My Mid-life crisis - My New Fish Room!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by David Kusner, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Saibot

Saibot

So jealous!

2. Guest

3. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

So its been a while since an update, so an update is due. What a lot of work. This project has been keeping me busy almost every weekend and almost every night for the last 4 weeks.

Time has been a big issue since I get back from work so late. But its been really worth it.

For now its mostly done and their are now 7 tanks setup and running. Most of if not all of the old equipment that i had accumulated over the last couple of years has been brought bacl to life and utilised in some way or another. How ever I underestimate the amount of equipment needed and still had to spend some cash on other bits and pieces.

Fortunately I can DIY most things, so this helps a lot and does save a ton of money. For example I found the ideal lighting solution for smaller tanks that cost less than R100 and gives you 12w of excellent LED lighting. I will detail this in a seperate post.

So at the moment as I said 7 tanks of varoius different size are setup. Each is a little different in terms of filtration at the moment however this is part of the whole experience since I get to experiment with different types of filtration to see what works best for me. Eventually in time their wil be some sort of standards set.

Heating is your standard garden variety heater in each tank with various sizes outputs some 50W some 300W and in between. One of the things I can finnaly do now is experiment with proper electronic controlled thermostats to get more stable temperature levels in all tanks thoughout the year. I have succesfully tested one on my big 1.5m tank which is around 300 liters, with a 200w heater and it works beautifully. Temp is so far stable at 27c all the time. Never lower than 27 and never higher than 27. Also its pretty easy set any other temps required without getting your hands wet. It also has a nice LED 7 segment display that you can instantly see the temp.

So things are a bit messy at present so I am now in the process of tyding up wiring and airline piping etc... its taking a little longer than I would like since something else always comes up and dustrupts my flow, but all in all it will get done.

Already though I have a fantastic place to go to now, everytime I go down to my fish room and I enjoy having all the tanks around me. I look forward to every morning getting up and going down to feed the fish. Same in the evening's when I get home.

Current pics aren't great, but I plan to take more this weekend and will post them online.

When I get more down time I plan to report separately on some of my DIY projects, that I did so far to date in the new fish, if anyone is interested.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

4. Adrian Gatter

Adrian Gatter

Nice! I feel much the same as you, trying to feed my obsession between interruptions.
    Please share the lighting you speak of.

5. Saibot

Saibot

Super interested to see more. Looks awesome. Even more jealous now!

6. top dog

top dog

Man that happened quick
    Looking good

7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Wow @David Kusner .. you sure have been busy!!

Looks awesome...

I dont have a fish room as such but my tanks are my little piece of heaven

8. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

9. Cesar

Cesar

Loads of work there @David Kusner but looking fantastic!!

In all fairness to the Lady of the house.... I cant fit more tanks in the house... so will have to start working on the fish room idea..

David Kusner likes this.
  10. BradK

BradK

All i ask for is 1 wall in the house and I cant even get that from the wifey :). But I'm looking at prices of 5 foot and 6 foot tanks just because I believe...rofl.
    You so lucky to have a room :thumbup:.

Saibot likes this.
  11. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

After a short absence I am back, was hectic with work for Financial year end, then had a short illness and hospital stay, but all good now and back to been fishy. A quick update on the fish room. So After a few small set backs and loosing a couple of fish, I discovered 2 things. Number 1, NO MORE IMPULSE purchasing!!! and number 2 small tanks seem to be so much more harder to maintain and keep stable, I am used to 5 foot and larger, so getting used to the smaller tanks with their finicky little filters etc has been a bit of a challenge, but I am slowly getting the hang of it. (BTW was is the most reliable cost effective filtration for smaller tanks, these days? I am used to sticking in big canisters and forgetting about them. Keep in mind I am on 6 small tanks already and growing)

The first new born's in the fish room was achieved about 4 weeks ago and yes you guessed correctly, "guppies" yippie!! and after a water change on Monday night more!!. So the small community will hopefully be a colony soon. I am having quit a bit of fun with the color variations. Its nice to see what colours come out when you mix different males and females together. Once I have some decent one's I will post some pics.

MariaS and Nico Hamman like this.
  12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Sorry to hear about your hospital "holiday" glad you feeling better and back to the fishy world!
    Congratulations on the first babies!!

You are so right about big tanks and maintenance/stability
    People often say.. Oh my God.. the maintenance!

However, after the initial layout its actually much easier to maintain and keep stable than a small tank

13. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@David Kusner
    Hope you are ok after your hospital stay.

Good to hear things in the fish room are progressing.
    Yup, I agree. Bigger tanks are easier to maintain than smaller ones.

Photos please o_O

14. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Congrats on the guppy fry. I think the easiest way to maintain small tanks is with a sump - basically turning them into one massive tank.

15. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

Exactly what I was thinking. I going to start to experiment with a DIY sump build this weekend. Also want to figure out how to get a couple of small tanks to all run off one SUMP.

16. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

I have a six tank breeding setup running off one sump. I will post pics tonight (hopefully I remember). Each breeding tank is only about 30L

17. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

Thanks!!

18. top dog

top dog

best bet would be a single shared sump
    glass drilling not that hard till it goes wrong.
    small tanks to replace mistakes not that hard either.
    would definitely try it if i was you. think a 20mm glass drill from builders is 400 bucks, just tank tank outside fill with 30mm of water and drill away at the base.
    making manifold to return water is going to be harder to get even flow thou

19. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

[​IMG]

20. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

As promised a pic of my breeding tanks

21. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Can anyone see it? When I previewed I could see it but now it shows nothing?

Recent Posts