Looking to vacuum tank water but for water to be pumped back into tank.

Discussion in 'Community Tanks' started by Barrymore, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

I have a lot of trouble with brown mold settling at the bottom of my 600 litre tank. Before I am able to vacuum all to waste the water level has dropped 25%. I was thinking that if only I could buy something that vacuums the muck up into a filter, like a vacuum cleaner, and returns the water back into the tank this would be a great asset.
    Is there anything like this available?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jwh

Jwh Active Member

Yes there is a battery operated model made by eheim. I sounds like you don't have enough flow/ inefficient filter. The mulm should be stirred up and moved to your filter by the flow in the tank.

4. andries

andries Active Member

Take a 20 l or bigger bucket. Place a water pump in the bottom. Ransack an old duvet for it's inner or buy batting at a material shop. Stuff batting in bucket and siphon the water onto the batting. Switch on pump and pump water back into tank.

5. Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

My pump has been operating for many years. I have no idea what the flow rate is. Maybe it simply requires to be cleaned? I have multi layer filters so that cannot be the problem.

6. Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

[FONT=open-sans, sans-serif]I have just read the following. [/FONT]

• Brown algae (caused by inadequate light) forms huge brown layers in your aquarium.
    • My tank is in relative darkness until the light comes on at 2.30pm. Maybe I should try keeping it on all day?

7. Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

I have just fitted toweling to the top of a 20 l bucket and fitted the vacuum hose end above the toweling.
    I was going to experiment with this with the intention of pouring the water collected in the bucket back
    into the tank. You are suggesting I place a pump in the bucket so the water is automatically pumped back into the tank.
    There could be a problem if the pump delivers the water quicker than the incoming water. Adjusting the flow could possibly sort this out but may not be as easy as it sounds.

8. hviviers75

hviviers75 Well Known Member

I would not leave the light on the whole day you will then eventaully get all other types of algae because of to much light.

I suggest you rather do the following which will be best in the long run, I would do small daily water changes removing small sections of the brown algae daily and then also replacing the water with nice clean water. This will be less of a hassle then what you want to try and do bud. Trust me this will be so much easier. Only my 2 cents worth.

JHB_Aquarist likes this.
  9. Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

Yesterday I tried out the bucket system. It worked like a charm. I only vacuumed the one corner of the tank and got
    a liter of muck on the towel. The water in the bucket was pure and I returned it to the tank, putting out my back in the process. In future I will use a pump to return the water.
    Daily water changes requires carrying water in and out the house and tap water has to be treated to remove chlorine and chloramine. Then there is also the matter of matching the water temperature. I agree that having the light on for 12 hours (which it now is) could cause excessive green algae forming on the glass sides.
    I am going to replace the old pump with a more powerful one and hopefully this will provided better water movement
    and finally eradicate this brown curse.

10. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Barrymore,

Are you sure it's algae?
    It sounds like a huge amount is being produced.

When was the last time you cleaned out you filter?
    Perhaps it is some debris that is being pumped back into the tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. Jwh

Jwh Active Member

Even if you vacuum, your nitrates will continue to increase, so keep an eye on this

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  12. hviviers75

What water change percentage do you do weekly @Barrymore

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

Every two months I do a 25% water change and clean the filters, remove green algae etc. The entire process
    takes half a day. I have been doing this for 15 years and only in the last year has this problem developed.
    This weekend I will replace the pump with a new powerful pump and hope this does the trick.

14. hviviers75

Wow don't know of anyone who only does 25% every two months. I had a 600 liter tank a few years ago and did 160 liters every week. Had a 2700 liter pump which removed the water and then I used it to pump water back in the tank this took roughly maybe 20-30 minutes. You just have to have a good system. Previous night I filled black bins with water next day I heated it and then that evening all was ready for me. Currently I have a 4 foot I do 40liters twice weekly also put water in bins let it stand outside in bin and a few hours later water is at 25degrees. Sure fish has grown bigger and more messier reason for needing more frequent water changes.

Sent from mTalk

15. jc16

jc16 Active Member

Water change should be done more often

16. hviviers75

Filter should also be cleaned every 4-6 weeks in tank water. Where filter floss should be changed every 2nd week. Just my 2cents worth bud

Sent from mTalk

17. Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

I have a 75 litre container with a tap mounted and positioned above the fish tank. I have a pipe leading through the wall vent where I simply connect the hose pipe outside to it to fill the container and have a hose I connect between the container and feed it into the tank. My vacuum pipe also runs through the wall to outside the house.
    The main problem is that I need more than 75 litres replaced, double that and whatever system one has it must become a bind over a period of 15 years.

18. hviviers75

That's a nice setup you don't have to do it all in one go you can do 2 x 75liter water changes a week that's better then only doing it every two months

Sent from mTalk

19. Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

You HAD a 600 liter tank and did weekly water changes. What happened. Did it become a bind like it has for me?

20. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I do a full gravel vac on my 550L tank once a week, replacing about 15% of the water.
    Takes me 30 - 40 minutes.

Really don't mind as it's quite an easy process.
    And I have the satisfaction of knowing my tank is clean

21. hviviers75

No stopped the hobby a bit

Sent from mTalk

Recent Posts