Wanted: Looking for large fish

Discussion in 'Wanted/Swop/Freebies' started by kyleh, Apr 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyleh

kyleh

Hi all, my new 1300L is up and running currently have a pangasius hi fin in there with a young red tail catfish, im looking for any large fish you would like to rehome in the johannesburg area NOTE this is if you are needing to rehome your big fish not sell

2. Guest

3. Ortaega

Ortaega

nice tank volume, thought would still not be recommending any of the stock you currently have. They even outgrow that size tank and I wish they would not allow these fish for any aquariums. To properly keep them you need more like a big swimming pool. Nice to take them from others and to place them in a bigger environment, but sorry to say even your setup to small for these fish.

Goodluck

Hendre and Reedfish like this.
  4. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I agree with @Ortaega
    Nice big tank, but the two fish you have in it aren’t suitable. They both have the potential to grow to a meter in length, if not more. And are predatory.

Not sure what the options are re rehoming them. Perhaps Jhb zoo will take them?
    And plan your stocking around more suitable fish. Just as an example. Oscars, Tinfoil Barbs, Silver Dollars, Flagtails etc. Get to a decent size and would be ok in the tank of that volume

Ortaega likes this.
  5. OP
    kyleh

kyleh

Thanks guys the fish are still juvenile and will likely take a year or so to outgrow the tank, especially with the design of the tank not hindering them at a larger size from being able to turn happily. However once they start to get to a size point where I see its needed ill begin building the backyard river/pond which the pangasius and redtail will go into with one or 2 other fish. This tank will be predominantly silver dollars hopefully but as for now if anyone has anyfish they can no longer home im happy to take them on and place them in one of my suitable aquariums

Ortaega likes this.
  6. top dog

top dog

makes more sense to have the pool first
    if you raise the fish well you are out of space in 6-8 months
    zoo does not want more redtails

7. OP
    kyleh

kyleh

Haha I wouldnt give up my animals to a zoo thus why im also willing to help others with fish they cant keep.
    Thanks for all the advice its highly appreciated.
    Gardener is starting the pond dogging for me today and has laid out the spot already this morning.

8. OP
    kyleh

kyleh

My offer however still stands to anyone needing to rehome ANY fish large or small they can no longer keep im always happy to adopt a fish before buying more and should always have space if not 2nd bedroom is getting more tanks haha

9. Shabir

Shabir

@kyleh I am really keen to see your set ups. Maybe start a thread showing us your tanks.

Also with regards to the pond would be nice to see how you're going about doing it. @HugBug is doing a raised wooden pond so would love to see what you're doing.

Good luck with your project

10. OP
    kyleh

kyleh

Thats a great idea, mine (pond) will only be raised by about a bricks height just to prevent things from blowing in then 1.5m wide by 1.5m deep by +- 10m long

I'll start a thread to show progress and the fish room

A new day and Shabir like this.
  11. Shabir

Shabir

Oh my god. This sounds so amazing. Cannot wait to see the thread

A new day likes this.

Recent Posts