Meet the members

Discussion in 'New members' started by Cheetah, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Cheetah

Cheetah Retired moderator

Hi ye all..... let's get to know the faces behind the userids.... Use the template/format below and introduce yourselves...... I'll kick off!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Name
    ...Cheetah

Location...Amandelbult – Limpopo Province

Number of Years in Hobby...42 Years

Fishkeeping Profile...Have bred more than 40 species intermittently…. Currently scaled down to only 40 tanks, but not breeding seriously….. will do so from November when I retire and move to a better market in Kimberley.

Favourite fish species...Congo Tets, Choc Gouramies and Orange Chromides

Favourite LFS...None in my area of residence

Aquatic Likes...A tank full of happy and smiling fish…

Aquatic Dislikes...Know-it-alls….. People talking like pro’s may catch the amateur to listen to their garbage, but it does not take much experience to deduct that they have no clue about fish.

Aquatic Achievements...I guess being Mod on SA’s best forum counts (lol)…. I know it is a common féte, but I was chuffed when I got my BN’s to breed…. (always thought they were impossible…. Like Plecos)

Non-fish related fact...My daughter is a vet in Kimberley, my son in Geotech on a diamond mine… been married for 38 years and I am retiring in October.

Other Hobbies...Used to restore old vintage cars (don’t have the energy anymore) and I started and operated the SPCA branch(voluntarily) in Lime Acres for 13 years.

Photo

[​IMG]

2. Guest

3. Hawk

Hawk Clown Fish :-)

Forum Name...MarcHawke

Location...Southern Suburbs - Cape Town

Number of Years in Hobby...8 months

Fishkeeping Profile...I have unsuccessfuly kept Ranchu goldfish and I'm currently keeping Gouramis, GBR's, Guppies (rapidly becoming millions), Harlequin Rasbora, Cory's, Cardinals. I have recently delved into the realm of the planted tank. Current tanks are 12l, 30l and 100l with a 245l coming soon.

Favourite fish species...Tetra, Gbr's, Gouramis and Killifish

Favourite LFS...Sams

Aquatic Likes...I enjoy seeing my fish breed

Aquatic Dislikes...Sick fish.
    Aquatic Achievements...Convincing my wife to let me have 100l tank and now 245l
    Non-fish related fact...I'm a Geotechnical Engineer and love to divide my time between my wife and daughter, DIY, the garden, my fish and the guitar.

Other Hobbies...Guitar

4. Laracroft

Laracroft

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. matteffect

matteffect

Forum Name - Matteffect

Location -
    Johannesburg, Lonehill

Number Of Years In Hobby -
    3 Years

FishKeeping Profile -
    I have 5 tanks. 210l, a 35l, a 60l, a 20l and my newest 80l. Currently breeding Angelfish ( My first batch of fry are now 2 weeks old). Keeping Angelfish, Corys, and Clown Loaches. Setting up my first real planted tank!

Favourite Fish Species -
    Angelfish ( for now )

Favourite LFS -
    Birds For Africa ( yes they have an amazing store for fish too )

Aquatic Likes -
    Doing water changes =D Watching my fish eat! Breeding fish!

Aquatic Dislikes -
    People with dirty hands touching my tanks. Seeing fish refuse to eat. Seeing fish sick or hurt. Seeing fish dead. Ohh and seeing aggression among fish.

Aquatic Achievements -
    Having five tanks ( for my parents one was enough ). So far successfully raising the Angelfish fry.

Non-fish related fact -
    I love animals and plants.

Other hobbies -
    Nothing.

Photo...

427380_4365576908123_1675046696_n.jpg

427380_4365576908123_1675046696_n.jpg

RalphK likes this.
  6. Hawk

Hawk Clown Fish :-)

I couldn't see Cheetah's pic as I'm blocked at work so wasn't sure what photo was required but I see @matteffect 's pic so now I know what to post. :cheesy:

7. Razer2007

Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

Forum Name...Razer2007

Real Name...Danelle Vivier

Location...Melkbosstrand - Western Cape

Number of Years in Hobby...about 10 years. Only serious about it for the last year though.

Fishkeeping Profile...In love with strange Hillstream fish, loaches and cory's.

Favourite fish species...Stiphodon sp, Peacock goby,Angelfish, Altums.

Favourite LFS...Fish ETC.

Aquatic Likes...Plants that actually grow, fish that eats.

Aquatic Dislikes...The price

Aquatic Achievements...Breeding my Angelfish, keeping rare species successfully.

Non-fish related fact...Deputy head boy in my High School (2012) and studying Mechatronic Engineering at Stellenbosh in 2013. I play nr.13 Center for our school's 1st rugby team.

Other Hobbies...Computer case modding, Photography.

_IGP2845.jpg

_IGP2845.jpg

8. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

She who calls for pictures (@Laracroft) shall post next.....

9. bradleyflynn

bradleyflynn

Forum Name - bradleyflynn

Name - Bradley Flynn

Location -
    Western Cape Worcster

Number Of Years In Hobby -
    Not including back in the day. 8 months

FishKeeping Profile -
    120L community tank, 30L out cast tank and a few others laying around. I would really love to start planted tanks.

Favourite Fish Species -
    Louches, cats and tetras.

Favourite LFS -
    Dont have one yet.

Aquatic Likes -
    Watching a tank come together and chilling with the fish.

Aquatic Dislikes -
    Never being satisfied with what I have.

Aquatic Achievements -
    Have not lost a fish since I started the new tank. I lost many fish back in the day.

Non-fish related fact -
    Self employed.

Other hobbies -
    Growing and cultivating orchids. Mostly SA epiphytes! Fishing, Hiking.

Photo...

boxes 036.jpg

10. Laracroft

Laracroft

@Zoom hahaha I'll post if you post

11. len.weideman

len.weideman Guppy Guy

Forum Name...len.weideman (can anybody guess my real name?)

Location...Bloemfontein VRYSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT!!

Number of Years in Hobby...15 counting the years before I took it up again a year ago

Fishkeeping Profile...HBreeding various strains of imported guppies. Got hooked on ancistrus recently. Have common ancistrus , L032 and L034 on order from Brazil. Currently have 2 x 270litre tanks, 1 x 100litre, 3 x 60litre, 6 x 30 litre and 6 x 15litre tanks and a custom made 250litre for my green terrors... Oh and a 60litre at my office

Favourite fish species...Guppies, Ancistrus, Green Terrors and Corries

Aquatic Likes...When I succeed in a genetic cross.

Aquatic Dislikes...People that always attack new hobbyists, and try to force them to think like they do. There are many ways to skin a cat. OH AND WATER CHANGES

Aquatic Achievements...To convince my partner to house 20 tanks in a townhouse!

Non-fish related fact... I love ice-cream, my dogs and my partner

Other Hobbies... Fishing and Reading, but the tanks keep me too busy

Photo

39589_455939604032_5882730_n.jpg

39589_455939604032_5882730_n.jpg

12. karele

karele

Forum Name...Karele

Location...Germiston, Gauteng

Number of Years in Hobby...noob

Fishkeeping Profile...Guppy’s

Favourite fish species...Not decided yet

Favourite LFS...Currently using Wild On Pets

Aquatic Likes...A tank full of happy fish and Plants…

Aquatic Dislikes...Water Changes J and yellow water from myDriftwood.

Aquatic Achievements...Keeping all but 1 of my starter fishalive.

Non-fish related fact...It Technician.

Other Hobbies...General DIY, building and flying modelaircraft, Fishing.

753-old-professor.jpg

753-old-professor.jpg

13. Bazil

Bazil Bazil

Forum Name...SloMo.00.

Location...Sasolburg - Free State

Number of Years in Hobby...14Years

Fishkeeping Profile...Kept tankbusters for a while. Moved over to planted tanks. Have had many successfull tanks thus far (not in Planted though). Love the hobby.

Favourite fish species...Arowana, Tiger Barbs, Angels, Eels

Favourite LFS...Die Visdam

Aquatic Likes...Seeing a tank come to life, and knowing it's your hard work paying off.

Aquatic Dislikes...lfs assistants selling nonsense pretending to know the fish they keep, when in fact they have no bloody clue. Oh and Algae...

Aquatic Achievements...None really. I have no Idea what I'm doing....

Non-fish related fact...I'm a people's person. Like to see positives in life and try not to read to much in what people say. My almost 2 year old daughter teaches me how to be more patient every day.. One thing I know in life: Respect is earned. Not forced...

Other Hobbies...I love Motor racing, Fishing and the occasional golf game.

Photo

[​IMG]

14. HennieRoux

HennieRoux

Forum Name...Hennie Roux

Location...Roodepoort JHB

Number of Years in Hobby...13 Years

Fishkeeping Profile...Started off by just keeping some random Guppies, then moved to Amazonian species like Discus, Angels and tetras. Then got into breeding, and hant stoped breeding for over 8 years now.

Favourite fish species...Angels, Discus, Corrys.....but my true love is with Bettas

Favourite LFS...Jungle Aquatics (Sponsor)

Aquatic Likes...Being able to multiply e fishes, to hundreds of them!

Aquatic Dislikes...People who thinks they no better and more then others, instead of just politely helping them right. Also water changes in 100 betta containers....

Aquatic Achievements...Well ive been successfull in my breeding over the years, currently my Betta Half Moon breeding is going great, and hopefully will get better in time, if the dam Asians will just give you what you order and stop trying to have the monopoly in the market.

Non-fish related fact...I moved to JHB from Durban 4 years ago for a promotion, left my family and friends behind, also stayed in Richards Bay for 6 years. Im currently single and stay allone, this means more space for tanks...haha. I have a thing for speed, and currently have about 20 fines on my name...oops!Other Hobbies...I make my own beer from time to time, and if drinking beer is a hobbie...then im pretty good @ it...my tanks keeps me bussy so not to much time inbetween drinking beer and playing daddy with all my Bettas.

Photo

ME2.jpg

15. leslie

leslie

Location...Gordons' Bay, Cape Town

Number of Years in Hobby...8 Months

Fishkeeping Profile...Have one communal tank with a few Guppies(38l Jebo tank), One Bala Shark, One Black Saifin Molly, Four Neons and a Pleco. Second 57l tank with Seven Assorted Malawi and two upside down cats(so i have been told...) Have recently acquired a 750l with stand and cabinet for a steal, gonna move the malawi tank into this puppy!

Favourite fish species...Malawi; Guorami

Favourite LFS...Panorama Pet Shop

Aquatic Likes...Happy Fish!!

Aquatic Dislikes...People trying to force their do's and dont's on me.

Aquatic Achievements...Keeping my cats out of the tanks!

Non-fish related fact... Love Flying my Drone

Other Hobbies... Fishing and reading

16. Shakes

Shakes

Forum Name...Shakes

Location...Wilderness, Western Cape.

Number of Years in Hobby...11Years

Fishkeeping Profile...Kept alot of popular, more hardy hobby fish. Got hooked on cichlids. Currently have a malawi tank, community tank of asian species such as gourami's, barbs and loaches, and thanks to all the info and knowledge on this site I have 2x successful bare bottomed discus tanks.

Favourite fish species...Wild strains of discus, malawi's, and lots more.

Favourite LFS...Scotty's Pets. It's a non sponsor on this forum, so mods can edit this section if they want.

Aquatic Likes...I know everything is right when my fish are breeding.

Aquatic Dislikes...

Aquatic Achievements...Bred ansicistrus, zebra danios, kribesis and a number of malawi species.

Non-fish related fact...I enjoy the outdoors and anything I can do with my kids and wife. Enjoy having people around. Very social person.

Other Hobbies...Collect reptiles, 4x4ing, hiking, fishing.

Photo
    383181_10150521580653047_693243046_11405095_1168385189_n.jpg

383181_10150521580653047_693243046_11405095_1168385189_n.jpg

17. Boost-Boy

Boost-Boy

Curtis Viljoen

Forum Name...Boost-Boy Location...Ysterplaat ,Cape Town Number of Years in Hobby...2 Years Fishkeeping Profile...always been a fish keeper but recently got my 1.2m long tank and would really try get into the breeding of fish Favourite fish species...Balla Shark,Pleco's,Goldfish Favourite LFS...The Real Mckoi,Panaroma petshop Aquatic Likes...A peacefull tank no fighting in the waters Aquatic Achievements...Nothing major yet but ill get there ohh and I bred guppies :) Other Hobbies:.. Car racing is a must sorry if some of it is illegal

18. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Forum Name: SalmonAfrica - but you can call me Tim.

Location: Mostly Grahamstown, Eastern Cape. But I'm originally a Durban boy.

Number of Years in Hobby: Started taking care of the parents' fish in 2004, got my first fish in 2005. Sold all my tanks by early 2011 when I moved out for varsity.

Fishkeeping Profile: Currently a temporarily retired fishkeeper, although I kept a fair share of fish in the few years I managed to maintain some tanks.

Favourite fish species: I've promised to never pick a fish as a favourite ever again, as my tastes change as often as the petrol prices. I've had many favourites in the past and look forward to new favourites in the future.

Favourite LFS: My hometown favourite, Northlands Pets.

Aquatic Likes: Finally accepting everything in the tank is right, and being able to sit in front of it quite happily. Also, any tank/fish pretty enough for a photograph.

Aquatic Dislikes: Abused fish, know-it-all-been-there-done-that-aquarists, people who both abuse and don't listen to LFS staff genuinely trying to help.

Aquatic Achievements: I got started in the hobby - my biggest achievement :D

Non-fish related fact: I'm not saying I'm Batman... it's just that we've never been seen in the same room together.

Other Hobbies: Photography, reading, diving, swimming, eating, sleeping, coffee... these are a few of favourite things.

Photo: Yikes... let's not scare the members now :p

19. Jaybirdlark

Jaybirdlark

Forum Name...Jaybirdlark

Location...East London,Eastern Cape

Number of Years in Hobby...about 25years now

Fishkeeping Profile... Have kept most community tank species, then moved to keeping gouramis (moon, 3 spot, kissing, sunset etc.) then keeping and breeding gouramis and bettas. Then got interested in biotopes, amazon in particular. Started breeding angels and discus. Then downsized from 6 750l to 1 50l and moved from CT back to EL. Have had a Congo basin biotope going for 5 years.

Favourite fish species... African butterfly, synodontis spp, Congo tets

Aquatic Likes... Creating a system that just works, happy fish, happy plants, no algae

Aquatic Dislikes... Not being able to keep more tanks

Aquatic Achievements... Successfully spawning Synodontis Agamyxis. Lost all fry though :(

Non-fish related fact... I like to tinker

Other Hobbies... MTB, reading and working on the house.

Photo

20. WillemNicolaas

WillemNicolaas

Forum Name...WillemNicolaas

Location...George WesternCape

Number of Years in Hobby...2 real years and then loved the hobbie since i was 13(do the math LOL)

Fishkeeping Profile...I started with a 30L then 60L then 110L then jumped to the 600L and back down to a 270L. MTS hit me hard as i had tanks all over the room.

Favourite fish species...GBR and red line torpedo barbs

Favourite LFS...Scotty's PetShop

Aquatic Likes...Fully planted tank with my fish dancing behind the display glass

Aquatic Dislikes...Overstocking a tank with huge fish in a small tank!!! And the occasional White Spot!!!

Aquatic Achievements...Hmmm building a 3D background for the 600L tank. Adding my fish from the 110L to the 600L and not loosing one fish!

Non-fish related fact...Head boy of my school and prefect the year before. Played 1st team rugby for 3 years in a row and have my SA colors in Tug of War. I have no gal bladder and Spleen due to CDA type II. I am a software developer/ web developer but if you see me you wont think it. Ek is 110% boer seun. LOL

Other Hobbies...Love adrenaline sports, the outdoors, fishing, hunting, motorbikes and anything speed related. Busy building my A3 turbo up to eat most of the cars out there :)

Photo
    slaan.jpg

slaan.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  21. Halfpint

Halfpint

Forum Name... Halpint (Jozan van Deventer)

Location... Potchefstroom

Number of Years in Hobby... Couple of Months

Fishkeeping Profile... 15L & 80L tanks and getting a 200L one soon
    Favourite fish species... Haven't committed yet, but loving my goldfish!

Favourite LFS... Fantasy Fish Pet shop (Friendly and helpful!)

Aquatic Likes... Watching the silly things my fish do.

Aquatic Dislikes... When people sell you goldfish in a tiny bow,l and neglect to tell you that they grow to 20cm+ and you actually need a huge tank to keep them in comfortably.

Aquatic Achievements... Getting a tank in my office instead of a plant.

Non-fish related fact... I am a ferocious reader and I love random facts, making me a great source of useless information.

Other Hobbies... Reading, running, traveling and gaming.

ekke.jpg

ekke.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

Recent Posts