LED life span

Discussion in 'General Equipment discussion' started by rsa, Mar 3, 2016.

1. rsa

rsa

Hi All , so I have some Chinese led lights running in my tank for approximately 6 months . Do they become less effective over time ? Could be wrong but didn't @f-fish mention something like this ???

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

They sure do, but just add another string ... if you do not let them get to hot the affect is way less.

Been using the same strings now for 14 months ... still get growth so all good.

I am not sure about the ADA like kits .. but when I see second hand light I have to wonder.

Later Ferdie

4. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Can't remember exact.y, but I think my LEDs have an expected life of approx 10,000 hours

5. Jwh

Jwh

@Reedfish, bought some recently, they claim 35000 hours on one type, 50000 hours on anther. I plugged one in, dead within 10 days. Had a similar experience with led flood lights, meant to last for also around 35000 hours, lasted maybe couple of 100 hours.
    Pit all comes down to the quality of the unit, with everything coming from China these days, it's the luck of the draw.

6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I spent quite a lot on my LEDs.
    But it's a well know brand, so I would hope that I have paid for quality.

7. mik

mik

What they dont tell you is at what point performance decreases. Whilst this happens to all lights, I think the performance of an led in comparison to its total life deteriorates faster than a t5/t8.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  8. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

Interesting thread. I'm currently running only LED's on all my tanks. From high to low end in price and the only problem that I picked up is that the power supplies don't last. Might this be due to our unstable power supplies?

9. OP
    rsa

rsa

@mik . This is actually what i wanted to know . 10-30000 hours life span ,in this this time is it always putting out optimum light ? Or after lets say 5000 hours efficiency and performance decreased ? . Reason Im asking is that I started my tank about 6 months ago . Results where excellent with the cheap led lighting . Noticed a slowing of growth recently. Although the growth is still good there is a big difference .

10. mik

mik

I noticed the same when I used led lights. @f-fish would be best to provide a reasonable estimate.

But the challenge here is different makes and brands on the market

11. OP
    rsa

rsa

From previous posts @fish seems to be very knowledgeable in this area. He seems to have done all the diy systems for cheap led products . Thats why i went this route. Interesting to find out that you also experienced the same effect. Im running t8 led units in my setup ,basically a led strip mounted on a aluminium base with a cool white cover . They also have the clear cover option .

12. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

no hard and fast rules, unless you can find a brand / distributor that will guarantee the 30 000 - 50 000 lifespan it is all just marketing.

I can tell you what kills LEDs .. moisture, heat hot spots, bad PSU

If you can run your LED that it is still cool to the touch and it never gets moisture you are good to some degree.

Yes some strips last way longer than others - for cheap LED 5630 strips - the ones that you buy in 5 m lengths - these I would mount on H-bar aluminium under power them - rather add another if you need more light. Even these start out supper white but will go a bit yellow when the silicon changes over time.

5730 - solid strips seem way brighter but I suspect I am not getting a broad light spectrum from them and the waterproof lacquer does not seem as affective over time as the silicone encasing of the above.

As for running red strips - these run hot no matter what I did and they only lasted 6 months if.

Have not done COB since mounting is a pain for me - I like the H-bar solution allows me to do glass tops on the tanks.

T5 / T8 replacement units - the range available is too wide ... and this is true hit and miss not to mention what is on the box from one batch to the next might not be as indicated of what the actual silicone is so check them out.

In general I have done ok with 5630 LED and 5730 LED the rest is a coin flip.

But again I am doing low growth tanks that are not too deep, that is purely because I am not keen on all the heat I would need to deal with if I upped LED etc.

The true magic with LED (not saying the cheap ones) is that you can dial into the exact light spectrum mix you need ... but these units are expensive.

What is cheaper in the end - DIY T5 or DIY LED - nothing beats Opple T5's - ok Spectrum, 220 volts over the tank - mounting and ballast all-in-one.

Why do I like running LED lights - less heat, more control over power consumption, no need for bulky fixtures and when I do run a T5/8 replacement unit I have less light bleed and no need for reflectors.

So how many tanks have LEDs at the moment - 17. Not all for planted tanks, some just to say yes that tank has some light and in the corner I have moss or java fern growing.
    and other lights - 1 with 2 Opple T5's CFL ( I drowned the LEDS by accident have not replaced them ) so back to opple for now. But with winter coming I need to put the glass tops back so will probably go back to LED.
    and another with 2 x CFL PLL on the boyu - still have spare tubes so will probably use that for a few more years.

Later Ferdie

Dinky likes this.
  13. OP
    rsa

rsa

Thanks for feedback Ferdie.

14. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

I am really not kidding about water.

Been repair / replacing a few bits ...

Had a spectacular failure mid week on a water proof string.
    [​IMG]

And then lost a new 5730 light a few months back.

[​IMG]

Later Ferdie

15. Preggy

Preggy

HI Guys,

How are you mounting your LED strips on your hoods/ canopy.
    Currently mine are fitted to Aluminum tubings meant for the LED strips and resting on the tank. Within 2 weeks they have corroded. I need to mount them high up i think. The other issue i see is that my hood has a lot of moisture on it.

16. Preggy

Preggy

17. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Yeah that is about right, you either get flooded led strips, silicone strips or light units that are waterproof.

Later Ferdie

18. Blade

Blade

I have designed my own led system for marine which is sealed on the face were leds face towards the tank. Each unit has 3 x 80mm fans which force air into the led unit preventing moisture build up in the light and fitted with a 40 degree thermal on switch. There is a double protection layer between the led itself and the outside thus preventing salt splashes effecting the leds electronics. These units come with wifi led controller and psu. Light spectrum from 410nm to 20000k and 30000k. Each unit will provide 234 watts of power and one can daisy chain up to 3 units off one 5 channel controller via a 8 pin sealed metal multipin plug. Setup can be done from either android or pc and light channels and times are easy custom to your requirements.

I will be manufacturing these units for sale to those who are interested. A similar unit from overseas is about R15K.

This unit has taken me over 3 months to develop and testing will be conducted shortly.

The unit can be suspened above the tank at a height of 350mm and upwards.

I will carry a full range of spare if needed and shipped overnight to you if required.

These lights are customized for marine and fresh water.

Marine Atlantic LED System - 1.jpg

19. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Dinky likes this.
  20. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

2 1/2 years later and my LED's are still in good shape. Not one bulb has failed yet. Rough calculation is I am just approaching the 10,000 hours usage advertised on the box

21. andries

andries

With 25 years experience in underground mining, we had a lot of lighting configurations. First were 60/100 w clear globes. Then came T8 flouro tubes. Replaced that with cfl's (biggest mistake ever) and then LED (most expensive) tubes. Now we are back to good old T8 flouro tubes. Nothing beats it in regards money spent, longevity, water/damp and labour.

mik likes this.

Recent Posts