My Mid-life crisis - My New Fish Room!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by David Kusner, Feb 27, 2019.

1. David Kusner

David Kusner

So my wife says I am having a mid-crisis, I don't agree with her, I just have more time on my hands and have wanted to do this for a long time and since I am going to end up with an extra 1.5 meter tank I have decided to setup a small fish room.

I am a very hands DIY kind of person so I am very excited about it. I started the planning a few weeks ago and the real work started this past weekend. Still tons to do, till it it is finished, but I will share my progress with you as I go along.

When my big tank sprung a leak mid Jan this year, my wife actually commented and made a statement that I found to be very profound, she basically said that now understands my fascination with fish keeping, (she has had to put up with it for the last 25 years) after all these years, she realizes that the fish are my "pets" and from the way I look after them and treat them she fully understands the obsession. In all fairness she loves cats and we have also lived with them for the last 25 years and she has accumulated a small pride of them over the last couple of years. She commented that she could see that I love my fish as much as any other pet lover loves their cats or dogs and so, gave me permission to setup a new tank!

That's when I got the idea and took the gap. She was not very happy about the fish room idea, but I think it will grow on her.

Progress so far, built the new stand for where the 1,5 meter will go,
    20190225_183305.jpg 20190225_183323.jpg 20190225_183336.jpg 20190226_221129.jpg 20190227_002955.jpg 20190227_002958.jpg 20190227_005734.jpg

Chandz and ancistrus like this.
  2. Guest

3. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

P.S I told my wife at least my mid life crisis did not involve any expensive exotic cars or woman. Its only going to involve some exotic:cool: fish. :thumbup::thumbup:

4. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Now you said it all....

You have done your share for everyone else half your life.. now that you have more time on your hands, you can do something for yourself
    Fish room idea is awesome

5. top dog

top dog

looking great, i also enjoy the diy aspect of fish keeping and love new projects
    having permission and understanding with the boss makes it far less stressful
    one thing i have learnt is that it is easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.
    thou if i die suddenly you guys are going to get crazy deals on all my tanks and equipment cause it definetley did not cost what she thinks it did

6. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

You guys are too funny... but you right... it is probably easier to get forgiveness than permission..
    As for what it costs... yes... I have to giggle sometimes, sitting on the outside and listening to the prices the wives get told.

7. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Good luck with the project.
    I will be following your progress :thumbup:

8. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::thumbup: +1

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

Noooo you are in midlife and she is the one in the crisis hahahaha.

No Cory no glory

Slade likes this.
  10. Slade

Slade

I was laughing from the title to the end of this thread :D:D:D

I'm putting this excuse in my back pocket for later "would you rather me be at home with fish or be on the streets with women and cars", I'll get my butt kicked from here to the moon but then she'll feel guilty for hurting me at let me get more :tt2:

@MariaS gave me the best advice ever, I was dubious at first but my mind is blown at how well it worked "find that one fish she likes"... from 1 x 1.5ft tank to a couple months later 1x 4ft, 1x 1.5ft, 10x 1ft (5 started and 5 nearly ready to start) and constant talks of where we can squeeze in a tank. I don't even have to smudge the prices, I just need to say "it comes with a free betta of your choice" and its DONE :lol:

MariaS likes this.
  11. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

All good and well ... trick with any fishroom, you need to ensure that she can still maintain it to some degree when you go on holiday for a few weeks.

Later Ferdie

top dog likes this.
  12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Glad it worked @Slade,

But if you think about it... it makes sense
    Often the resentment comes from, the amount of time/attention you spend doing fish things instead of with your partner so she feels left out
    If you can find something.. and with animals/birds.. fish.. there are so many species that there has to be something that takes different people's liking... by doing/achieving this you make it a joint hobby and you both spend time together and she doesn't feel left out...

As @f-fish also mentioned, it is important to make sure that be it your fish room or tanks, are setup in a way that she can cope on her own if for whatever reason you away from home for a while

Innocent159 and Slade like this.
  13. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Also, particularly in winter.
    The warmer the room itself, the less you will have to heat individual tanks

Slade likes this.
  14. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

Very Good Point, I had not considered it, fortunately the room I am using is actually setup as a Bar area and its "under" the house. I know this sounds odd, basically when we purchased the house their was a room built below the lounge. The old houses in my area usually had cellars, part of which could sometimes be utilized for extra space, as is the case in my house. So its relatively a cool regulated space in terms of temp. Ideal for a fish room, Except for the fact that I wont be able to utilize gravirty to assist with water changes, but I already came up with a plan for this.

15. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

I have an flatlet where i keep my fish My theory is add as many tanks as possible keep the ambient temp up the tanks with out heating runs at 25deg and im at 46 tanks

David Kusner likes this.
  16. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

OK I dont have that kind of space available, but I am looking at building my own small racking system, basically to fit 2x tanks ontop of each other, using some good old SA Pine 2x4. I need to work very smartly with the space available so as to maximize the space I have available.

17. Adrian Gatter

Adrian Gatter

Whenever SWAMBO gets upset about me spending money on my hobbies I rationalize: it's cheaper than strippers & cocaine (which I doubt is true)
    She seems satisfied with that explanation.

18. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

Love it, so true!!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

19. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

So some updates from my fish room. Progress has been slow, I did not realize how much work their is to do since I am building the entire thing my self.

Any how in keeping with the theme of recycling and been kind to nature and leaving a smallest carbin foot print as possible, this entire project is been built with recylced materials. Well at least 90% of it and then that they I also get to spend money on some real nice live stock.

So the stand and roof for the lights you saw in the earlier pictures was built out of a old desktop. All the supports were built out of roof trussing that I had lying around.

Since no one of the companies that I called to have my old tank stripped and resealed bothered to come back to me, I decided to DIY it. Worked out perfectly no leaks.

I also managed to bring my old Mangun 350 filter back to life, can you beleive a gasket seal from a toilet collar coupler fitted perfectly and only cost R20. So once that got going I decided to DIY a new intake and Spray bar out put. Its actually amazing what you can build out of a couple of irrigation parts and some garden hose couplers. I even fashioned my own quick release connectors with garden hose couplers.

So the big tank is setup and the water will cycle now for a few days. In the meantime I will check for leaks or any other issues and get finished with the small rack for the QT, Nursery and Grow out tanks.

It also gives me some time to decide what to do with big tank, I have not decided yet what I am going to put in it yet, but I am leaning towards a Malawian Chiclid tank perhaps..... Although I would love to have some puffer fish...anyway time will tell...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

T. Guppy and MariaS like this.
  20. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@David Kusner
    Looking good. :thumbup:
    To do these projects properly, it usually takes longer than expected.

21. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@David Kusner,

Looking good.

Agree with you... DIY really pays off even if it takes a little longer you save a lot of money
    Apart from the actual tank builds we also DIY everything... actually let me be honest @Cesar DIY's everything for us.
    Te other nice thing about it is that you do things to suit your needs and setups

Recent Posts