May they rot in Hell!

Discussion in 'Fish pics' started by Go-Big, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

Agree with you @dorff about the creation of laws to curb this. Unfortunately the biggest problem lies in the enforcement of it. Stupid example but here it goes. You are not allowed to use fireworks in Pretoria, and most other towns, but you can legaly buy it anywhere. WTF!!!!!! If we, as serious aquarists, don't educate the uninformed no one will.

The guy with the 4 goldfish in a bowl in his kitchen isn't part of a forum like this. There is a group on Facebook called BAT - Ban Animal Trading South Africa that does awesome work against cicus/zoo/petshop that keeps animals in poor captive conditions. They actually rock up to a circus and protest there to raise awerness. This is what should be done to create awerness of these laws. Unfortunately BAT doesn't like fishes in tanks but maby if the are allowed to see how it can be done, responsibly and as natural as possible, they might change their view on this.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jwh

Jwh Active Member

I'm sure you would be able to get the dyed, injected, tattooed etc. fish prohibited under current legislation citing and providing proof of cruelty to animals, which should not be too difficult to provide. The SPCA may well be the agency to monitor/ implement this.
    GM will probably be a different game. SA allows GM crops to be grown, but I do not know what legislation enables this, and what the legislative hurdles are to import/ sell/ keep GM animals.
    I am not aware of a pet shop (at least those I have visited) that does not sell "coloured" fish in one form or another, from time to time.
    I would suggest prioritizing any campaign to eliminate "coloured" fish from the market and focus on the low hanging fruit such an dyed and tattooed fish first and work up from there.

Pierré Schoonraad likes this.
  4. Pierré Schoonraad

That can work. Start simple and small and work up from there. Lik the idee

5. Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx Nalanti

We use to have a small pershop around the corner we my dad lived. I really like the owner has he had a sign up by the fish claiming they do not sell fish that are tatooed, painted, injected or stained due to the inhumaness of such fish but sadly they didn't last more than two years before shutting down.

6. Pierré Schoonraad

Unfortunately the small shops will suffer as the biggest portion of their clients will buy these mutants by men.

I was sitting and planning a possible 'gurilla' tacktick agains these shops. Normally happens when I don't have enough to keep me busy

This might be a possible resolution to this problem. If you have any idee to add to this please do. If you can help with the legal implications to these actions please advice as I can't go to jail, my wife will not be able to take care of my fishes when I'm locked up.

Basic outline of action that can be taken:
    You wank into a lfs and spot tatoo or dyed fish.
    1. Go to the cashier and ask friendly to speak to the owner or manager. Without confronting him inform him of the prosesses that these fishes goes through to look "prity". Do not threaten him with not buying from him again or telling other people not to shop there. Just inform him about the facts.
    2. Go back to the shop after a month. If there is no change in his stocked fish, do same as above but ask him why he is still ordering these fishes. But don't get emotional about it. Be nice no matter how hard it is. Try once again to inform. Ask him if he will agree with you placing flyers in his shop informing clients of the situation regarding these fish. Normally at this point he might chase you out. But if he agrees to this you are starting to make a point with somebody that is willing to change. Get them printed and supply him. Hopefully there will not be any of these fish by then.
    3. If you get chased out leave quietely without provocation.
    4. Return a month later with 1 folder in back pocket and small
    ball of prestic in hand. Walk through shop and descreatly place flyer close to unwanted items. Place it where it will be noticed but not shout out. Leave the shop quitely and fast.
    5. Once again return 1 month later. See what is going on and plan what to do next....

This will be a tedios and long proses but will have a long term effect. It might even be good to have a group of people that rock up at say weekly intervals to speed up the proses. In this manner it will be more difficult for the shop to spot the trouble makers. I have a ponytail so I stand out in a crowd if you get my drift.

Think about it and lets start planning.

7. Jwh

Jwh Active Member

Contact the spca, have a chat to them, see if they agree that the process of dyeing/ tattooing fish is inhumane and constitutes cruelty to animals.
    If that is the case, contact the wholesalers and importers and make them aware of possible transgressions in this regard, and that they may be party to promoting cruelty against animals.
    Lay formal charges against offending parties if the practice does not stop.

8. Pierré Schoonraad

Nice idee. Always good to have the SPCA on your side

9. Pierré Schoonraad

[​IMG]
    My feelings

10. Pierré Schoonraad

11. Pezulu

Pezulu Fishaholic

Is there any legislation prohibiting the dyeing or tattooing of fish and other aquatic animals?
    I know animals regularly get tattooed (cows and sheep get their ears tattooed as well as having a plastic disc in the ear) and cattle get branded, but it isn't life threatening to the animals.

12. Pierré Schoonraad

Had the most interesting telephone conversation just now with Smaragda Louw from BAT. They are more than willing to help us with this. I'm going to set-up a meeting with here during next week to discuss the problems we mentioned here.

I will apreseate it if you guys and girls can help me with this as it is quite overwelming for me at the moment. I need any information from you regarding petshops that trade in tatooed and dyed fish. As well as the ones selling black listed fish. I know this might be a big ask but lets do this. I will keep your personal information private except if you have no problem with this. Please mail this to me at pierreschoonraad@gmail.com .

Thanks for starting this thread. Something will be done about this starting now. And without sounding to melodramatic. Fishes can't scream so we have to be their voices.

13. Pezulu

Pezulu Fishaholic

I happened to see an advert on Facebook of someone selling freshwater lobsters.
    I will try and see if I can attach a link.
    There are quite a few places that I have noticed dyed and tattooed fish recently.
    One that springs to mind is in Midrand, at the end of New Road, where the plots start. They have quite a lot of small glass catfish that are dyed blue, red, green or yellow.
    They also had some small tetra looking fish that you could clearly see were artificially coloured.

14. Pierré Schoonraad

Thanks Pezulu.

15. Drk

Drk New Member

FB_IMG_1483704313483[1].jpg

Jenn likes this.
  16. Pierré Schoonraad

Just a reminder to send me the details regarding the petshops. Please. I havn't received anything yet.:(

17. Hendre

Hendre Member

The process of colouring fish Is much more stressful and not to mention unnecessary compared to the methods used to mark cows. And results in many more deaths

18. Pierré Schoonraad

Meeting set for tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. Total e-mails received 0 total messages 0. Appreciate the importants of this to all the people her

19. Pezulu

Pezulu Fishaholic

If you look a few posts up I referred to a place in Midrand, as well as FB posts.
    I have e-mailed my earlier post to you.
    The link to your email address is not very clear, as it is part of a paragraph.

20. Pierré Schoonraad

Sorry Pezulu. Will check again

21. Pezulu

Pezulu Fishaholic

The LFS I was referring to is part of the Indigo Nursery.
    It is on the corners of New Road and Seventh Avenue, Midrand.

Recent Posts