Let's meet the Planted Tank Members - please introduce yourself

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by A new day, Aug 27, 2019.

1. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

1. How many planted tanks do you currently keep? For the purposes of this poll, if you have at least 1 live plant, it counts. For interest sake, how many L of water does this add up to?

I have 4, about 250L in total.

2. What is your prime focus / interest? Aquascaping / fishkeeping / both equally.

Natural Biotopes and breeding.

3. Which aquascaping style describes your planted tank(s) best? Do you keep tanks in different styles or do you tend to stick to one specific style?

- biotope

4. How long have you kept planted tanks for? Has your style changed along the way?

4 years,

5. How do you feel about keeping live aquatic plants?

- They’re awesome! (Tell us why, what are the benefits for you)
    Pollution reduction

6. How many different plant species do you currently keep? If you have 2 types of crypts, it counts as 2.

- 11 to 50

7. Are your tanks high-tech or low-tech?

Loweset of the low, some even unfiltered

8. Tank pruning/trimming schedule?

- when I see the need

here's 2 of them.
    20190721_192722.jpg
    20190812_182158.jpg
    and for nostalgic value..........
    IMG_20170215_192001.jpg

2. Guest

3. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

Thank you so much for sharing @BoelderBeestie Your relaxed approach to planted tanks is in stark contrast to your discus breeding operations ;)

Very nice and interesting to see the biotopes, the tanks look so natural and soft on the eye. Can you tell us more about the no-filtration tanks? Or perhaps post a link if you’ve already discussed elsewhere?

4. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

In my unfiltered tank, everything inside the tank is bio media. The gravel, the rocks, everything. This only works with a very light bio load. I don't keep fish in these, only shrimp. The water is just moved around by a small powerhead and planted well. The tank in the first picture doesn't have a filter and has been running now for about 2 years without incident.

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  5. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

Thank you, that’s amazing!

6. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Wow some really good tanks that put mine to shame LOL

@Hendre you've come a long way with aquascaping. Well done! That is a very impressive scape you got there.

@BoelderBeestie you also have come a long way from barely having nothing. Those tanks look stunning.

@A new day, wow your tank puts all of my aquascapes to shame. That's a lovely view of both tanks.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Hendre likes this.
  7. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

@Rainstorm waiting for your wabi-kusa :thumbup:

8. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

I'll post soon. Just got off a 5 hour shift and had to deal with emails

A new day likes this.
  9. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

1. How many planted tanks do you currently keep? For the purposes of this poll, if you have at least 1 live plant, it counts. For interest sake, how many L of water does this add up to?
    - 1 x 27L but about 5cm of water, I think. I lost my ruler so I have nothing to measure it against

2. What is your prime focus / interest? Aquascaping / fishkeeping / both equally.
    - Aquascaping

3. Which aquascaping style describes your planted tank(s) best? Do you keep tanks in different styles or do you tend to stick to one specific style?
    - wabi-kusa

4. How long have you kept planted tanks for? Has your style changed along the way?

5. How do you feel about keeping live aquatic plants?
    - They’re awesome! (Tell us why, what are the benefits for you)

The benefits of having plants indoors during the winter - greenery all year round ;)

6. How many different plant species do you currently keep? If you have 2 types of crypts, it counts as 2.
    - 5, I think.

7. Are your tanks high-tech or low-tech?
    - Low-tech

8. Tank pruning/trimming schedule?
    - small trims frequently

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More information on Wabi-Kusa - https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/wabi-kusa.33048/#post-413501

T. Guppy, Slade and A new day like this.
  10. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

@Rainstorm could you perhaps also post the link to your thread about wabi-kusa? It’s very informative.

@pierreschoonraad don’t you also have a wabi-kusa (and other planted tanks)?

Rainstorm likes this.
  11. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Done in my previous post on here.

A new day likes this.
  12. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

I will take some pictures tonight, try and see if I remember the water volumes (or recalculate them), try and count the plants.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

A new day and T. Guppy like this.
  13. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

Great, thanks! Please don’t make a special effort to count plants and calculate water volumes - ball park figures are more than good enough :thumbup:

14. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Yeah like me, I estimated 5 and it's actually 6 LOL

T. Guppy likes this.
  15. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

Ok let's give this a go.

1. Basicly 4 and 3/4, after scaling down to 3 and a 1/2 a while ago.
    30cm cube about 20L.
    Log tank about 5L (the 1/2 tank) no filter.
    Wabi Kusa'ish about 500ml (the 1/4 tank) no filter.
    3ft shellie tank.
    3ft cross banded chocolate gourami tank.
    1.5ft work in progress, no filter.

Can't remember what the volumes are on the 2 x 2ft although the gourami tanks volume is way less than the shellies due to way more hardscape and plants.

2. Prime focus? Does tranquility count? With the aquariums I have running 3 is a balance between plants and fish, planted to suite the fish. The other 1 and 3/4 focus more on the plants as only the 1/2 one has shrimp in it and the others just plants.
    In the end I guess that the prime focus, for me, will be to sit and stare at the interaction of the fish in the, man made, setting they are in. Sometimes for hours at a time.

3. I think that each tank has it's own style of scaping. I love nature scapes as it gives you more freedom in expression, I don't bind myself to the golden ratio of scaping but more to what looks good to me.

4. Started with plastic plants about 9 years ago but very quickly changed over to real plants.

5. Plants are awesome!!!!!!! The benefit of plants, for me, has a way bigger role than any filtration system. If you have low stocking levels. The bigger the bio load the more you will need to shift the focus to filtration. All my aquariums have a 0 reading for amonia, nitrate and nitrites.

6. Anubias, buce, crypts, bolbitus, hygrophila pinnatifida and moss. How many I don't know. I have a soft spot for anubias and will get one I think I don't have. Can't even remember the names of the ones I have.

7. All low tech

8. Removal of dead or damaged leaves maybe once a month or not.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BoelderBeestie, MariaS, Slade and 2 others like this.
  16. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

@pierreschoonraad stunning and very inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing. You have a great diversity going there.
    Yes tranquility... when things go smoothly or one can start to see the results :thumbup: Very meditative to stare blankly at a tank

picautomaton and T. Guppy like this.
  17. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

Thanks @A new day. I kept the aquariums that had the most personal value for me. So in the end just sitting there staring at nothing/everything is what it's about

A new day and T. Guppy like this.
  18. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

@pierreschoonraad can’t some of your tanks also be described as biotope? Eg blackwater?

19. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

Yes the gourami tank can, in a way. It is a black water tank but none of the plants are native to the area where they naturally come from. Except the one buce in there.
    The shellie tank is more in line with a biotope as all the plants, except the crypts, are African. Although I'm sure none of them come from Lake Tanganyika.

A new day likes this.
  20. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

That's awesome @Slade..
    Love it when the little ones show interest, and most do, and they allowed to do small things that starts teaching them how to care and love the fish or other pets for that matter
    It is amazing that you say the Betta's seem to enjoy it because funny enough my little step grand son who is also just under 2 loves the fish when he comes over and Spooky, my Aro will rub herself against the glass asking for attention from him
    Havent allowed him to pat her yet.... that mouth is a bit big to take a chance as yet

A new day, pierreschoonraad and Slade like this.
  21. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Hahhha you must be asking for miracles!!!!

About 4 years ago I was determined I would have plants which I love, and that goes for my garden too
    So.... for over two years I spent a small fortune on plants while Polkadot and friends and I.. had a constant contest of wills...
    Needless to say they only got bigger and the scale just tipped all the way in their favour and I eventually threw in the towel

I think my tank gets re-scapped every day, some times more than once a day
    My wood gets moved around... ROCKS get blown around.. live plants just don't stand a chance...
    So I admire all your stunning tanks... just no go for me for now

Recent Posts