Is dehumidifier water safe for fish tanks?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Neville, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Neville

Neville

I recently got a small dehumidifier for the house to help with the humidity in the house during the Cape Winter. It has a HEPA filter as well which also helps for my dust allergies etc. So the water that it "produces" seems crystal clear and I was wondering if it would be safe to use to top up my planted, community fish tank?

I haven't tested it for anything as I'm not sure what I would test for. It is mostly in the lounge not to far away from my tank so I suppose it might actually be catching some of the condensation from the tank itself, therefore I'm guessing could contain some nitrates etc but I'm stretching my limited chemistry knowledge here...

On humid, rainy days (thank Heaven's for that lately!) I can empty it out twice a day. That is almost 5L of nice clean water...seems a pity to use it for the toilet if it is safe for the tank?

2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

I was looking into a dehumidifier for the fish room .. and seem to recall reading a thread on a UK site saying it was not a good idea. For the life of me, I think it was because of the impurities that the dehumidifier potentially pulls from the air ... the guys seems ok with using it for plants but not for aquarium or other pets.

Later Ferdie

Neville likes this.
  4. OP
    Neville

Neville

Thanks Ferdie, I was thinking the same thing. I've been using it for my plants and also in my small pond outside. There are no fish in my pond though, just some water lillies. All pot plants doing ok so far.

5. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Very good, I suppose it is that what if issue ... you never know who is spraying what in the air ...

Later Ferdie

Recent Posts