New 5Foot tank.

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by rednox, May 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. OP
    rednox

rednox CA Cichlids

Hi guys tried the bamboo but run in to some problems with one off the pieces made the tank dirty i did remove them for now.
    here is some pictures of it in the tank and once i had to clean the tank and sump think some else also added to it not sure maybe gravel. still want to do the concept off wood or something standing up straight or in that line.20180605_174635.jpg bambo 2.jpg bambo.jpg

2. Guest

3. OP
    rednox

rednox CA Cichlids

how it looks after the weekend. nownew sump lay.jpg new layout after.jpg

4. top dog

top dog

tank looking good
    do both heaters not fit into sump?

rednox likes this.
  5. OP
    rednox

rednox CA Cichlids

thanks man, no the 300w is to long have 150w in the sump both is eheim jager heaters. thinking of going green terrors see lot around the LPS.

6. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Nice little sump setup, rather like the fail safe for the heater. Any reason for the air stone? If I am reading the flow then the sump has very little anaerobic bacteria hideouts. Or is the idea to leave that for the substrate layer in the main tank?

Later Ferdie

rednox likes this.
  7. top dog

top dog

nice choice great color and personality also get to descent size without becoming physco. you planning on trying to grow up a pair or just a community. few other similar sized and temperament fish that are quite common, convicts, jack demesy, texas, salvini. could also try milder firemouths

@f-fish out of interest how important do you think the function of anaerobic bacteria is in your tanks cycle. I have seen alot of hype about it come and go over the years. I personally change large amounts of water often to eliminate nitrates so never had the holy grail of a fully cycled tank. but i am definatley curious to know if you are actively encouraging anaerobic bacteria and the results you are getting.

rednox likes this.
  8. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

I think it is more important in bare tanks than planted tanks - gut feeling. So if somebody is going to all the trouble of doing a sump then you have an ideal are to add it to your filtration considering water volume and flow rates.

In planted tanks we tend to have deeper substrates, so one needs to be careful with too deep ... nobody like the smell of old eggs ;-)

Sure we can achieve a lot with a WC - if you have water ...

Speculating but allot of the hype is either marine and DSB or the koi guys - that keep water pigs.

Just remember my main indicator is a good smelling planted tank. If that is not lekker then I start looking at other things - but seldom act on them directly, but I have easy keeping tanks. Plants adapt better than fish and take way longer to die with bad parameters. If you are keeping special needs fish all bets are off.

My go to to fix things WC, Purigen and them add extra bacteria - the later is bad for maintenance since it clogs canisters with all the extra gunk.

Later Ferdie

rednox likes this.
  9. OP
    rednox

rednox CA Cichlids

Hi Ferdie

As i said before i am new to sumps i felt that return was not making enough movement to help with oxygen so i was told adding air stone to sump can help( not fan of air stones in tank unless i have to) what do u suggest i do here and do i need more media let me know what u think thanks

Hi Mark

not sure yet will start with a few and see where it goes may need to add more shelter what do u think?

10. OP
    rednox

rednox CA Cichlids

i like to clean my substrate every few weeks so is the stone a bad idea in the sump?

11. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

I think you have loads of surface movement water dropping down onto batting, then over flows from the heater chamber. Unless you are trying to fix a problem in the sump I would not aerate extra on the sump.

Substrate cleaning is always a good idea if you do not have loads of plants. Now with loads of plants it becomes a debate.

As with all things - give what you have a spin and see what if anything needs tweaks in the future.

Later Ferdie

12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@rednox, as per Ferdie's comment above, you don't need an air stone in the sump unless you running K1 media
    The flow dropping onto batting and then from one compartment to the next is enough

You have quite a bit of media there in terms of amount of media only thing I don't like (personally) is the big blue balls you have
    Depending on your stocking levels in the future, you might have to change those for ceramics... matrix... or the other smaller dark blue balls that are all perforated

Those big balls are huge, take up loads of space but don't have a lot of surface for bacteria to grow on
    I had some of those in mine when I started and landed up throwing it all out and replacing with other media as I could

f-fish likes this.
  13. OP
    rednox

rednox CA Cichlids

Thanks guys will see how it goes and do tweaks as need the balls will keep for know but will change out if it does not work to the load i need. will remove the air stone for now.

any other tip please share maybe i can use to help me to in prove the setup. thanks again

f-fish and MariaS like this.
  14. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

@top dog - we have some good content on TASA ;-)

So back to the OPS sump ...

aeration in this filter is probably more beneficial than not but then one needs more natural filter media and maybe even move the aeration to the first compartment and do that with layers as described in the above thread.

So plastic has not only got limited surface area but dead bacteria does not cling to it so that now needs filtering, re-read https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/filtration-rates-flow-and-other-questions.6105/ not that it is the end-all but helps to put some pegs in the ground.

Later Ferdie

15. OP
    rednox

rednox CA Cichlids

thank u fish that thread helps and gives more idea of what to do will replace bio balls bit by bit for ceramics and matrix.
    i have removed the air stone. i had to add some bioballs to my over flow to help with noise can this lead to any problems in the future?

16. OP
    rednox

rednox CA Cichlids

6x small green terrors will remove some as they get bigger.

gt3.jpg gt1.jpg gt2.jpg

MariaS and top dog like this.
  17. OP
    rednox

rednox CA Cichlids

the overflow
    20180604_102720.jpg

Innocent159 likes this.
  18. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

actually think that is a good use for them .. in the overflow box, can not think of any reason why one would not want to do it ... alternative is to fashion a Durso standpipe ...

Later Ferdie

19. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

20. top dog

top dog

bio balls in overflow is a great idea, they work best with plenty oxygen so splashing water will provide that, they will also catch large debris from tank keeping out out the filter. You just going to have to clean it once in a while witch will suck.
    fish looking great, try look up gaupotemel on youtube he had a incredable continuity tank of green terrors probably 30 odd in a tank with a few sawing pairs. Was very cool

21. OP
    rednox

rednox CA Cichlids

hi all

small update was able to return some of the bamboo to the tank and looks to be running good here is photo and also what i am feeding them plus i give frozen shrimp to them once a week the hikari is twice a day the heavy blue photo is from playing with my phone's settings haha.

thx blue.jpg food.jpg new layoot.jpg

Recent Posts