My "new" 3ft/92cm tank

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by Toxxyc, May 20, 2021.

1. HugBug

HugBug

Sounds good.

Toxxyc and Whoknows like this.
  2. Guest

3. A new day

A new day Moderator

I don’t leave the water overnight. I pour Seachem Prime into the bucket, then fill it up in the bath mixing the water so more or less the same temp or slightly cooler (depending on the tank). If unsure you could use a thermometer in the bucket. For most fish a couple of degrees cooler is fine, for the rams I try to be a bit more precise.

PeterTKZN, Toxxyc and Whoknows like this.
  4. OP
    Toxxyc

Toxxyc

I did a water change as recommended (albeit a bit later), and re-did the water tests a day later. I'm pleased to announce that my water is improving slightly. I'm now at:

pH: 7.5
    Ammonia: 0 (literally can't see a colour change in the test vial)
    Nitrite: 0.05 (really really low, I had to pick between the lowest reading and 0)
    Nitrate: 0.15. Still there, but coming down. I'll have to do more water changes in the future, I'm sure, but for now it's coming down and I'm happy.

Water is still at 26°C, I added some clarifier and the water (because of the tap water, I assume) got REALLY milky for about 12 hours, then clarified to crystal again. I also added some more decor to the tank, along with some plants and I can't wait to see the plants grow. Apparently Vallis grows like weeds, and I like that.

HugBug, Whoknows and Radesh like this.
  5. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Nitrate of 0.15 is fine. Nitrates will always be present. If I recall correctly it should be lower than 20 ppm. The ammonia and nitrites should always be zero,it means that the bacteria in your tank are doing their jobs

HugBug, Toxxyc, Shabir and 1 other person like this.
  6. OP
    Toxxyc

Toxxyc

Well then I guess it means I'm well on my way then!

7. Whoknows

Whoknows Comp Coordinator

Time for a bigger tank:lol:

8. OP
    Toxxyc

Toxxyc

Oof. My wife will kill me, although I have already started thinking of "how hard can it be to build your own with thick glass". Was thinking of a trapezoid shape, not specifically wider, but definitely deeper...

Whoknows likes this.
  9. Whoknows

See new tank is there

Toxxyc likes this.
  10. OP
    Toxxyc

Toxxyc

OK so the Angels spawned again. We're knee-deep in the middle of COVID here at home and I was NOT prepared. I wanted to perch up the slate for them so they can spawn on there, but that didn't happen in time and she chose the water pump's cable as her preferred spot. This totally screwed me over as I then had to remove the whole pump (as they eat their eggs, it seems), and placed it in a fishbowl I have here. The pump is hardwired into all the other aquarium goods to limit the amount of plugs I need, and this causes a huge problem as I now have to shut off half the main tank's stuff to keep the eggs from washing away in the bowl.

Anyway, so far so good, there's a lot of plants in the fishbowl (Vallis, just floating around), and I have a tiny 25W heater I added in there as well, set to 26°C. Most of the eggs turned white and moulded over and I was about to give up on this batch as well when I saw movement on the eggs a few days ago. Tails appeared and before long I ended up with around 15 wigglers. Not a lot, but they're there, and they're doing well.

I am going to move them into a breeding tank (one of those floating things) into the main tank this weekend. They're still attached with those strings, but apparently it's fine to move them anyway. I just don't know what to feed them yet. I don't have the cash now to order other foods online, so I'll probably just crush up into a fine powder the regular fish food I have. Would that be OK? Or should I try something else?

HugBug and Whoknows like this.
  11. Shabir

Shabir

Hi @Toxxyc and congrats on the fry. Angels are generally excellent parents so I'm really shocked you had to intervene to get the fry. With regards to crushed food yes that will work, even egg yolk fed with a syringe (messy)

Whoknows likes this.
  12. OP
    Toxxyc

Toxxyc

Yeah apparently with other fish in the tank, Angels are known for eating their eggs. So I had to move them.

An update, the eggs turned into wigglers, about 20 of those surviving long enough for me to remove them from the gross moldy eggs and turning into bigger wigglers/larvae that hung off the spawn spots with pieces of "string" or whatever. Of those, about 15 or so survived long enough for me to move them into the floating breeding tank (terrible thing, by the way).

Of those, only 8 have so far managed to survive and these are swimming around like mad. They're cute now, turning darker and actually starting to look like little fish. Probably 2~3mm in length now.

So, while I'm keeping those alive, last night the parents decided to spawn AGAIN. This time, again on the main circulation pump's housing, and A LOT more this time. I saw them spawning in time, and turned off all the pumps and circulation to get as many fertilized as possible.

So I'm going to keep them in the main tank for a day or so, and then move them. I'm busy hunting for someone's old throwaway tank that I can set up exclusively for eggs and fry now. I'm also trying to hunt down methylene blue or some sort of fungicide to keep the eggs from going moldy. I'm also looking for some fry food so I can feed the little ones, although the crushed food seems to be doing the trick right now.

So tl,dr: These Angels LOVE spawning. They do it often, with A LOT of eggs each time. It's pretty nuts.

Cale24, HugBug and Whoknows like this.
  13. Cale24

Cale24

Nice! It can be stressful, but breeding is fun.
    Hydrogen Peroxide works better than methylene blue for preventing the eggs going bad - you can get it at any pharmacy usually (Dischem I know stocks it). Buy an eyedropper at the same time:
    Drop in 10 drops of H202 for every 10 gallons/ 37 litres of actual water volume. That's for 3% / 10 Vol strength H202. If you buy 6% or 9% then adjust accordingly.

Good luck!

UV sterilizers will also help prevent those issues, just FYI. I have a small 9W one in my ram breeding setup.

Whoknows likes this.
  14. OP
    Toxxyc

Toxxyc

Hi guys, so due to time, space, cost and a kid who can't stop beating the glass, I think it might be time to let this short-lived hobby go. I have no idea what to sell a tank like this for, including all it's accessories though, or if there would be any interest?

15. Whoknows

Just build a fish room then lock the door. No more banging:lol:

You can post under equipment classifieds to sell if you want

A new day likes this.
  16. OP
    Toxxyc

Toxxyc

Already converted the space I had into a flat for an extra income, so there's really no more space for anything. It sucks.

Whoknows likes this.

Recent Posts