My 'Rescaping Team' Albino Red Oscars have spawned!

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by MariaS, Nov 11, 2015.

1. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

my tank 072.jpgHi Everyone..Just an update on my 're-scaping team', the red albino oscars I rescued a few months ago..

For some time now they have been showing courting behaviour and digging up the tank to bare glass.. etc... but nothing serious.

About 3 weeks ago they continued this but started getting more agro than usual towards the other fish in the tank although they didnt hurt anyone, everyone was prety much confined to the one side of the tank so I decided it was time they got their own tank so... another tank was set up and I gave them their own home...

Much to my disapointment in the last 3 weeks (I thought they would be happy with this) they have hardly eaten and I was starting to stress that they were not happy although the courting behaviour continued.

2 or 3 days ago they were fighting like crazy and cleaning their rock over and over...

Last night they just wanted to bite me which is unusual and spat their food out... so again I was stressing big time... here I have to say... I didnt have my glasses on so I didnt see anything..
    Next thing Cesar walked in and shouts from the lounge: They have spawned!!! The rock is full off eggs!!
    Well.. that was a BIG SURPRISE!!!

Anyway.... we left them and late last last night they started eating the eggs so....
    I took the rock gently into a breeding net and have left it floating over an air stone in the tank...

Not sure if I have done the right thing.... I quickly googled oscar breeding and from some youtube movies i understood that the male would have fertilized the eggs as she laid them so I took the chance of assuming that by late last night these eggs if meant to be fertilized, would have already been fertilized...

Any help or advice please?????

Have I done the right thing???

I took pictures but forgot my cable at home so will post tonight but meantime here is a picture of my kidsmy tank 003.jpg

my tank 003.jpg

my tank 072.jpg

2. Guest

3. Linxie

Linxie

Congrats! I don't know anything about Oscars so I'm just here to cheer you on :D

4. thysie

thysie

Thats awsome

5. Broder

Broder

Very nice! I would assume that the male would fertilize the eggs instantly, the same as other cichlids like angels. I'm thinking that competition to breed in nature is very strong, so the male wouldn't risk dallying about while a competing male gets in there and pulls a postman stunt.

6. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Moderator

029.jpgThanks @Linxie @thysie and@Broder...

Here are some of the pictures as promised....

Not letting my hopes up too high but it has been exciting.. guess we now wait and see what happens..026.jpg

026.jpg

029.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Moderator

8. SterlingAce

SterlingAce

Congrats on all the eggs!

9. CoLd777

CoLd777

Looks great!!!

10. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Thanks @Sterling Ace, @CoLd777, now we wait and see.....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts