New build - 1.45 x 600 x 450

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by BradK, May 15, 2019 at 9:34 PM.

1. BradK

BradK

Hi Guys

I'm building a new tank and decided to make new build thread, cos even though i have so much to learn, Im not very new anymore

So last year, October or so, the wife bought a two foot tank for the son and the rest is history. The tank brought back all my childhood memories of my best friend and I keeping fish in small tanks. I had 3 x 10 gallon tanks by my bed side. We even dug a whole in his parents garden and cemented it, lol. Its still there if you move the soil, good times :). So the bug bit hard.

I went quickly from a 2ft to a 3ft. And now Im ready for something new. I looked at every available space in the house to put a tank. I was very limited and the space available dictated the the tank size hence the 1.45 x 600 x 450, 10mm. Believe me I looked at squeezing a 3m in. The wife was not having it, lmao.

So today I finally settled every detail with the builder, put it on paper and signed it off. He can build the tank in two weeks but I asked him to built the metal frame first so i can complete the carpentry before the tank arrives. I'm in no hurry, Im willing to wait 4 weeks, to get it right.

I made two changes for my final build. I went from 50cm high to 60cm and i had to move the overflow from the corner to the center as i wanted my return to come through the overflow. I never really liked overflow boxes but my plan is to use alot of plants, so it will be mostly covered up. So right now Im just waiting and thinking about what pump to use, what lights and what to put in the tank. feel free to chime in, Im sure i forgot something. I cant wait :).

Tank Build final (2).png Tank Build final (2).png Tank Build final (3).png Tank Build final (4).png

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 9:48 PM
  2. Guest

3. Whoknows

Whoknows

600cm high tank... That's one deep tank... You could swim in there :lol:

jerry.singh.9022 likes this.
  4. OP
    BradK

BradK

Lol typo, lmao. Its late man. Still at work.

5. eros111

eros111

@BradK - You have the perfect opportunity whilst building, to rather drill a hole in the back panel, and put in tank connector fitting ( i would go with a 40mm fitting at least) overflow pipe to the sump - so no need for an overflow box. Much easier and better looking than big box in your tank. The return from pump then just needs to be pumped into the opposite side of the tank - easy!
    The size of your pump you work out according to liters in tank and sump combined. Look at trying to turn your total amt of water thro the sump 6-8 times an hour. So your tank is about 390 L + your sump volume x's 6 gives you min lph.
    Also just a question, how many chambers in your sump. I would make the sump at least a 200 - 250L size (or bigger )
    All you need, I reckon, is 3 chambers - the first with a filter sock over the end of the inlet to the sump with sponges ( or filter wool) to catch the solids, the second for media and the third is the pump return chamber. Some guys put in 4 or 5 or 6 divisions - all too complicated.
    Very exciting project - will keep my eyes on this one

BradK, MariaS and jerry.singh.9022 like this.
  6. Whoknows

Whoknows

At work so late... What kinda of job is that... That's horrible :(

7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@eros111 , agree with you 100% except one thing
    I wouldnt use filter socks ... I have found them to be a pain... they block up easily and an even bigger pain to get clean
    If your water flows in via the overflow pipe and under to the next compartment, you put a layer egg crate and then layers of batting on top
    So so much easier than keeping tje socks clean
    Just what i have found

BradK and jerry.singh.9022 like this.
  8. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Unless you are backing the tank into a corner - I would try and keep the side panels clear of construction and even then a 45 degree box back to side has always looked cleaner than a box.

Later Ferdie

9. OP
    BradK

BradK

Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback. All my decisions were based on my space issues. I'm going to have this tank in this spot for like minimum 3 years. Unless things change quickly and I move .. so its build for that space. And in the future will become my sump... you follow my chain of thought lmao .

So I didn't want any external piping, cos I'll need to have space behind the tank or sides of the tank. The tank is going on a wall that is 1.5 meters long exactly. One side is the walkthrough to the kitchen and the other side an adjacent wall. The space between my dining room table and the tank will be like 10 cm away from the table. hence the 45cm wide.

I dnt like overflow boxes myself. And for the application it works out. I'm going to start my driftwood and long plants from that side of the tank and it will be blocked from view.

For the sump my 3 foot will have to do my for now until I can afford to build a bigger one. It will have 3 chambers for media. Plus some bio balls I plan to put in the sump. For the fish I plan to have I think will ok for now until I can get a bigger one.

I did a quick drawing to explain my space. The tank will be level to the table so when we sit we the view will be sweet. It will almost fit the whole wall.The table is rather large lol. No chair will be in front of the tank.

Please throw ideas of how I can do it better in my space. Appreciate the feedback.20190518_130125.jpg

10. OP
    BradK

BradK

Also for the sump to maximize it I'm thinking of putting a DIY trickle filter almost the height of the cupboard in the first chamber. I'll tackle that when I get there. The tank builder called just now to ask me if u want to squeeze it too 1.47. I said no thanks my stand will stick out lol.

11. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Yeah makes sense .. so then upload_2019-5-18_15-47-1.png

back corner ? more front of glass space ?

Later Ferdie

12. OP
    BradK

BradK

I wanted that initially and we agreed on that. But I wanted a second hole drilled for the return pipe, that's comes from the overflow. So the builder feels more comfortable doing that in the middle rather than the corner. His personal display tank also is like this. Also the bracing will get in the way.

13. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Makes sense ..

BradK likes this.

Recent Posts