Is Black-Beard Algae bad for a tank?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Inky1980, May 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Inky1980

Inky1980

Hi all,

I don't have a photo of it, but I have a lot on a large piece of wood of what I suspect is Black-Beard Algae (it looks exactly like the algae in the link below):

http://aquariumalgae.blogspot.co.za/2006/06/black-beard-algae-bba-red-brush-algae.html

The thing is, it has grown on a huge piece of wood in my tank and actually looks nice, but I'm worried that it's not a good thing to have. I haven't noticed any issues with my stock, and everyone in the tank seems happy, so I'm just wondering.

The piece of wood is quite tall and one part of it is in line with one of my filter outlets, which causes the algae to "flutter" in the current which looks pretty nice.

Thanks!

(P.S - I have 4 Angels, 5 Corydoras, and 11 Red Eye Tetra in this 250L tank)

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. Guest

3. Vis

Vis Gerhard

Only problem with BBA is when it grows on plants and make them look bad.

If you like it on your driftwood then let it grow.

Only thing that one might ask is what caused the BBA in your tank.

4. OP
    Inky1980

Inky1980

The portion where it grows the thickest is quite close to the light which is on all day and also right in line with one of the filter outlets. From what I read online, this particular algae likes flowing water, so I guess the combination of the light and water flow is perfect for it to grow.

I have some algae on some the leaves of my Amazon Swords, but nothing I can't just rub off once a week. I don't have a heck of a lot of real plants in this tank, but I'm planning to add more over time.

5. Jwh

Jwh

Have the same issue, live and let live, Flagtail seems to like grazing on it, when it appear on stones in generally I turn them over. I recently went from t5 fluorescent tubes to LED and the BBA seems to be slowly (very slowly) receding. Check your nitrates and phosphates, high levels of these will aggravate the situation

6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

As long as it isn't smothering you plants, it shouldn't be a problem
    I also agree that a bit of algae (as long as it is under control), gives a tank a more natural look.

7. Udo

Udo

For me its the worst algae to have. Hardest to get rid off to, I got some in my tank when i had a imbalance in co2 and light, fluctuation. Still trying to get rid off it. I tried hydrogen peroxide, seachem execl, and ista algae remover, even have some Siamese algae eaters. Still no good results.

8. Innocent159

Innocent159

Best thing to do is cut the leaves imo.. had same problem but when the tank is balanced the other leaves stil had bba on so i cut it off.

Only problem is when you have slow growing plants

9. Udo

Udo

i do cut the leaves, but you are right about the slow growing plants especially my anubias. bba loves to grow on anubias for some reason

Innocent159 likes this.

Recent Posts