Let's meet the Planted Tank Members - please introduce yourself

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by A new day, Aug 27, 2019.

1. A new day

A new day Moderator

Do you keep at least 1 live aquatic plant? Do you keep several beautifully scaped planted tanks? Are you an old hand, or a newbie like me? Somewhere in between?

It doesn’t matter, please introduce us to your planted tank(s) and your approach by answering (at least some of) the questions below and posting tank pics. And/or links to tank journals, if you have.

This is not a competition, but a celebration of the diversity offered by TASA members, inspired by the August 2019 Tank of the Month competition https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/august-2019-tank-of-the-month-entries.33086/

@Slade , @T. Guppy , others and I thought it would be a nice opportunity to interact, be inspired, for older and newer members to get to know each other a bit, to get a sense of what’s out there etc.

Perhaps this can ‘bump’ some great older planted tank threads (there is a treasure chest of great older posts on TASA, but for newbies it can be very difficult to find). Perhaps we can lure out a couple of forum ‘stalkers’ J Perhaps we can hear from some members who haven’t been active lately.

1. How many planted tanks do you currently keep? For the purposes of this poll, if you have at least 1 live plant, it counts. For interest sake, how many L of water does this add up to?

2. What is your prime focus / interest? Aquascaping / fishkeeping / both equally.

3. Which aquascaping style describes your planted tank(s) best? Do you keep tanks in different styles or do you tend to stick to one specific style?
    - jungle
    - iwagumi
    - nature style (eg what George Farmer is most famous for)
    - biotope
    - dutch
    - paludarium
    - wabi-kusa
    - another specific aquascaping style not listed
    - I won’t call my planted tank ‘scaped’, I just wing it

4. How long have you kept planted tanks for? Has your style changed along the way?

5. How do you feel about keeping live aquatic plants?
    - They’re awesome! (Tell us why, what are the benefits for you)
    - Neutral
    - Such a hassle. (Tell us why)

6. How many different plant species do you currently keep? If you have 2 types of crypts, it counts as 2.
    - 1 to 10
    - 11 to 50
    - 51 to 100
    - more than 100

7. Are your tanks high-tech or low-tech?
    - High-tech (e.g CO2 injection, high light, high ferts, demanding plants)
    - Low-tech
    - Some of my tanks are high-tech and some are low-tech

8. Tank pruning/trimming schedule?

- small trims frequently

- large trims now and then

- when I see the need

- I don't prune forests

Slade and T. Guppy like this.
  2. Guest

3. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Thank you @A new day for starting this thread!

1. I have 2 tanks, 1 is a 30l tank the other is a 120l I think (3ft)

2. My prime interest was originally fish keeping only, but from the beginning I have always had live plants and I'm now really getting into trying to get plants to grow, so now I'd say my prime interest is both equally.

3. My style is definitely just winging it lol!

4. I started the first tank (30l) in December and the 2nd one I started in April.

5. Keeping live plants is definitely awesome! They're just as interesting and (to me) just as challenging as keeping the whole fish tank! Plus they definitely add to the whole natural ecosystem effect, and they're nice to look at lol!

6. I have 8 different types of plants: some duckweed, a water lettuce, an anubias, some water wisteria, some Amazon swords and the other 2 not too sure but they were ID'd as Alternanthera reineckii and rotala wallichi. In my small tank I also have one of those bamboos that you grow in water in a vase, not sure what it's called though

7. Both tanks are low-tech

8. I have barely pruned any of my plants except to remove dead leaves now and then.

15669112559098557027331206594450.jpg

15669112945111374387879666609608.jpg

Slade, Cale24 and A new day like this.
  4. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

1. How many planted tanks do you currently keep? For the purposes of this poll, if you have at least 1 live plant, it counts. For interest sake, how many L of water does this add up to?
    Six:
    3x 30l
    2x 60l
    1x 250l

Total: 460l

2. What is your prime focus / interest? Aquascaping / fishkeeping / both equally.

More fishkeeping, only one tank is a scape

3. Which aquascaping style describes your planted tank(s) best? Do you keep tanks in different styles or do you tend to stick to one specific style?
    One tank is nature style, the others just have whatever I get to grow in there.

4. How long have you kept planted tanks for? Has your style changed along the way?
    3.5 years, not much has changed but I know more now. My most serious scape has been running for a year

Definitely a plus, with a little effort and lighting they magnify the aesthetic of a tank and provide wonderful cover for the fish

6. How many different plant species do you currently keep? If you have 2 types of crypts, it counts as 2.

About 25, not keeping track

One high tech that's mostly DIY, the rest are low tech.

Scape is trimmed when necessary, otherwise nada.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

Hi everyone,

1. I have 2 planted tanks, a 180L and a 65 L = about 240L

I think both equally

3. I tend to go for jungle style. The 180L is jungle style, I suppose. The 65L (dwarf gourami tank) has a bit of an identity crisis :lol:
    I have a deep appreciation for all the different styles though.

4. Only a couple of months. I've learnt a lot already (from a very low base) and have a lot more to learn.
    - The 65L was my first tank and kind of just evolved from a handful of plants I couldn't name (half of them blacklisted as @Pezulu pointed out :lol:, I've removed them). The latest addition was the root plants (swords and crypts) to help with tank health - since then the tank has become very low maintenance. https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/...-tank-so-far-so-good.32770/page-2#post-413044
    It has awful gravel though, I'll never recommend it, so I'll probably replace the substrate at some point.

- With the 180L I did a lot more scape planning before hand. https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/...ngle-aquarium-newbie.32910/page-2#post-413040

5. I think live plants are awesome! There are the practical tank-keeping benefits e.g. absorbing nitrates, absorbing gunk from below the gravel, keeping algae at bay. Benefits for fish, e.g. hiding spots, many fish feel more comfortable in a planted tank. Aesthetics. Also I like gardening and pottering around, so aquatic plants opened up another dimension to gardening for me.

6. Probably around 30 or so plant species?

- The 65L is definitely low-tech.
    - I see the 180L as low-tech because I don't inject CO2, but it has good lighting and I add liquid CO2 and ferts daily to support the rotala growth etc.

- 65L is very low maintenance & slow growing plants. Just removing the odd leaf every now and again when necessary, and trimming the ludwigia very occasionally.
    - On the 180L I do regular small trims on the stem plants every now and again, so I defs spend more time on the pruning. But probably just because I like pottering around :thumbup:

180L.jpg

65L_2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Rainstorm, MariaS, Slade and 3 others like this.
  6. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

@Hendre your nature scape looks amazing! Such a lush carpet. I haven’t seen that tank before, thanks for sharing. What livestock do you have in there?

@T. Guppy your tanks are coming along so nicely! If those 2 stem plants don’t end up working well for you it’s because they are demanding plants usually more suited for high-tech. Don’t despair if that happens, there are others like ludwigia and bacopa that are easier in low-tech.

7. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Thanks @A new day! I'm going to buy some flourish or scape complete next week and see if that helps, but I'm actually planning on saving up till December and rescapimg my big tank because it's a bit empty, and this time I'll do my research better!

A new day likes this.
  8. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Thanks, unfortunately I'll probably be tearing this down when I go to study. Stock is an otto, remainders of my blue eye rainbows and an exploding shrimp population :)

A new day and T. Guppy like this.
  9. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

@A new day your tank with the pink light looks so nice!I assume that's the 65l? The gravel looks quite nice with the whole set up I think! You're second tank looks really good too!!

A new day likes this.
  10. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

Oh dear, always sad when a good scape needs to go! At least you’ll have photos and I’m sure there will be a lot more tanks for you when life allows :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  11. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

Thanks! Yes the 65 L. It is a full spectrum LED but very low light. Just enough for the (low light) plants to grow, not enough light for algae. Which makes it low maintenance but a bit tricky to take photos of :)
    Problem with this gravel is that uneaten food falls into the gaps, and it’s too sharp too.

T. Guppy likes this.
  12. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

On ok I can see why you'd want to change it then..

A new day likes this.
  13. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

@Hendre what did you use as carpeting plant?

14. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

It's Monte carlo, with an intrusion of mosses :eek:

A new day likes this.
  15. Slade

Slade

1. How many planted tanks do you currently keep?
    • 1x 4ft ~200l )
    • 1x 1.5ft ~35l > +-350l
    • 6x 1ft ~20l )

2. What is your prime focus / interest?
    • fishkeeping

3. Which aquascaping style describes your planted tank(s) best? Do you keep tanks in different styles or do you tend to stick to one specific style
    • I won’t call my planted tank ‘scaped’, I just wing it :p

• 1 year now and no, I dumped everything in and hope it lived when I started and I dump everything in and hope it lives now :lol:

• They’re awesome! - I have found that plants have helped keep my water conditions stable, make my fish happy (even if I can't see them half the time) and keep my nitrates down between water changes.

6. How many different plant species do you currently keep?
    • 1 to 10 (5) -
      1. Amazon Sword (giant, too big if I don't cut down)
      2. Alternanthera Reineckii "Pink" (my new plant I'm testing out)
      3. Java Moss (amazing little stuff)
      4. Duckweed (infamously EVERYWHERE, I started with just 3 stowaways and wasn't smart enough to throw it out then, now I throw cup fulls out weekly)
      5. Anacharis (yes, illegal, I'm trying to get rid of it but I will say this is still my favorite :oops:)

• - Low-tech

• I don't prune forests (... I just chop it down when I can't see my fish :lol:)

*Disclaimer- I took all new pictures but was WAY too lazy to clean the tanks first and all the "dark closet" tanks (all but the 4ft) only get the glass wiped down when we have visitors :oops::rolleyes::lol:

My main tank, 4ft. Left (in the driftwood)- Java Moss, Left third- Amazon Sword, Whole top- Duckweed, Right (the green soccer ball)- Anacharis, Front right- Alternanthera Reineckii "Pink"
    20190827_173905.jpg

Sorority, 1.5ft. Everywhere- Anacharis and Duckweed (5 female Betta's in there and no fighting in a year cause the Anacharis makes a jungle like environment... OR I'm just that lucky?)
    20190827_173450.jpg

Shrimp tank, 1ft. Everywhere- Java Moss (surprisingly fast grower... that too started as a stowaway plant)
    20190827_173540.jpg

Betta bar, 5x 1ft (well... tank no.2 has guppies in since my cat decided to have sushi one day :( but its still called a Betta bar). Every tank- Anacharis and Duckweed.
    20190827_173623.jpg

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  16. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Some stunning tanks guys!!

@Hendre, that carpet looks amazing...
    Will really be a pity taking it down....

@A new day ,

Love the Molly tank... looks amazing
    Gravel on the second one... not my cup tea and you right... everything will get trapped in the gravel
    Look forward to the rescape

@Slade, like your main display tank, not overdone but looks very, very nice.. I like it

@T. Guppy ,

Looking good and plants coming along nicely

A new day and Slade like this.
  17. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

Yes @Slade ditto that. And it sounds low maintenance too!

Slade likes this.
  18. Slade

Slade

Thanks @A new day and @MariaS , it is super low maintenance but as my child gets older I plan to do more work with it (current 2 and she's earned ALL my spare time just by being born :)) she is already helping me feed them which is a pro... even strokes the Betta's who weirdly seem to enjoy it :lol:

MariaS, T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  19. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

@MariaS Do you have any planted tanks to share? :D

MariaS, Rainstorm and Slade like this.
  20. Slade

Slade

(psssst... @T. Guppy look at her profile pic...)

MariaS likes this.
  21. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Hehe she is the momma of the rays here, but I'm sure I see a plant in that profile pic;) even just 1 plant counts!:lol:

MariaS, A new day and Slade like this.

Recent Posts