May they rot in Hell!

Discussion in 'Fish pics' started by Go-Big, Apr 6, 2011.

1. LOLY

LOLY Moe

Hi i saw this in hong kong. The shop owner didnt seem to care.as long as he sells them. It sadIMG_0469.jpgIMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jwh

Jwh Active Member

Found this zombie thread, it seems unfortunately still relevant today. I haven't seen tattooed glass fish, or the mollies with the hearts or flowers tattooed on them in a while, but still see the dyed parrots, and the heart parrots. (here I have to disclose that I own one of these mutilations myself, was given to me as a present, the gifter was horrified when I told her how these are created)

I do see lots of the genetically modified danios, pink, green, orange, yellow, which I don't like personally, but at least these are not mutilated, but bred.

What do you guys see out there?

4. woestynbaber

woestynbaber Active Member

I dont buy from a lfs that sells any inked fish. Buttt!! Sometimes they stock something i needo_O

5. fishanatic

fishanatic Anubias Nana

@Jwh last week I sure injected glass catfish for the first time. It was horrific.

I refuse to buy anything injected or died especially since it shortens the lifespan of the fish.

Sent from my LG-D620 using Tapatalk

6. prajayn

prajayn Active Member

I need to go research this DNA modifying of fish. Wierd that someone felt the need to start doing this.

7. fishanatic

fishanatic Anubias Nana

@prajayn what fish do you have in mind when you say that?

8. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie Arowana-Discus-Guppy-Oscars-RCS-CRS

I'm sitting this one out. Its going to get me banned. All I'm going to say is the deying of fish enrages me to the point of extreme ultra violence........

9. prajayn

prajayn Active Member

Nope. I actually just read this thread. And wierd that someone decided to tattoo Fish - sorry, on my phone, that message was a bit ambiguous

10. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@BoelderBeestie ... I agree...

I must say that as of late I havent seen as many as a while ago when we were seeing various types of fish
    Latetly I mostly see the parrots

About 4 years ago someone innocently offered me 2 "blue" oscars thinking it was a different strain
    When we googled it to make sure as I had never heard of blue oscars, we realized they were dyed blue

The little guys didnt look very well when i got them and they withered away and died 2 weeks later
    It relly is very cruel

11. Jwh

Jwh Active Member

@prajayn Was done to detect pollution in water, hormones, if memory serves. If the pollutant was present the fish either glowed, or stop glowing.

12. fishanatic

fishanatic Anubias Nana

@Jwh so everyone that successfully keeps these fish just have really filthy tanks lol

13. prajayn

prajayn Active Member

Thanks Jwh. Have the urge to go watch some YouTube videos after my training today.

14. Jwh

Jwh Active Member

If they stop glowing, yes probably;), no they were developed for industrial use

15. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie Arowana-Discus-Guppy-Oscars-RCS-CRS

@MariaS the so called blueberry oscars. I stopped an import on these once while visiting my family in bloem. The owner also didn't know and we explained whats really going on so he cancelled the order.

If I see them in a shop I write it off. Will never set foot in it again and considering what I spend on my fish in a year they are going to feel it.

Ortaega likes this.
  16. JHB_Aquarist

JHB_Aquarist Member

17. Waterboy

Waterboy Active Member

Nature has created thousands of species of tropical fish with a vast array of different colours, why does man feel like he needs to tattoo and unnaturally colour fish!

18. jc16

jc16 Active Member

Views on flower horns and parrots? As they man made too by cross breeding

Sent from my Halona using Tapatalk

19. fishanatic

fishanatic Anubias Nana

@jc16 Well the way I see it is that cross breeding could occur naturally as well so that I don't have a problem with. I just wish parrot males were fertile

20. Jwh

Jwh Active Member

I'm ambivalent about parrots and fh, and have probably mellowed my stance somewhat. I would look at this from the perspective of whether these fish are in any discomfort due to the deformities created, and if they are able to lead a "normal" life. There are numerous fish such a balloon mollies, short bodied fish e.g. redtail cats, and certainly fancy goldfish that could fall into this category.
    Let's not forget that humans have created numerous "deformations" from the natural strains in mammals such as Persian cats etc, etc that we find "pleasing" to the eye. Until recently we were still docking tails and cropping ears of dogs.

21. jc16

jc16 Active Member

@fishanatic parrots are deformed fish that can't even chew their food because their jaw can't move, so its cool? They can suffer day in and day out chewing food with their throat muscle... Wow great people are the best they not being cruel to a defenseless animal... But let a man or even a child be deformed its considered a disability and everyone wants to help but no1 willing to even try stop the inhumane behavior of people to animals they only see it looks cool I'll keep it as a pet and support this trade, I myself had parrots at one point but thats before i knew what i know now never again will I support this trade again... Flowerhorns I still got time for as they are not really deformed by the cross but they come with a lot of health problems one could say the cross has made them weak (health wise)... So is this kind of cross breeding really doing the hobby any good?

Recent Posts