Low tech,Medium tech,High tech but the "tech" is the same.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rudi, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Rudi

Rudi

@Zoom asked me to explain a statement I made in this thread http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/showthread.php?13013-Low-tech-or-Hi-tech and because I hate high jacking threads,I'll just start a new one.

First off I want to make sure I understand the terminology correctly.
    The term "tech" in Low tech,Medium tech and High tech is an abbreviation for "technology".The terms are used to distinguish between different planted tanks.I hope I've got this right other wise I'll have some serious egg on my face,so let's hope.

Low tech,Medium tech and High tech are defined by the type of substrate you use,the amount of light you use,the amount of liquid fertiliser you use and whether you inject Co2 or not.
    In not one of the above criteria can I see any sign of "technology" that separates one type of planted tank from another.

In my mind and the way I run these tanks,only technique seperates them.
    The tanks all have a substrate,inert or nutritious,it is still a substrate.No "technology" here.
    When you decide to have a inert substrate,your technique in fertilising your tank will be different from when you use a nutritious substrate.

The tanks all have light and all plants need light.Low light or high-ish light or full on mini suns,the only difference is the amount or intensity of the light.No "technology" here.When you decide on the amount of light you want to use it will impact on your technique in fertilising your tank.
    We can use low light with a inert substrate or a nutritious substrate,and this will also have an impact on the way you fertilise your plants.We can use high light with a inert substrate or a nutritious substrate,and this will impact on the fertilising technique.Light is the accelerator in a planted tank.Increase the light,the plants grow faster,but then they need more food.Decrease the light and the plants slow down and they need less food.

The plants all need liquid fertiliser.The amount is directly linked to the type of substrate we use and the amount or intensity of the light we use.With a inert substrate you will need more liquid fertiliser,with a nutritious substrate you will need less.( A nutritious substrate acts as a safety net and fills in the gaps left when you decrease the amount of ferts you dose.)With low light you need less fertiliser,with high light you need more fertiliser.No "technology" here.

The main difference between a "Low tech" tank and a "High tech" tank is whether Co2 is injected or not.Usually a non-Co2 tank is referred to as "Low tech" and a Co2 enriched tank is a "High tech"tank.But then you get a tank set up where a yeast based Co2 unit is used to generate the Co2 and this is also "Low tech" and when a Co2 cylinder with needle valve,solenoid and timer is used to inject the Co2,it is "High tech".Very confusing.
    This is how I see it:Co2 is Co2 whether you generate it with a yeast based generator or a 2 kg fire extinguisher(pressurised).The difference is only the technique how you get it into your tank and the cost.No "technology" here.

So you can have a "High tech" tank with nutritious substrate,low light,less liquid ferts and pressurised Co2 unit.
    Or you can have a "Low tech" tank with inert substrate,more ferts,high light and yeast based Co2.

It is all about the techniques we use and has nothing to do with technology.
    I hope there is no egg on my face.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Guest

3. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

@Rudi,

Thanks for that explanation, however I think you are splitting hairs here. If you do a very quick google on terms "low tech", "medium tech" and "high tech" you will quickly find that they are terms related to planted tanks. Whether the term "tech" means "technology" or not is irrelevant. However I did have a look in the oxford dictionary what the term means:

Definition of technology
    noun (plural technologies)
    1) the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes

4. Sean J

Sean J

I don't think there will be egg on your face Rudi.

My point of view between the High Tech, Medium Tech and Low Tech, is the amount of money you spent on it, and the amount of equipment used on the tank.

For instance:

Low Tech: CFL light, Pool Filter Sand, Excel and some ferts.
    Medium tech: Higher Output Lighting, Possibly Nutrient Rich Substrate, DIY Co2 and Fertilizer.
    High Tech: 1 Watt per Liter Lighting, Nutrient Rich Substrate, Full Pressurized Co2 System (Reg, Bottle, Check Valves, Bubble Counter, Diffusers, etc), Inline Heating, Good quality filtration, dosing Fertilizers for the needs of your tank (Generally EI or similar)

Does that make sense?

I think it may come from Technique, The Germans use the word Technique, for equipment.

5. OP
    Rudi

Rudi

@Sean J,
    When we start with the money issue I get a stomach ache.With a limited budget you can setup a stunning tank.The amount of money you spend does not and can not determine your skill/or not to grow plants.
    The equipment we use also can not determine our skill/or not to grow plants.Tom Barr uses DIY sumps and Co2 reactors and needle wheels with stunning results.You've seen this.

6. Sean J

Sean J

Ok, perhaps the money spend is the wrong way, but equipment used I would say is the right judge.

The more equipment you use on your tank, the higher the Tech. You can do a lot with DIY, and you can do it cheaply too. So that's probably the right way to look at it. The more bits of equipment you use, the higher the tech.

7. matteffect

matteffect

Maybe not just the "amount" of equipment used necessarily but more the quality and suitability of the equipment. For example - lighting - anyone can buy a junky old t8 20000k 10w light system and say he has more equipment yet it's not actually helping with anything in a planted tank.. See where i'm going?

I saw your previous post and that seemed correct, but I personally don't think the "more amounts" of things you use defines the rating of techs in your tank.

Thanks.

Recent Posts