New planted tank for Angels

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by boetman, Jun 21, 2020.

1. boetman

boetman

Hi everyone!

I started a new project this week (spur of the moment) and thought Ill post what Im doing here.

I got a 800mmx500mmx800mm tank and I want to get a simple planted setup going.

For plants I want to get Amazon Swords (wazeers has some big ones) and Jungle vals. Im planning to get angels, neons and corys. I have pfs as substrate.

The tank has an internal filter. Ive added filter media and have the tank running. I added a temporary corner filter just to help and get water clear. I filled the first compartment of the internal filter with wool and the second with little plastic “bacti dwell” filter media.

Now for the questions, will a 1000L/h pump be enough? Do I fill the filter at the back to the top with filter media? Will a heater in the filter be OK?

Side note, I love the concept of a deeper tank and I think angels will be perfect, but getting anything done at the bottom is a mission.

CF5DE0AD-1BB2-4091-ABF4-64C383662304.jpeg

Cale24, T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  2. Guest

3. A new day

A new day

Nice! Yes in addition to the swords and vallis, perhaps cryptocorynes and anubias. They both do well in low light and don’t need much maintenance at all.

4. Cale24

Cale24

Nice challenge with those unusual dimensions. Should work well for angels.
    If the tank is 320 litres, a stronger pump might be ideal, but if the tank isn't heavily stocked and maintained as needed, 1000l/h should be ok.
    What internal filter are you using? It's generally preferable to fill all available space with media, but not so much that it constricts flow.
    As they say, better to have a little less media and more water circulating through a system.

As to the height, my friend with a 2m tank uses an extended clamp thing to help him access things a little easier :D

JoJo the Hammer likes this.
  5. OP
    boetman

boetman

I ended up getting a 1400L/h pump. The filter is essentially an internal sump at the back (I attached a horrible photo of the back)

Im using a pair of braai tongs to move the gravel around :D

05221469-3A1A-428D-8610-F921F6504E0A.jpeg

T. Guppy likes this.
  6. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@boetman, i cant make out very well but,

The first compartment where water goes in should be wool, then media in the rest and the pump in the last compartment
    The heater can go into the filter, ideally in one of the compartments that the water level doesnt go very low
    You can also put it in the pump compartment but there, you have to ensure that you keep a close eye that your wool doesnt clog up to the point that it affects the flow and the water level on the pump compartment goes down
    a lot

Nice setup!
    Think it will look stunning

7. OP
    boetman

boetman

Thats how I have it setup. The water is flowing in from the right, overflowing over the first divider into the middle compartment that has the Bioballs (and heater) in and then flowing under the second divider into the third compartment that has some more bioballs and the pump in it.

The water in the filter goes lower when the pump is running but it stays the same and does not drop too low, so Im assuming the the water is flowing into the filter fast enough.

8. OP
    boetman

boetman

So I got some plants and some wood today from Wazeers.

The Amazon swords are under the outlet of my pump. I figured they might be the best option So close to it.

As you can see, I tied a rock to the spiderwood woth a piece of tube as a temporary measure. Will it stay at the bottom after a while?

Im thinking of adding a few nerite snails in soon. Will it be too soon, since the filter has been running for about a week.

Any thoughts?

D484201C-FD1D-4D8C-B4EA-0F0E5D43AF32.jpeg

Cale24 and A new day like this.
  9. A new day

A new day

Nice @boetman :thumbup:

The spiderwood should sink after a couple of days to a week. New spiderwood grows a white slimy fluff so don’t be worried when that happens. Harmless and livestock love eating it. After a couple of weeks it will disappear never to come back.

The tank has to be cycled for nerites. They don’t handle any level of ammonia or nitrates. Ramshorns should be fine to add now.

Innocent159 and boetman like this.
  10. OP
    boetman

boetman

So the tank is still running with no fish but I have noticed a few things happening with my plants.

Firstly some of the old leaves are looking really bad, Im assuming thats because of handling and shipping etc. The new leaves however are red/ brown

Ive also noticed that there is what looks like a growth on them.

pics attached. Any ideas? This normal?
    I read that you can expect to lose about 50% of the old leaves, is that correct? Also, do I cut these off that are dead or looking bad?

9C0426DC-B694-4B4C-B81D-48DD0F3FDF38.jpeg

2ADEFBC5-A9F3-4151-A7C5-3F2F0D7CBCDE.jpeg

24DA3DEC-DEC6-4C74-A16F-11371BD825F0.jpeg

11. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Remove the old dying leaves. The plant will use its energy in trying to repair the brown dying and old leaves leading to the whole plant dying in the end.

A new day and rsa like this.
  12. OP
    boetman

boetman

So Ive added 6 albino Corys and 13 Neons to the tank and so far so good. Its been a week now with no casualties. It is the first time I have corys and I am amazed at how busy they are, it almost looks like they are playing. Its interesting to see that they are in the middle to top of the tank a lot at night when I have the light on. Is that normal? I thought they will be mostly on the gravel with the odd dash to the top?

13. JoJo the Hammer

JoJo the Hammer

My albino cories have been busy bodies their whole life-I used to dim the lights in the evening and they spent a lot of time in the upper parts of the tank doing the dolphin-frolic when the light was low. With a tall/deep tank like yours (and mine also) their behaviour changes-maybe the oxygenation is better at the top levels.

boetman, T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  14. A new day

A new day

Yeah. My corys also seem to interact with the hardscape in the 1,5m much more than they did in the jungle tank.

boetman likes this.
  15. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

I found with my Albinos, after I switched their lights off I still had the room's light on to study at night and they were more active at the surface also doing their dolphin thing

boetman likes this.

Recent Posts