May they rot in Hell!

Discussion in 'Fish pics' started by Go-Big, Apr 6, 2011.

1. fiberoptic

fiberoptic Active Member

AND WE STILL WONDER WHY THE WORLD IS IN SUCH A STATE. Must be related to Dr Mengele

2. Guest

3. OP
    Go-Big

Go-Big Active Member

I really dont have much words for you @Boerie.

1. We keep ornamental fish. You are not going to eat your pet dog are you, but you eat lambs meat.....(both mammals).
    2. Its not a pain thing with these fish, they are toxicating them to a slow death. We are not killing the sheep or cattle we eat with a slow painfull poison.

Agh.....i dont even know why we bother with you anyway!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. viskop

viskop Active Member

Well...If boerie wanted to get a rise out of you guys....he sure did and I suspect that he is long gone.

5. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

He may have got a rise out of us @viskop ... but at least we had our say, and we have set our boundaries as to what we will tolerate on this forum.

6. ryanj252

ryanj252 DIY Guy

Do any of our LPS actually stock these fish?

7. viskop

viskop Active Member

8. OP
    Go-Big

Go-Big Active Member

We have 3 shop in George and the one once had those glasfish with the neon stripes. I told them if they ever stock them again im boicoting. Luckly they took me serious enough not to do it again.

9. Jenn

Jenn Retired Moderator

Yes, they do. I saw heart-shaped parrots in assorted colours in a pet shop last weekend. I have seen tattooed parrot fish in another pet shop. These are pet shops around Joburg.

I did a google search (Pages from South Africa) for 'heart parrot fish' and 'blue berry oscar fish' and so far I've found 2 wholesalers in Durban that have them on their price lists, available to order.

Oh - & check out my new signature :D

10. Big G

Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

When i first saw this threads 'reported post' I thought delete the post and move on, but now having read all your response, I have to say leave it be, and good on you all!

This kind of thing cannot be tolerated, and people who make remarks like that of Boerie's, should also not be tolerated, but its good to see the TASA community pulling together.

Just on a side note, I would also like to see a list of LFS's that trade in these dyed/tatoo'd/inhumanely bred species to boycott, but unfortunately, TASA cannot be used for this, as it could leave us open to Legal issues.

Regards
    G!

11. Jenn

Jenn Retired Moderator

Are there any legal issues in posting a list of humane pet shops that don't trade in dyed/tatooed/mutilated fish?

12. TomK

TomK Active Member

Sponsorship?

13. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

deformation of character law suits

14. TomK

TomK Active Member

No, Jenn wants to publish a list of the good guys.

15. OP
    Go-Big

Go-Big Active Member

I think you misread this @Zoom

16. Jenn

Jenn Retired Moderator

Exactly!

I've phoned a few pet shops to make enquiries. I assume they don't know that fish are getting their tails amputated and if they did know they would not keep them. All the pet shops I've phoned say that if there is cruelty involved they won't order the fish, so that was encouraging. I realise they might just be saying that to get rid of me - but I will follow up. :D I've only had one bad response from one of the wholesalers. Pretty much told me there's nothing I can do about it. We'll see ...

17. Gert Combrink

Gert Combrink Active Member

@Jenn, pm me the name of this above-mentioned wholesaler please!

18. AquaS

AquaS Active Member

@Jenn, I also would like to know who this is. If we can ensure that they get less business lets go for it. Please send me their name as well.

19. Daan Wessels

Daan Wessels Old Newbie

This is definitely an ethical issue. I will not even comment on Boeries remarks but will state MY opinion.
    I am, amongst others, a hunter, and an angler. I like to think I am ethical in the pursuit of my sport, and passtimes, which includes my pet fish.
    God commanded us to MANAGE earth, not DISTORT it. Maybe like Tretchikof I am too much of a purist, however, I am convinced that just like punk jewelry etc. it is a mockery of nature to say the very least.
    I fully support the idea of boycotting.

20. flammaefata

flammaefata Member

When I was still completely new to the hobby (hadn't even set up my first tank yet) I was quite attracted to the "highlighter" colours of glass fish in a certain, otherwise impressive/well managed, LPS in Pretoria East. (I'm not sure if that LPS is aware of the inhumane treatment these fishes undergo, I for one have not given them my 2 cents worth yet.) But luckily I stumbled across the truth regarding these fishes before I was able to keep them.

The degree of mutilation that such fishes go through is horrible and I am totally against it. If anyone else knows of LFS's in Pretoria East that stock such fish or treat their fish inhumanely please pm me (also if you have LFS's to recommend).

Like @Ansu, as a biochemist/geneticist I do not have much of a complaint against genetically engineered fish such as GloFish - but that is a totally different approach to these mutilations. (As a side note, I once read an article that said that GloFish possibly use more energy to produce the fluorescent colours and that this is a possible reason that normal Danio females are less likely to mate with GloFish males...)

Regarding Undesirable #1's post saying that fish "can't feel pain", I'd like to say that all organisms that have even primitive "brains" that are in effect only a conglomeration of nerves can DEFINITELY feel pain as nerves evolved specifically to signal physical damage to the organism (among other functions).

Let the boycotting begin :)

21. Legendnaz

Legendnaz Predator

Disgracefull!!:mad:

Recent Posts