My fish tank family

Discussion in 'Fish pics' started by Stalker, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Stalker

Stalker Active Member

My Oscars and Giant gourami. The tiger Oscars is about 23cm(9 inch), the Albino red about 12cm(4.7 inch). My Giant gourami is about 60cm(24 inch). The newest member I got yesterday is a Albino tiger Oscar and she is staying in a separate tank because the giant will eat it with no hassle.
    My albino red
    [​IMG]
    My family
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The new oscar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saturn

Saturn Active Member

Wow awesome, do you expect the gourami to get bigger? Must be one massive tank, take it your weekends is being spend doing water changes...

4. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Absolutely stunning, would still like to know how you manage to introduce Oscars to yours....I have miserably failed every attempt..

The Gourami is beautiful but... she makes the Oscars look small!!!

5. Stalker

Stalker Active Member

I do 500 L (110gal UK) water changes every week. A big tank is nice, but it cost a fortune to run. The gourami is not even 2 years old, she got a long way to go before she is going to be adult. She just eat a hole in my budget.
    @MariaS. I normally can see how oscars is going to react to new tank mate's. I've studied oscar behavior over 3 to 4 years. The best way is to keep your tank about 22deg. That will calm them down a lot and you can introduce the new smaller oscar. After a week you can increase the temperature with half a degree every other week

. Some oscars is just aggressive and will protect his territory at all means. I've got an oscar like that, and he is going to come second against the Giant gourami. My giant gourami protect the small albino red at all means. None of my tiger oscars even think about bullying the albino red, because they no the gourami will bully them

I must introduce the new albino tiger in my big tank when she is big enough and won't be eaten alive by the gourami.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Stalker, Thanks for the advice re the temperature, I had not read anywhere about the temperature but thinking how it affects lethargie... makes a lot of sense..will try that when I pick up the courage to go through the ordeal again!!!
    The 2 new ones came as a pair and all is fine

My tiger in the other tank... gee.. I have tried 3 times now to introduce a partner... first he almost killed the new one, then took them out, rearranged tank put them back and the new onne wanted to kill him.. that didnt work
    Second time even put them together for a while in the big polystyrene box, moved the tank around.. put them in... the new one wanted to kill mine... ok... that was another rescue i tried... he came out a tank with 4 extra large hi-fins that were terrorizing him...

Third try.. pretty much same... I thought that if I ever try again, maybe i should go for a small one and see..

The Gourami is gorgeous, if you say she is a baby, then how big will she eventually get?
    What do you feed her?

Its amazing how nature works and how you say she has adopted the little Oscar... you see that happening in mamals but in fish you dont think it can happen too...

7. Stalker

Stalker Active Member

@MariaS. Just remember that any oscar will fight to protect its territory, he will end up killing a new oscar. If you got two male oscars in a medium to small tank they fill fight for their territory. If you add a male oscar to a female, she will fight with him to see if he is strong enough to be her husband. If you add a female to a males tank, the male will fight for his territory and nobody is allowed in his tank.

8. Stalker

Stalker Active Member

9. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Thanks @Stalker... great news hey... Just when you got my hopes up again and try the temperature drop, you tell me its like playing the Loto!!

Jokes aside... Dont think I will try introducing another big Oscar to my tiger....
    I was thinking at giving it a last try with a small oscar by removing tiger to my quarintine tank for couple days and putting the small one in main tank and then follow your advice about the temperature and bring tiger back few days later....
    But we will see, if I fiind a nice small one...

10. tanked72

tanked72 Active Member

cool man

11. Vis

Vis Gerhard

Well at least when the power goes out permanently and our fish all die you can still eat yours, so it is an investment :)

12. Stalker

Stalker Active Member

@MariaS. Remember that temperature drop play a big role when introducing new oscars in your tank. When the temperature is 26deg when introducing adults, and even small ones, it can get bad with all the fighting.

I never had any problems with new oscars as I always use temperature drop over a time period of 4 to 5 weeks.

13. Stalker

Stalker Active Member

@Vis At least the Giant gourami won't die as it breath like humans, but temperature is going to be a problem

14. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Thanks @Stalker, I dont give up easy so I am going to follow your advice..
    And yes... if I think about it, I usually keep my tank at around 28....

15. Stalker

Stalker Active Member

28 is excellent temperature to create havoc in an oscar tank. My tank go up to 27 to 28 because of the warm days we get, but through the night my tank drop to 23 deg. My one oscar male is terrorizeing the other male big time because of the temperature. At least he doesn't try to bully the albino because he haven't got the guts to get past the gourami. The gourami only get a bad attitude when someone try to bully the albino.

16. drsparky

drsparky Active Member

You should enter FOTM with that beautiful Gourami!

17. tanked72

tanked72 Active Member

how big does the Giant gourami get @Stalker ?

18. Stalker

Stalker Active Member

In nature they can grow to between 60 and 70cm, in captivity they normally grow between 40 to 60cm. I am just lucky that she got to that size.

19. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

All still looking great and big !!!

20. Stalker

Stalker Active Member

Gekkie, the Giant gourami became extremely huge. She is a real lunatic when she wants attention and if anybody from my family is close by the tank she will go mad, dance, wave her tale and more. The two male oscars doesn't even worry about people except with feeding time. The albino or lemon oscar always follow the Giant gourami and whatever the GG do, Albie the lemon oscar will do exactly the same to pull your attention . She is not an albino red as I previously mentioned

21. Stalker

Stalker Active Member

As Albie the lemon oscar know that Gekkie, the Giant gourami always protects her. If she swim around not close to Gekkie and the aggressive male chase any other oscar around, Albie will swin straight back to Gekkie for protection. Albie swim 95% of the time next to Gekkie. You will think it is a breeding pair. The aggressive oscar is a male, ready for breeding and Albie is a possible female, she is still to young to breed or show any symptoms to create a breeding pair.

Recent Posts