Official anti-derail thread

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic chat' started by Ladysphinx, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

As I say to my kids when they come home with disappointing school results : "As long as you tried your best, that's all that matters"

Rainstorm likes this.
  2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Well done on passing @Rainstorm ..

Its not always about the high marks... often in examination people forget part of what they studied
    Your future hands on experience is what really makes you grow

Rainstorm likes this.
  4. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Yeah i have over 10 years experience so it's easier for me on the practical side more than theoretical. The areas highlighted that i failed to answer correctly, are those areas that i actually excel very well at in practical.

I think its more of the questions being trickier and throwing you off your game. It was a good thing i memorized most of the firewall ports and numbers

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

5. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak Comp Coordinator

Ran 7km for athletics practice, gonna take a shower in deep heat.

6. andries

andries

When riding around looking for whatever fish related. First stop was Fantasea in China mall. What a let down. Plastic plants and expensive everyday fish. R25/neon & R65 saimese algae-eater. Off to Kenilworth Aquarium center in Rifle Range road, joburg south20180130_115552.jpg 20180130_115601.jpg 20180130_115607.jpg 20180130_115617.jpg . Now this is an good place. About 40 cichlid tanks, malawi's, tangs, south america. Gourami's and everything in between. Nice selection of rocks, spiderwood, ornamental wood, tanks and massive display tanks. Unfortunately the 4 m is undergoing maintenance. Watched how they glue a tank and put it together. Not good selection of plants, though. Small silver aro's at R550-00. Seachem and other ferts but no Scape.

7. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@andries some nieces hardscape there.
    Some of the stones look quite rough. Have to be careful with that. Fish can scrape themselves and get quite badly injured.

8. ChristiaanVDH

ChristiaanVDH

The pet store in ontdekkers at Princess crossing has a couple

9. Pezulu

Pezulu

andries likes this.
  10. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Way too overstocked

11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I agree.. but if memory serves me right, isnt that the guy that rescues fish and i think then re homes them as he can?

12. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Yes, the same guy. It must be near impossible to move most of those fish off again.

13. Pezulu

Pezulu

One of my (many) wishes is that the sale of large fish be tightly controlled.
    Persons wishing to own fish that reach those massive sizes need to be carefully screened, and only once tank size and sufficient knowledge have been proven, the fish may be sold to them.

I know there are a lot of people that keep these monsters, with many of those members taking perfectly good care in the right conditions of the fish.
    There are however still too many people that buy fish on impulse without realising the size the fish can attain.
    All too often there are advertisements from people wishing to get rid of fish that have outgrown their tanks.

Browsing Facebook and other sites there are daily advertisements, as well as requests from people looking for blacklisted and banned species of fauna and flaura.
    Red-eared Sliders are a prime example.

In an Utopian world petshops would advise prospective fishkeepers on the size and living requirements of each fish they wish to keep, and not sell off tanks and livestock simply for the chance to make a sale.
    Perhaps one day that will be achieved.
    Until then all we can do is try and educate people regarding a hobby, pastime or passion that we all share.

MariaS and Hendre like this.
  14. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Problem is some petshops are guilty of it too, selling them in the first place when they shouldnt.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

15. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I agree 100% with you @Pezulu

As you know, we have some big tanks and fish however some of the fish in question not even people like us could keep long term
    Its not only the sizes they reach but also the fact that they are highly predatory so you get to the point where you can only either keep one fish or you need a few monsters that dont fit in each others mouths and then your BIG tank is not enough either..

I watched a video not long ago of a red tail catfish that flipped an approximately 40cm ray in half and ate it..

Cesar and i went and do some shopping yesterday and one LFS had probably over 25 redtail catfish
    They were about 6cm and... so cute.... so... by next week they will probably all be sold...

But... will it ever change???

Rainstorm likes this.
  16. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak Comp Coordinator

25 red tail cats? Omgg

I've seen a guy on another forum (not naming names) from SA who had snakeheads, red tail cats, peacock bass and even a young wallago catfish! He has a large tank, but two of those fish are clearly illegal and most of them will outgrow his tank in the long run anyway. These fish should be special order only

17. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I get why you wouldn't want to name names, but flaunting illegal fish online doesn't help the case - people will see his example and want to follow it, knowing well enough it is now possible to obtain specimens in this country. In turn, fueling demand.

I'm involved with a local environmental care team - very small-scale stuff, and I'm on board for the local aquatic stuff and advise where I can. But just this week we had a snakehead scare, as some local fishermen swore they had seen some. I got worried immediately, not only because Durban climate would host certain species rather well, but because I know that some of the local stores have sold snakeheads in the past and they sold out rapidly. Fortunately, it was a misidentification.

The system is still chock full of alien species, though: bass, carp (koi), terrapins, swordtails, guppies, and mosquitofish. There are barbel present, too, which we fear might have been transplanted here for fishing purposes. But at least four of the above species entered the system thanks to the pet trade.

Back on topic, I doubt there would be any form of screening on owning potentially large fishes, especially a labour-intensive process involving a background/knowledge/experience/equipment check. Anything that might impede cash flow in the pet trade will likely result in fierce backlash, as has been seen in the attempts to control other aquatic species... has anyone been following the trout argument in South Africa?

Regards,

Hendre and Rainstorm like this.
  18. Innocent159

Innocent159

Looking for 00 capsules to put oscomte in. Dischem don't have

19. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Have you tried looking online?

20. Innocent159

Innocent159

It is available online but i was hoping i i cou get it in a store

21. Innocent159

Innocent159

Really dont like to buy online. Can anyone point me to a reliable source or sell me 50 to 100 caps.

Lookongfor gelatine size 00 capsules

Recent Posts