Looking to vacuum tank water but for water to be pumped back into tank.

Discussion in 'Community Tanks' started by Barrymore, Aug 28, 2016.

1. jc16

jc16 Active Member

Where is this tank that water can't be syphoned to nearest drain or window.then half teaspoon safe and add water directly from tap with hose pipe?

Sent from my Halona using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

PH is 8.0

4. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

I drain the water at the wall air vent, 4 meters from the tank. That is not a problem. You speak about adding water directly from tap with hose pipe. That would also be possible BUT what about the chlorine and chloramine in the tap water? "half teaspoon safe"??? I add 1.5 ml Prime chlorine etc remover into my mounted 60 liter water tank as it fills up. If there is a better method then I would love to know.

5. hviviers75

hviviers75 Well Known Member

So are you willing to do 60l water changes daily until you know if your nitrates are high bud.

The Tranquility Effect

6. jc16

jc16 Active Member

Seachem safe is more concentrated than prime.add directly to tank and refill strait from tap safe works quick. Only really need aged water if u experiencing pH swings after 24 hours

7. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

YES. I can live with that if it is likely to work.

8. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

So are you saying that by first adding "safe" into the tank then filling from the tap no mixing is required?
    In any event, it would have to be done in summer when the tap water is near the temperature of my heated tank water.(if doing a large volume water change)

9. jc16

jc16 Active Member

Cold water does less damage than nitrates. Yes no mixing. You might find spawning behaviour after cold water change in some fish. And I'd rather set up separate tank for discus or get rid of them.that tank has too many fish that arnt good tank mates.whatever u decide so long as end result is a clean tank.that being said its not only nitrates. Water contains trace minerals used up by fish to remain healthy.if enough water is not replaced regularly it dies so to say and fish immune systems get weak.just a thought.

10. hviviers75

Lets first wait until you can test your water at petshop to make sure its your nitrates. For now do 60 liters each day until you can make sure about your nitrates. Hows the fishes breathing are they breading rapidly?

The Tranquility Effect

11. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

The Tinfoil Barb swims around opening and closing its mouth all the time. Is this rapid breathing?
    This fish is over five years old. The others seem OK, especially the small fish. When I place the vacuum tube into the tank the large fish tend to get restless, sometimes banging into the glass sides, even loosing scales.

12. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

The three "discus" I bought was shown as an item on my invoice. They screwed things up as I have been viewing
    images on the internet and they do not look a bit like any discus. I'm now sure they are Cichlids,

13. hviviers75

Bud the sooner you post pics of your tank and fish the better.

The Tranquility Effect

14. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

Page 4 has a pic of the sump and page five of the whole tank. As stated in your thread, I will upload if I can get some acceptable shots.

15. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

As requested, here are a few pics. Unfortunately they are not too sharp as the fish refuse to keep still.
    They also came out very dark and I had to do improvements on my PC.
    DSC00021.JPG DSC00005.JPG DSC00007.JPG DSC00008.JPG DSC00013.JPG DSC00020.JPG

16. hviviers75

Wow the tinfoil and bala shark is HUGE. I will definitly sell or give them with the silver dollars to someone with a big tank. And then get a nice variety of fish. You can add more smaller chiclids or rainbows theres so much to choose from they will also be less messier. Post a new full tank shot bud.

The Tranquility Effect

17. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

I will take a shot tonight.

18. Viashen

Viashen Active Member

Looks good to me

19. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

I took these pics at night but there is a problem. The pics viewed on the camera are bright but after copying them to my PC there appear very dark and I had to use photo shop to brighten them. Strangely, they are now bright but the thumbnails in the folder still appear dark. Anyway, this is the best I could do.DSC00003.JPG DSC00009.JPG DSC00011.JPG DSC00012 (2).JPG

20. OP
    Barrymore

Barrymore Active Member

These pics are not great as they appeared very dark once transferred to my PC yet they were bright viewed on my camera. Photo shop helped to brighten them up.
    Note. The Clown loach hides away when the light is on.

DSC00003.JPG DSC00009.JPG DSC00011.JPG DSC00012 (2).JPG

21. Viashen

Viashen Active Member

Still looks dam nice either way, my limited camera knowledge tells me to play with the exposure and shutter speed on the camera to sharpen it up and get the colour right ;-)

Recent Posts