I got a new juwel vision260

Discussion in 'Community Tanks' started by shakester, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Slojo

Slojo

Now this will sound like cruel advice.
    Shakester - Stop adding any more fish for the next 2 Months(or until winter is past.)
    This will let your tank settle.
    Do not add any more meds than what you already added.
    Do a 30 -40% waterchange weekly.
    Remove any dead fish that you find every morning-The deaths will stop.
    If you feel the need to buy,invest in Purigen.
    You can also buy more plants if you wish.
    Sit back and decide what fish you like best,then read up on them(feeding,breeding,suitable tankmates etc.)
    When the new season start you can then buy and stock your tank with confidence.

Zoom likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

I agree with everything you have said Slojo... except for one thing... and maybe you should clarrify it a bit more. In my opinion, Purigen is only good for one thing, chemically filtering as the packaging suggests, but more so removing tannins... I do not however believe that it will remove excess nitrates. Just curious as to why you would suggest to purchase purigen if he wants to continue stocking?

I still agree with you on everything else, and I think I said so in an earlier post to shakester to STOP buying and buying. And secondly, stop buying INCOMPATIBLE fish.

4. Slojo

Slojo

Ok when i used Purigen in my tanks the reading were as follows
    Nitrates - 0 ppm
    Nitrites - 0 ppm

I stopped using Purigen when i started planting heavy(I believe that the plants need the "waste":stupido3:)

From Seachems website.

Product Description
    Purigen® is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen’s™ impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity. Purigen® darkens progressively as it exhausts, and is easily renewed by treating with bleach. Purigen® is designed for both marine and freshwater use.

5. OP
    shakester

shakester

ya ,stopped buying after my ick ,which was while back .any ways think the tank will look good with diy moonlights ,
    the only thing i will add later
    is a few discus and some female bettas

6. Big G

Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

Surely your Tank will be too warm for female Bettas? Or have I got it wrong? Are Bettas happy in high temps? I am quite alarmed!

G!

7. OP
    shakester

shakester

never seen this puri gen ,sounds ,like mericale cure ,but if you do the water changes you dont have to
    and by the way discus are fine and feeding ,thought they would be a bit more thouchy and hard to keep

do the males and females ,have different water parameteter needs?

its currently whith the addition of the ehiem heater @ 31.5+-

8. OP
    shakester

shakester

damn wrong pic ,this was going to go on the oftopic tread ,
    about why you should hide your fish food

fricus.jpg

9. Sean J

Sean J

Ok, that temp is too high... One of the main things about keeping Discus, is that they do require a fairly high temp, but it should be at around 29 - 30 degrees MAX! The problem with keeping the temp this high, is that some plants don't like the high temps, and they start to wither and die. This increases the bioload for the filtration and the plants start to decompose. Purigen will regulate the decomp process, but it is not the miracle cure. Water changes, should be carried out.

This is the problem with keeping Discus in a planted tank. I know someone who does it, but the temp in his tank is around 27. And his discus seem to be pretty happy too! But he is an experienced fish keeper and beginners to discus should not try this, until they have a bit more experience...

With regards to your neons... I have personally found that neons are the biggest fish killer in the aquarium trade. The are inbred, they carry disease and they never last long. So neons in a discus tank is a massive no no! Rather get Cardinals and Rummynose Tetras. They are tough, but they are also a great indicator of water quality. The Rummies lose their bright red nose if the water quality is impeded. This gives you a quick indication that something is not right. Giving you enough time to figure out what is wrong.

Siamese fighters will not last very long at all in water that is too hot. Their metabolism speeds up and they are also prone to fungus at such high temps. Also, you might find that the discus will attack the bright colours. Always remember that a discus is a cichlid, and they can be aggressive if they want to.

Good luck on your discus tank, it is looking very nice! I hope the above info helps you to make some informed choices in the very near future.

shakester likes this.
  10. Vis

Vis Gerhard

Yes G, betta prefer 24-28C. I have said on a few ocasions that his betta does not sound happy at all.
    He posted a pic of the betta somewhere and it looks very thin.
    What do you feed him?
    Does he get food with the faster angels in the tank?

11. OP
    shakester

shakester

yip ,he is feed and happy ,with his female, every one told me about the temps soo ,it looks fine in there so it going to stay [period]
    neons just look so good ,hard to stay away from them ,
    and a cardi costs R30 for one\
    and for all you who thought i got ick from this and that ,IT CAME FROM THE FILTER

12. snyper564

snyper564 Dwarf Puffer

I must admit ick from the filter is possible - BUT and this is a huge but it is only possible if and ONLY if you used someone elses filter media that already had ick present in it. Ichthyophthirius has a life cycle and will effectively die out if there is no hosts for them this is why it is impossible to get ick from a new filter, and only from someone elses filter media. With regards to ick it does NOT always appear on the actual fishes body but can be in the gills as well there are some fishes that have this and only when you realise they have ick its to late. This is why quarenteening is absoulutely crucial to ensure that those little ich tomites never ever enter the main tank. Hope that helps

shakester likes this.
  13. OP
    shakester

shakester

OKAY .
    it was my filter and ,ick was identified by the black neons which had spotts ,the ick came from my oscars ,i had this filter running in their tank ,i removed it with its contents and hooked it up to my juwel ,soo,thats how the virus occurred.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2010
  14. snyper564

snyper564 Dwarf Puffer

Spot on finding the source is always the best way to find a solution to the problem. Hope its all gone ich is a NASTY thing to have in the tank

15. OP
    shakester

shakester

ya it is .
    but water life is the best garanteed solution
    what i did to sterilise my filter is
    put a teaspoon of jik and
    2 cupfuls of salt in a grinder then put it in a bowl add water and mix it
    add this concentrated solution to the filter canister and each media with its basket
    and let it stand overnight
    then i flushed it throughly and let it dry
    i then boiled each basket and media as well as the canister
    this surely did the trick ,people say do this and that
    i did them all

16. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

Hi Guys,

Shakester, I have asked you before to write some English and not this absolute nonsense, I mean I cannot even understand what you are trying to say most of the time.

I would really like to ask you to use a spell checker. Have you ever checked that the comma in a sentence should follow after the word, then there should be a space and then the next word starts. When one starts a sentence you should use capitals.

Most of the time, I and many others struggle to understand you on this forum. Please write something that we can understand. This is getting to be ridiculous.

Kind regards,

Dirk

Gert Combrink likes this.
  17. OP
    shakester

shakester

okay , that was-off topic

18. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Jik? You used Jik in your filter?

Firstly, I think you might have ruined your filter. Hopefully, for your sake, not permanently. Seriously, though, before trying out 'old wives tales' and unheard of techniques on your system, please tell us about it before you do, because 99% of the time these tactics are extremely dangerous for your fish. People on here have learned (by trial and error) what works and what doesn't, and with so many users, you're gonna get the right answer from someone.

It really wasn't.

19. OP
    shakester

shakester

1 teaspoon then throughly rinse,
    if you never try it ,dont hate it

20. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

Good morning Shakester,

What you are trying to tell us now is against all rules of keeping an aquarium. If you are using, or have used jik in a filter, then it shows that you do not understand the principle of how biological filter works, which is really a very serious error. An aquarium filter contains bacteria that break down the ammonia that fishes produce to nitrite and then another set of bacteria that break the nitrite to nitrate. This is absolutely essential as both ammonia and nitrite are highly toxic to fishes and will kill them in an aquarium. When you start off a new aquarium you will have this problem until the bacteria establish themselves. If you add jik to a filter, you WILL kill these bacteria and then you will cause your filter to have to start again. Adding jik to a filter is therefore utter nonsense and we cannot advise anyone to do this on this forum. This is nothing else than a HUGE error and if you want to keep fishes successfully you are going to have to do your homework properly about this sort of thing.

And your comments:

"1 teaspoon then throughly rinse,
    if you never try it ,dont hate it "

are nothing else than complete and utter nonsense. I would like to ask you not to make such comments as this is only confusing to aquarists that want to start off an aquarium and this forum tries to support starter aquarists as far as possible.

Kind regards,

Dirk

21. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I think there;s a reason I didn't try it - mainly because Jik will kill off the beneficial bacteria in my filter system. Beyond that, it's probably going ruin the filter media permanently, rendering it useless. You might as well throw the media away and buy new stuff.

What most people do in your case is remove the chemical filtration from the system (ie: take carbon filtration out), medicate the tank with the appropriate ich (ick) medication, do water changes according to the medication's lifespan in the system, and then allow for the medication to deal with this. In this case, some of the bacteria in your filter would die, but it's not nearly as bad as putting Jik in.

Recent Posts