Newbie To TASA

Discussion in 'New members' started by Teezy_Aro, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

60-70 waterchange is needed with that stock ;)

2. Guest

3. Discusnut

Discusnut Active Member

Piggie fish lol

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U72 using Tapatalk

4. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Teezy_Aro , the pellets is great for him and you can be glad he eats pellets
    Many of us battle to get arowanas on pellets and some never do
    As @BoelderBeestie said, prawn tail or strips of fish is also good for them
    They usually also love mealworms and crickets but sometimes when you spoil them with live food, then they dont want to take pellets so for now, i would carry on with pellets and maybe try fish and prawn as well

I am glad that you are aware of how big they get and realize you will need a much bigger tank.
    What no one realizes until you see it, is how powerful they are when they get big...
    Watch the top of your tank, as has been said, they excellent jumpers...
    Ours is about 80cm and she has broken through the sliders of the tank at least 3 times...

Awesome fish which will take your heart so long as you know what to expect and are prepared for it

5. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

By the way...

I agree that 15% water changes is very soon going to be too little with the stock you have and size tank
    Keep an eye on your water parameters as you going to have to up that to at least 50% very soon

6. OP
    Teezy_Aro

Teezy_Aro Active Member

thanks for all the help and feed back ladies and gents! ..

ive taken the advise for going as big a tank as i can next .. and have a buyer lined up for the 5ft ( its actually 1.6m ) .. and will see what is the biggest i can go with not too much of a hassle of getting it into where it needs to be .. so that is the next plan once i cleared off the 3ft tank with the convicts in .. i can start moving things around ..
    i will up water changes as from today as i wont be around to do them over the weeknd ..
    as for the aro .. he really just keeps growing and his colours have some really great dept showing through now .. so happy with him at this stage ..

7. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie Active Member

What I've done to help protect my aro is put foam around the bracing in the middle of the tank. Will get a pic for you later when I get home. Mine was always hitting his back against it and it pulled off scales every time.

They tend to swirl at the surface every now and then as they get bigger. Now he can hit it full power and just bounces off it without injury.

8. BoelderBeestie

Just one more thing I forgot to mention. When you are busy catching him be very careful that he doesn't jump out and fall on the ground. I used a net they use for trees to protect them from birds and covered the whole tank in case he jumped. I know I'm going on about the jumping but man can they jump and with power.

You won't see it coming either it's very explosive and quick. Also try to protect your eyes when catching him, imagine catching an arowana nose to the eye socket, it will take an eye out. He's still a puppy now you will see what I mean when he gets some good weight on him. Exciting stuff.

9. BoelderBeestie

Another thing haha. When you get the big tank and it has glass lids, tape the lids with clear box tape. This will enforce the glass immensely and also stop it from shattering if he hits it really hard and breaks it.

10. OP
    Teezy_Aro

Teezy_Aro Active Member

PERFECT ADVICE @BoelderBeestie .. i have watched many youtube videos of them jumping and fighting their ways while being moved .. and i was considering going with acrylic/perspex for the lid/sliders to prevent the shatter actually .. i just need to work out my "safe" dimensions and i can start the tank build from there ..
    see in our bar area where the 4ft is now, there is a space of around 800mm from the wall to the counter .. but there is only a meter space to " walk through " in the front .. the 4ft worked fine because it could swing around into place .. so i need to play with bigger size material and see how much space i will have .. i dont want to build a tank in their that can not be moved when i do move out .. so thats the project on the cars for the next few months ..

11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Teezy_Aro , its not that bad to net your arowana even when it gets bigger.

Stay calm and confident and dont start panicking even before you start.

Lower the water level in your tank to about half
    Use a swimming pool net, it's rectangular so the length lets arowana fit in snugly without stress and panic
    The water at half way gives you space to take control of the fish before lifting out of the tank and voila!

12. BoelderBeestie

@MariaS Yeah I also got it down now but the first time I caught mine was a mission as I amped myself for the fight. The staying calm part really works, it's if they can sense it when you are stressed. I read about the calming yourself down on an Asian website and it worked, some Asian guys even meditate before moving fish. My first catch was terrible for me and my fish, I nearly dropped him as he went mental. The second catch I relaxed and calmed myself and I just picked him up with my hands, didn't even need my net, he didn't fight me once and ate the same day in his new tank already. When I placed him in his new tank he just calmly swam out of my hands turned around and I petted him to say good boy haha. The release on the first catch was insane, he jumped and ran on the surface and it being a big kiddie pool was quite something to see, full throttle madness.

13. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Yep.. relaxing is the main thing
    Later on I will post a picture of Cesar with Dragon in his hands when he was moved last year to the big tank

14. OP
    Teezy_Aro

Teezy_Aro Active Member

So have had a bit of drama in the last week with the community .... the Aro has been going savage on the cigar sharks .. he has grown slightly larger than them and not sure if this is what spiked this aggression? .... however he does not go after the dollars or severum .. even though they are only around 5-6cm ... hec he doesn't even go after the little paradise fish which can easily fit into his mouth ...

i was away for around 2 weeks, and when i got back noticed a few scales at the bottom of the sand, these were definitely from the cigars as they looked a bit battered, which i thought was from them probably colliding with the slate and rocks .. so i removed these from the tank, however they looked worse the next day .. obviously this started worrying me .. a few afternoons later is when i saw the attack .. the aro moves in stealthy to the lower of the tank and strikes quicker than a blink of the eye.. and this was obviously happening for a while as u could see the fear in the cigar sharks as soon as the aro dropped levels ...
    so i immediately started up my 3ft tank again, threw in the filter and some cycled media ...
    its been about a week now, and the cigars are looking good again .. however the 3ft is way too small for them .. so i have some decisions to make moving forward ..
    ive started stripping the 1.5m tank aswell .. it will get new silicone in this week, and then i will move onto building a new stand for it.. and get that up and running .. but my fear is the aro will continue to attack them even in the larger setup ... what doesnt make complete sense is why only the cigars .. ?

15. BoelderBeestie

Does he continue his attack or does he run away after a bite. Mine did the same to my oscar. Slowly dive under him and then quickly bites him but he retreated after the bite and braced for impact as the oscar always retaliated with a good headbutt.

16. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Teezy_Aro .. few reasons can bring this on

First..understand one thing.. Arowana is the king of the tank especially upper level

They do not like fast fish crossing their path all time.. cigar shartks are very active.. this can annoy arowana and once she takes a dislike to them its hard to change
    Cigar sharks can sometimes be a bit of fin nippers.. if you do this to Aro.. that's it.. she hates you.

Your severums are mid level dweller.. when they come up to top they are calm and aro doesnt mind

And finally.. unfortunately i have to say this because i will not be giving honest advice if i dont...
    Tank size is the biggest problem.. and it wont get better in the 1.5m tank.... its going to get worse
    I am sorry... its the truth... i have been there and done that....

BoelderBeestie likes this.
  17. OP
    Teezy_Aro

Teezy_Aro Active Member

@BoelderBeestie .. from what i saw .. it was a 1 hit .. then attempt for a second ... but this ONLY happens after feeding .. through the rest of the day they would be fine .. even when i get home .. i usually spend around 10-15mins in front of the tank to unwind .. and they would be fine ... feed ... and once the food is done .. baaam .. i thought maybe he was still hungry, so i fed a bit more .. and as soon as food was done .. went in for the attack again .. thats when i seperated them ...

@MariaS , yes i figured it would be a territory thing .. however the Aro is the only top dweller until feeding time .. no one comes in his way .. and when they do .. he swims around them as if they not there ... Aro's fins are pristine with zero tears since i got him .. so i know that was not the case .. i will be working on getting a bigger system, or as big as i can for the space that i have along side the bar .. he is my priority and if it means having to let the Cigars go, thats what it will be .. there isnt really much to think off when it comes to him vs any other fish .. ( Anyone know the Value or worth of 2, 25cm Cigar Sharks? )

i would love a 1.8m .. i just dont think i will be able to turn it into the space along side the bar counter though .. i need to work out my next steps .. and the 1.5m tank is actually a 1.6 x .5 x .5 .. so once its sealed up i will try move it and take things from there i guess ...
    hopefully get something a bit longer, wider, taller ....

18. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Teezy_Aro ... this little monster measured 97cm 3 weeks ago.... more than half of a 1.8m tank....050.JPG

19. OP
    Teezy_Aro

Teezy_Aro Active Member

Bit of an update after changing a few things in the 4ft ...

20. OP
    Teezy_Aro

Teezy_Aro Active Member

The Cigars are out and im trying to sell them off ..
    I have gotten a few more Silver Dollars and Love that they school in a group together ..
    Aro is still packing on size and chowing down pellets like theres is no tomorrow ... which is good ...
    And ... im still on the hunt for a 6+ft system ...
    went to see a 2.2m tank for a very good price ... however it wasnt in a great condition .. being left outside through most of winter, the stand was wedged deep into the ground .. and we just couldnt move it with the little man power i had ... so the hunt is still on ...

21. OP
    Teezy_Aro

Teezy_Aro Active Member

Recent Posts