I need help raising my ph

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by carl leathwhite, May 22, 2020 at 2:17 PM.

1. carl leathwhite

carl leathwhite

Hello i have a 270L tank with a large varity of fish my ph is currently about 5,4 which is quite low im looking to raise it to 7,0 and was wondering what the safest way to raise and maintain my PH

2. Guest

3. Cale24

Cale24

Are you keeping freshwater fish or Malawi/ Tanganyikan? pH of 5.4 is unusually low - what is your water source? And what test kits do you have?

Generally, crushed coral would be a start, as well as something like Seachem alkaline buffer, which raises pH/ KH. The latter with water changes as an active buffer, the former in a sump/ filter/ substrate mix, etc.
    Seachem Neutral Regulator maintains a pH of 7 but doesn't work well with planted tanks - another factor.

4. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

5.4 is quite low. What is the pH of your tap water? I doubt water will drop that low naturally so either your tap water is that low (which I doubt as it will corrode the pipes) or there is something dissolving in the water causing the pH to drop.

5. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I'd also take a second to be sure that your testing is accurate. pH paper test strips are notorious for losing accuracy over time, especially if they are exposed to humidity. Some of the the more commonly available (and cheaper) pH "pens" need to be calibrated regularly to give you a good read. I've worked with a few that had a nasty habit of reading progressively lower the longer they went without calibration.

If possible, try to get it tested again through another method.

6. A new day

A new day

In my first tank I’ve had pH drop down to 4,5 cause my water is super soft, I didn’t use crushed coral at that stage, plus untreated mopane driftwood. Dropped from 7 to 4,5 in 3 weeks, confirmed by lfs testing.

Recent Posts