Parents eating wrigglers

Discussion in 'Discus Breeding' started by Abbas, Jun 6, 2018.

1. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Very nice man, get the brine shrimp hatchery ready.

Abbas likes this.
  2. Guest

3. OP
    Abbas

Abbas

Its ready already ;). Today they are 3 days old free swimming (my most successful batch so far- touch wood). Their eyes are more visible and they have some sort of tail-like feature. Will post pic later

4. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Making progress - the parents are getting better at being parents. All the best for this spawn

Innocent159 and Abbas like this.
  5. Ammar

Ammar

looks awesome.. how difficult is it to care for Discus? the price tag on them and what I hear about their sensitivity to environment changes makes it very intimidating

6. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Not hard but you work on them almost daily and if you slip up they show you very quickly. Correct feeding is critical and you can't feed them only store bought dry foods and expect good results. Raising fry correctly is the hard and expensive part. Try keeping your current tank's NO3 at 10ppm or under while feeding a good fatty granule and frozen food and you'll see what I mean on the work almost daily part. All uneaten food, feces needs to be removed. Then there's the problem of finding good fish, petshop discus is a write off.

Abbas and Ammar like this.
  7. Ammar

Ammar

Awesome thanks @BoelderBeestie What about tanks size? could you keep a pair in a 3 foot lets say (sorry @Abbas if i'm hijacking your thread)

8. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

That's too small, for breeding you want a cube of 60x60x60cm. This allows the fish to spawn on the cone from any direction and also helps when the fry starts eating the frozen foods because of the extra water volume. A 3ft only holds about 90L of water and is not enough, a 60cm cube holds around 200L and 150L when you need to drop the water level sometimes for the fry to find the parents. You work on 60L of water per adult fish.

Also don't expect to buy a "breeding pair" and be successful, that doesn't happen often. You raise a group and they will pair off by themselves. I have done forced pairings before but the female gets damaged by the male so you have to be very vigilant when doing this and take appropriate action. There's one female I have that my male won't except no matter what and nearly kills hers when they are together so I gave up on her with him.

Abbas and Ammar like this.
  9. OP
    Abbas

Abbas

@BoelderBeestie hit the nail on the head as he answered your questions @Ammar. You need atleast 8-12 juveniles in a tank to be almost gaurenteed a pair (almost). Pet shops are super expensive when selling discus fish, and they are often deformed, underfed, stunted and just look unhapppy. If you see my adult discus pics in the beginning of this thread, they look like that because they get fed a variety of foods, along with regular water changes.

In terms of health, their immune systems aren't the greatest. However with that said, if your water conditions are good you shouldnt have issues. Ive lost about R3000 as all 8 of my juveniles died when i initially started keeping discus fish 3 years ago. I say go for it, and see it as a challenge.

Ammar likes this.
  10. OP
    Abbas

Abbas

Update: i've lost about another 5 fry since day 2 free swimming. Im happy with the number of losses this far. The dad is doing really well, he swims/floats to either side of the tank slowly, therefore allowing most fry to nibble on him as he passes them by. I started feeding newly hatched brine shrimp as well. IMG_20180613_162510.jpg IMG_20180613_073852.jpg

Nico Hamman likes this.
  11. OP
    Abbas

Abbas

I just had to...IMG_20180613_191056.jpg

kingy and Nico Hamman like this.
  12. kingy

kingy

Awesome pic!!

Abbas likes this.
  13. AmithS

AmithS

Very nice - all the best!

Abbas likes this.
  14. Ammar

Ammar

@Abbas im very keen. Getting a 700l built, i think discuss will be amazing in there. Hopefully you get to grow these babies and i can grab them from you if you decide to sell.
    I would enter that pic in fish of the month... amazing pic. Good luck and keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. OP
    Abbas

Abbas

Haha done! Competition entered! Thanks.

I will definitely be selling, someone already ordered 12 if i manage to grow them successfully.

Ammar likes this.
  16. Ammar

Ammar

Awesome, how often do they spawn? Hopefully ill get from next set

17. OP
    Abbas

Abbas

The female appears to be ready already. They usually spawn twice a month when they in the mood. Hopefully theyll be more successful from now onwards.

Ammar likes this.
  18. Ammar

Ammar

Awesome stuff, hope it all works out

19. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Great news this morning, well done Abbas. Now your babas must grow big and strong. Now that you have them to keep you busy for the next 5 months, when you pull the male eventually and place him back in the community you can let him and the girl just do their thing while you work on these. Maybe by the time you spawn them in the breeder again she will have learned that babas shouldn't be eaten but cared for.

20. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Typically how many fry do you guys get per spawn? And what do you do with them all when they grow up considering that they require large tanks?

21. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

My fish get between 150-120 freeswimmers, then the parents take out the belly sliders and the ones that don't swim properly. I do the first cull after 2 weeks and are left with 100-80. Second cull is at one month and I cull all the ones that has something wrong, like bad fins or that lagged behind in growth. I'm usually down to around 70-60 then. After 3 months there's another cull for the laggers but it's not many culls then. At 5 months I cull again and start selling the ones I'm happy with. I kept 30 for myself from last year and sold around 30 and then killed mine with chlorine at 10 months old, ai.

There's never a spawn without culls, sometimes more than others but culls there will be.

Recent Posts