Planted thank and shrimp first attempt

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by furjee, Feb 28, 2018.

1. furjee

furjee

Good day guys ,

Need some help here .

This is my first attempt at a tank in general and i have some issues and questions that i need some help with
    IMG_20180120_174644.jpg

Currently im having some issues wit my water temp , some days the water can get up to 31 depending on the weather but it averages around 28 -29 . what can i do do bring the temp down , i read that if you want to keep shrimp you need the water temp to be around 23-27 .

when i acquired the plants some how snails got in the tank and because of no netflix there is around 50 small ones in the tank (newborns i think) if i get loaches will they be able to rid the tank from snails?
    IMG_20180207_203000.jpg

I planted grass but for some reason the grass desoved (no idea how to explain it but now im stuck with this around the tank)
    IMG_20180207_202918.jpg

what type of plant can i get to make a carpet on the floor of the thank as i do want to get shrimp on a later stage .

Thanks for the help :)

2. Guest

3. WadeSmith

WadeSmith

@furjee On the temp problem that you are having, one thing you can do is drill a large enough hole in the lid to fit a fan(something like a computer fan) to extract some of the heat out. This will also cause more evaporation in the tank. But not many people are willing to just drill a hole into their tank lid when it comes to tanks like yours. I wouldnt personally do it, but its a suggestion. Hopefully someone else can give you a better way of reducing heat.

Loaches will definitely be able to help you out with your snail problem, BUT they will also help you out in destroying all your plants so loaches arent such a good idea in a planted tank. Another thing is that loaches need to be kept in groups of 5 or more and with the size that some loaches get, your tank will be too small for them. Another problem is that if you get shrimp, they will consider the shrimp as a nice meal just as they do with the snails.

When it comes to planted tanks, i wont be able to give you any advice as i have never had a planted tank before and dont really know much about it.

I know @Pezulu is successful at planted shrimp tanks and all that, so maybe he can help you out with some questions.

4. crashrun

crashrun

Hi ......First off....loaches will eat all your shrimps.....might not be a good idea to get them

5. OP
    furjee

furjee

@crashrun , yes luckily i don`t have shrimp yet but will have to remove the loaches before i do get them , they will just be there to remove the snails at the moment

6. OP
    furjee

furjee

@WadeSmith Thank you for the feedback will have a look at that ,just dont want to drill the hole in the top of the tank

7. Pezulu

Pezulu

An alternative to loaches would be Assassin snails.
    As their name suggests, they assassinate snails.
    The snails in your tank look like Pond snails, which are heavily predated on by Assassins.

It seems like the grass melted, as it was possibly grown emersed, and now that you have it submerged it needs a period of settling in.
    Growing carpets in a low tech tank is notoriously difficult.
    I generally just tie some Susswassertang to a piece of driftwood or a stone, and place that in the tank. Within a month or so the Susswassertang has created a nice effect, and given the shrimp some place to hide in as well.

Try and keep the tank lid open slightly to aid in evaporation.
    You can prop open the lid by using a small PC fan. All it needs is power (+ & -) to cool the tank by quite a few degrees.

8. OP
    furjee

furjee

@Pezulu Thanks so much for the feedback .
    So i took everyone's advice so instead of loaches i got the assassin snails and i must say they`re awesome
    IMG_20180303_190428.jpg

Also i removed the main grass and got the following plants
    IMG_20180304_141600.jpg

Now the next step is to get some moss and drift wood and finally to top it off with shrimp

Thanks for the help :)

9. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak Comp Coordinator

Looking good :)

The grass possibly melted due to not enough light, lack of nutrients or simply didn't acclimate. It's not known as the easiest plant unfortunately :(

10. fishanatic

fishanatic Tales of the sword

You not running a heater in your set up are you?

11. Nirv

Nirv Trachelyopterus

This was hilarious, made my day :lol:

It's looking good so far, I think you've got the right idea with the driftwood as a nice addition.

furjee likes this.
  12. Edward Lewis

Edward Lewis

I had the same problem with the temperature, I mounted a fan in the lid and controlled it with a small 12v refrigerator digital thermostat.

furjee likes this.

Recent Posts