Overflow box question

Discussion in 'General Equipment discussion' started by PappaBear, Jul 21, 2021.

1. PappaBear

PappaBear

Hi guys

I bought a couple of 2nd hand tanks, they have built in overflow boxes. This is the first tanks that i have with overflow boxes in.

My question is this:

If water comes in on the one side of the tank, and the overflow is on the other side of the tank, does the water mix sufficiently? My concern is that new water just flow on the top over and out the box?

Please give your comments. My previous tanks had overflows which the inlet is in mid level in the tanks

2. Guest

3. Whoknows

Whoknows Comp Coordinator

Mine is like this. 2 tanks have this design but one tanks inlet is is the middle not the end(there's a wall in the way) it works though I've had no negative experiences but I do have airstones in the tanks to create more water movement.

4. OP
    PappaBear

PappaBear

So I came up with a plan:

O bottom feeding overflow: Will also form stage 1 of my mechanical filtration

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-22 at 8.33.02 AM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-07-22 at 8.32.50 AM.jpeg

5. fux940510

fux940510

You'll need to watch out for what happens with a power outage - having the intake of the overflow so low means the water will siphon out until it gets to that level. So you'll need to have a pretty big sump with lots of overflow space, and scape the tank so any plants will not be exposed.

A better solution might be to setup a wavemaker to ensure the water circulates adequately and there is enough circulation at the substrate level to pick up any muck. Even setting up the return from the sump to move water around rather than sending it along the surface would work. Alternatively, a small hole in the overflow close to the water surface to help break the siphon might work

6. OP
    PappaBear

PappaBear

No, the original overflow box stays in place, water cannot drop below that level in the event of a power outage. Water moves up between the 2 boxes. so once input stop, overflow stops. Not closed at the top.

fux940510 likes this.
  7. JPB

JPB

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  8. OP
    PappaBear

PappaBear

Yes, the outer box is higher than the first, but still lower than my tank level. so if the sponge gets clogged, the outer box overflows (also indicating to me that the sponge is clogged.

Thanks for your input guys!

JPB likes this.
  9. fux940510

fux940510

Ah, right, misinterpreted your drawing then. All looks good then :thumbup: I'm curious to see how it works out

Recent Posts