No plant experience but very curious!

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by JasonLee27, Feb 12, 2018.

1. JasonLee27

JasonLee27

Hi guys...

I have been trolling a couple threads involving planted tanks and I am considering doing it myself.

I have a nice piece of wood in my tank and I'm wondering what plant could attach itself to it?
    And if it is possible with a tank full of malwis what plant would be possible?
    How should I plant it as I have no substrate beneficial for plants hence why I want it attached to my piece of wood.
    I like the look of java moss, java fern, but I'm open to a number of plants, but plants where I can leave it and forget about it, meaning no extra equipment, until I get the hang of it type thing...
    Also I've read that plants need to be QT'd- is that true? And if so what would the procedures be?

Thanks in advance
    Jason

Sent from my LG-M400 using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. RobK

RobK

From what I know..which is very little, Java fern and Anubia are the best bet...not sure about any others.

4. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Good question - thanks, you had me digging for an easy list then ...

See tropica's site ... http://tropica.com/en/plants/search/

upload_2018-2-13_2-7-46.png

I did not realise Pogostemon helferi would be one of them - could explain why mine always failed ... now I need to try this ;-)

Have also not tried Cryptocoryne beckettii, can easily see that this would be the case with that monster root system it kicks out.

Malawi's - I hear about limited success with them and plants ... also plants mostly like a bit more acid / neutral water column.

You can plant stuff in unglazed terracotta pots ... that will not stop some fish from having the side order of greens.

Why not get a small planted tank ... even if it is no substrate or filtration, nice bit of wood etc ..

Later Ferdie

5. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@JasonLee27 .. plant wise I think Ferdie has given a good list..

As far as Malawis and plants go... your chances are very slim....
    You can try planting in ceramic pots or maybe some java or anubias tied to the wood but as I said chances are slim as they destroy the plants

You will see that most Malawi setups are done with a scape of rocks r wood or a combination of both and some use artificial plants

But.. give it a go.. maybe you lucky

6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

You could try some robust plants in the substrate, and pile up some pebbles around the base to stop them being dug up.

Recent Posts