Is it possible for Ghost shrimp to produce Red Cherry Shrimp?

Discussion in 'General Fish Discussions' started by Jason182, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Jason182

Jason182

Hi Guys, I've been locked up in my room for a week now, and still will be for another week as I tested Positive for Covid 19, anyway long story short I'm strong like a Russian but obviously I've spend literally days staring into my fish tank as there's not much else to do and I noticed the strangest thing. I have probably around 10 + baby red cherry shrimp (some are not completely red though but look like ghost shrimp with red patches), they are absolutely minuscule. Where it gets weird is that I have never bought red cherry shrimp, only ghost or "feeder shrimp". I bought 100 of them around 3 months ago as I felt sorry for them and wanted to to save them from fish bellies, they have since settled in really well and bread like flies but now these red cherry shrimp pop up??? Could they have come with the shrimp as eggs by chance when I got the Ghosties or is it possible for two Ghost Shrimp to produce Red Cherries?

T. Guppy likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

You could have had low grade cherries that are now producing?

4. A new day

A new day Moderator

Yes sounds as if they’re brown / wild colouration / low grade neocaridina and not ghost shrimp.

Glad you’re doing ok despite the COVID! Chatted to @MariaS a few days ago and she (and her 2 daughters in law) also got COVID! Luckily she said hers wasn’t too bad and she was on day 16 already. Sjoe!!

Whoknows likes this.
  5. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Shame she's really not having it good of late.. Glad she's pulling through though!
    @Jason182 hope you also get better!
    I agree you probably just have really low grade cherries and the reds are coming through here and there..

A new day likes this.
  6. Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

I spoke to her the other day and didn't even know. Shame that sucks

A new day likes this.
  7. OP
    Jason182

Jason182

Shame , sorry to hear that, it spreads insanely fast, I hope they'll be ok, but I'm all good thanks guys, I was man down on day 2, with severe body pains and tiredness, but from day 3 til now, day 7 I've actually felt fine, cough is pretty much gone, but I still don't have my smell and taste back yet, looks like I'm one of the lucky ones. And speaking of luck, guess I lucked out on the shrimp, buying a few cheapo feeders and ending up with beautiful red cherry shrimp!

Recent Posts