Little Big Tank

Discussion in 'General Fish Discussions' started by Dale Honeyman, Oct 19, 2019.

1. OP
    Dale Honeyman

Dale Honeyman

Thanks @MariaS (if I'm not mistaken you keep discus yourself correct?) I plan on getting more of them next year, these were actually @Figeth 's discus but they weren't happy at 27.5°, there was a slight chance so we took it but they weren't the happiest so we moved them to my tank which was prepping for discus. I plan on getting more next year hopefully from a few breaders around Cape Town if they'll allow me the honor of having one or 2!:lol:

MariaS and Figeth like this.
  2. Guest

3. OP
    Dale Honeyman

Dale Honeyman

The news on the discus are.... They are doing pretty well, they were freaking me out a lot, they still are but I'm slightly more relaxed now. IMG_20191102_152446.jpg
    This one looks like it is going to color up beautifully when he or she (can someone sex it?) is fully settled and eating well and just plain dandy in the tank...is a bit of a bully to the other one though, it kind of herds the other one around the tank and away from food sometimes which is a problem I feel but keeping an eye out.
    IMG_20191102_152329.jpg
    This one wasn't doing the greatest for the passed few days...really thought that it was going to die today just because it wouldn't eat and when it would try, the other one would sort of barge in and distract it. It will be a plain blue when it's fully coloured up. It is eating now though! It likes the small orange pellet food (prima granules) so thank goodness for that! Will try get it eating fully and back up to full strength and then start with frozen food and brimshrimp for it.

No my discus aren't the greatest shapes but they are cute and they are kind of my test discus in a way to see if I can manage keeping discus.

IMG_20191102_152318.jpg
    Last but not least....water change bucket! Lol

MariaS and Figeth like this.
  4. OP
    Dale Honeyman

Dale Honeyman

Just so you all know, my water isn't green. My light has some green LEDs in it and with the green from the light and plants, my camera makes all the images look a green or a browny colour

Figeth likes this.
  5. BadgerBadger

BadgerBadger

Only just saw this thread now. My only advice at this stage is to take it slowly. I know it’s all very exciting right now, but there’s no point rushing things. Based on your feedback it seems like there’s a lot going going on, and a lot of experimentation - just relax and take some time to plan a little bit, because otherwise you will get into a situation where you are constantly trying to balance conditions based on what all the different fish require to be happy. Otherwise, the tank looks great!

MariaS and Dale Honeyman like this.
  6. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Yes we did keep discus in the past
    We started off by believing some of the bs stories on Google and YouTube and we had discus with the Ray's when they were small
    We soon learnt that people post about things but never follow up or update when it's a failure and we had to setup a discus tank
    However as the ray project developed and breeding we couldn't give the discus the attention they deserve and a friend took them over

7. OP
    Dale Honeyman

Dale Honeyman

Discus and rays...interesting, must've loved pretty cool!

8. OP
    Dale Honeyman

Dale Honeyman

Does anyone know where I can get peat moss from? If I can buy at a store or somewhere?

9. OP
    Dale Honeyman

Dale Honeyman

@MariaS you were right about the number of discus I had. They weren't the happiest of chappies and the one stopped eating completely in fear of the other one being such a big bully. It would try and eat and the end up getting smacked and nipped by the other one:(so I got 2 more hopefully to even out the playing field but it still bullied all the other discus so it ended up going back to the shop:(feel bad because I think it liked my tank and it had started colouring up beautifully! So now I have 4 discus and they all chilled with each other, everyone is eating and they seem to be having a good time:thumbup:

MariaS and T. Guppy like this.
  10. OP
    Dale Honeyman

Dale Honeyman

15732107140773401119587092066021.jpg I'm looking for advice here. I have a discus that is being a bit of a wimp if I'm honest. I have 4 in my tank as well as 2 angel fish. All three other discus get along but they won't let the 4th one have its on space and are constantly excluding it and bullying it to the point where they chase it off its food. I make sure when I feed that the food spreads around the tank so if it does get the chance to eat then it can. I have tried to separate it and get it to full health before already and as soon as it goes back into the big section of the tank then it's back to being a wimp and not eating... Any advice as to what I should do? Currently just waiting things out for it and hoping it will stand up for itself and control its spot in the tank like all the others have

11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

That is exactly what happens
    They want their own company but are still cichlids at the end of the day
    Glad it's all worked out well and all best with them
    They need to be well fed to thrive thus always keep up your water changes and vacuum dirt off bottom of the tank

Recent Posts