My Tanks

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by BoelderBeestie, Oct 4, 2016.

1. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I got a small tank for my shrimps so I can breed only the most red ones. I've selected 3 that's already berried and 3 that's saddled. I placed the most red male in there with them.

I put black foam on the bottom apposed to sand as it's easier to catch them and it will grow all the stuff the babies need. I placed a plant with wood from my discus tank in there to keep it cycled till the sponge kicks in. Also some ceramic rings for the babies to hide in.

Hopefully I can get a few nice red ones from this.

IMG_20161103_191618.jpg
    IMG_20161103_191639.jpg

2. Guest

3. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Just an update how things are looking over here. All 6 CRS are doing great.
    IMG_20161107_204853.jpg

My lilly I added to my guppy tank sprouted.
    IMG_20161109_160642.jpg

Going to replace the wood in the discus tank to bigger pieces for the bottom to match the proportions of the upright
    I placed in the left corner.
    IMG_20161109_193507.jpg

Vallis is comming in nicely. Upped the light with 2X25W gro lux's running with a 25W aqua life.
    IMG_20161109_193601.jpg
    The CO2 I added here is doing a awesome job. Baby tears are nice and bushy.
    IMG_20161109_193733.jpg

Immaculate combined with majestic and a pinch of magnificence.
    IMG_20161109_193846.jpg

mattie likes this.
  4. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Looking good @BoelderBeestie ....

Has that lily actually sprouted from a leaf stem?

And of course the monster and the dragon are my favorite and looking awesome!!

5. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Yes, bought a leaf from the lfs for R10 and the guy said that I must just let it float and it will sprout and it did. One day I will also have a red dragon, one day. Is there something like a short body silver arowana? The dude(very knowledgeable guy) at the lfs said mine might be one. He looks different that the others I've seen. The others are very long and thin fish even at 60cm they are only about 8cm top to bottom.

This one is 55cm-60cm now but he is very tall. The body in the mid section is over 15cm high excluding the fins and he is very wide as well about 6-8cm looking from the top. He is also very white. The others I've seen are much darker and more of a silver green color. He is white and pink on the fins. He is under a pink light in the pic but in normal sunlight he still has a pink shine on the fins and so bright white that it hurts your eyes sometimes when the light hits him just right. He is also not jumpy as the others, he tail walks instead of jumping when he is spooked.

One thing I wouldn't have believed if someone told me is how tame they get. I swear if he had ears I would have been able to call him by name haha. When I play with him during water changes he coils my hand and I can even pick him up without him flinching and when I let him go he turns around and comes back for more. More than just a fish this species.

Any ideas?

6. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

@BoelderBeestie, ok... I have learnt something new!!!
    I have always propagated mine with a piece of the rhizome, had no idea you could do it just from a leaf stem... Ummm.. good to know!!!

There are no short body silver aros as in a species but I have read that some farm was trying to develop a short body silver aro which apparently due to all the inbreeding to achieve this, develops a hump on its back
    The chances of yours being a short body are almost nil or one in a million

Your arowana is a normal beautiful silver ... the proportions are correct for a well looked after and well fed silver
    Their body develops that height with time and good feeding
    Cesar's we measured at just under 80cm when he put her in the new tank and her body height is also about 15cm... very fat...
    The hues on the colour might differ from fish to fish and can also be influenced by food
    Cesar's is silver but all her scales have a pink edge to them with some blue highlights. I think this is just a genetic variance on different individual fish just like happend in animals of the same species, some the colour is more prominent than others

As for the character, you have general traits and again you get differences in the same species from fish to fish or animal to animal
    Some have lovely characters others arent so nice..
    Interaction with your fish/pet from an early age also affects the character of the fish or whatever other pet you have
    I have heard of silvers where the owner says he cant have anything in the tank with them yet Cesar has added small fish to his tank several times and she wont touch any fish
    She usually sulks for 2 or 3 days when you change thing and doesnt eat but never been agro

Cesar's one is like yours, allows to be patted, rubs herself against his hand and.. he picked her out the tank to the container when transferingher about 3 weeks ago to the big tank and she allowed it..
    In fact, she knows me too as we live on the same property and help each other so I have fed her loads of times since a baby
    If i put my hand in the tank, she stays by me, if i go there and ignore her she patrols the tank up and down and gives us the evil look!!!

Sorry if Im rambling on.... I am a firm believer that interaction wiith any pet you have has a huge influence on their temperament however I suppose like people they each have their own character

As for the red dragon... haha.. I will do an update soon.... not sure if that character is going to be tha same as the silvers... that is a law to itself!!

7. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Nice reply @MariaS enjoyed reading it. Yes fish are amazing creatures and some people treat them so badly, such a shame. I also thought it's a nonsense story about mine being a short body. It's a pity about his one drop eye though but I got him like that so I don't mind it. I think he looks cute with it sometimes.

8. Waterboy

Waterboy

Awesome tank collection and awesome aro. I'm very envious :D

9. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

@Waterboy Thanks man I see you are also a capie, let me know if you have too much of something, like when a plant starts to overgrow your tank or too many shrimp so we can trade stuff. I throw away way to much plants every few months or so.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  10. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Experimenting with a lighter background a bit. It really pops the colors on the fish nicely.

IMG_20161110_190505.jpg

IMG_20161110_190255.jpg

IMG_20161110_190301.jpg

Heal, Vis, mattie and 1 other person like this.
  11. Waterboy

Waterboy

@BoelderBeestie awesome will do.
    The lighter background works well, those fish are stunning.

12. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Thanks man. Working my fingers raw on them but it looks like its starting to pay off. The bigger ones are starting to twitch which means they are reaching sexual maturity. So maybe this time next year I'll have babies to sell. That would be so awesome.

13. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

@BoelderBeestie, those discus are stunning but their colours have really come out with that background!

14. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

@MariaS Thanks, It's hectic how a simple thing like a background can make such a difference.

15. Titanreaper

Titanreaper

16. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

The Algae on the rocks is looking nice.
    IMG_20161112_165550.jpg

He's getting BIG haha.
    IMG_20161112_183059.jpg

IMG_20161112_183048.jpg

mattie likes this.
  17. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I took out the small wood pieces as it didn't fit with the upright. Going to put a big flat piece in rather come month end.

IMG_20161114_201041.jpg

IMG_20161114_201029.jpg

IMG_20161114_200905.jpg

I forgot to put the pre-filter back so had to take the thing apart again haha.

18. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I couldn't wait so I put the small pieces in my oscar tank and took a big piece to the discus tank. I drilled holes into the wood so that I didn't have to use fishing line to tie the plants to the wood and rather "plant" them.

Doesn't impact the look of the tank much. Looks pretty much the same.
    IMG_20161115_181017.jpg

Doesn't look so empty anymore.
    IMG_20161115_181615.jpg

IMG_20161115_181641.jpg

nate likes this.
  19. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Looking very nice @BoelderBeestie ... I want to hi jack that Oscar of yours!!!!

Ladysphinx likes this.
  20. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Fingers crossed!

21. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

They laid eggs!

Recent Posts