Power outage emergency- please help!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by A new day, Jul 13, 2020.

1. A new day

A new day Moderator

Massive storm here last night resulting in damaged power cables in the neighborhood and resulting power outages. Trees got blown over blocking the road. Our trampoline got airlifted over the (rather high) boundary wall and crashed onto a car parked across the road. I kid you not.

Having a rather hellish day trying to keep fish alive, thank goodness no losses thus far. Power has been out since 2am though. Heating the rooms, wrapping towels and blankets around the tanks. Intermittent air stones with USPs.

Hubby brought 2 massive batteries from the office for me to run filters and heaters a bit. Lasted less than an hour and we’re out of moves basically, not knowing when the power lines would be fixed. Apparently damage to many, so probably a backlog.

Had to move the fish from QT and 44L across to the 65L just now.

In between all of this the son decided to ‘prune’ my pico / wabi kusas “to help it grow better” (was bound to happen at some point, let’s face it). Then he tuned me “adults are not supposed to cry, you know”

So now the question is, how long do you reckon the fish would suvive without filter, air exchange and heater? The jungle tank is particularly vulnerable to temp drops...

The hubby asked me to post this question and get feedback. If the fish won’t survive the night (which I suspect) we’ll buy a generator probably but it’s a big expense.

Thanks in advance... :(

2. Guest

3. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Omw what a terrible day! So sorry this all had to happen to you now...

I have found my 30l tank can go a whole night without the filter on, and it has 5 cories, 3 guppies and some shrimp.. It's not an ideal situation but I do know it can go that long... Plants will also help oxygenate the water but obviously only until it gets dark...

A new day likes this.
  4. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

As for warmth, maybe you could invest in a gas heater? Might be a bit cheaper than a generator, and it'll keep the room temperature warm and then when you go to bed just wrap the tanks to maintain their warmth

A new day and fux940510 like this.
  5. J’den

J’den

Sent you a whatsapp

A new day likes this.
  6. Pezulu

Pezulu

If you can afford it, get a generator, and have an electrician connect it to your DB with a cross-over switch.
    We have one, and it runs our whole household.
    It is an expensive item though, and running costs are also high.

A new day and Whoknows like this.
  7. Jayswizzles

Jayswizzles

Can you potentially not rent a generator, I have seen people do this. rent it for a day or so

A new day likes this.
  8. Jayswizzles

Jayswizzles

9. Cale24

Cale24

Sheesh, that's crazy- sorry to hear of the chaos. I know that feeling, went through a long power cut late last year and also nearly lost my fish.
    Depending on where the temperatures are at, I'd put all the fish into one or two tanks and just try and insulate as best you can. Polystyrene pieces against the glass could help?

I'd try and fill a couple of those 25l plastic barrels with hot water (from anyone nearby with power) and top up the tanks every hour or so?
    Or, move all fish that are unlikely to handle much cooler temps into a couple buckets, and take them (with sponge filters and a heater in each) to someone with power until things come right?

A new day likes this.
  10. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Prime can help deal with ammonia

A new day likes this.
  11. twincam16

twincam16 Nigelg

Sorry , hope you come right.

A new day likes this.
  12. Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

Gas heater like suggested and use an ice cream bowl take out 2 liters and pour it back in this will help with gas exchange.

A new day likes this.
  13. Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

What size is your generator?

14. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Sorry to hear @A new day

I would go with the generator not only for the fish but also for you and family as the repairs could take some time
    Buying one is an expense but worth it, otherwise renting one i guess is the other option

All best

A new day likes this.
  15. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

Thank you so much everyone. Much appreciated! When panicked I sometimes get brain freeze :lol:
    Special thanks @J’den for your offer also :thumbup:

Based on your ideas I’ve done the following:
    - warm water changes
    - extra prime and stability
    - hubby rented a generator for the day, so the 3 most important tanks currently running properly. But the generator is extremely noisy and the hubby thinks out of consideration for the neighbors we can’t run it through the night. Next obstacle.
    - I haven’t fed at all today
    We do have a gas heater I’ll put in front of the jungle tank tonight. We’ve been stoking the fireplaces full speed all through the day.

I’m pretty amazed that the fish have made it thus far, @Cale24 especially the rams, they look totally normal. But also know that these types of stresses have lag effects so it doesn’t necessarily mean that all the fish will be fine in the medium to long term :(

T. Guppy and Cale24 like this.
  16. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Send the neighbours the chocolates and a note explaining the situation, hopefully they can understand the problem at large

eros111 and A new day like this.
  17. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Dont put the heater too close to the tanks. You want to heat the room, not the glass.

Personally I would put blankets on the tanks and hope for the best. Water has a high heat capacity so it should keep the heat pretty well if insulated.

A new day likes this.
  18. Cale24

Cale24

Glad fish (and you) are doing okay! If in good health, I'm sure they'll pull through, short of very low temperatures. The checklist sounds good. Gas heater and a fireplace at full tilt will be a big help, perhaps enough for the night without a generator (perhaps run that till 7/8pm though?).
    I can always look after a few fish if you are really up against it (likely in a large wheeled tub of mine, about 130l total) but would need your heaters. Hopefully things remain ok - sounds like it so far, but if not let me know.

Over only 2.5 hours, my tank temperatures dropped 3°C on the weekend when load shedding started, so it's certainly the worst time to suffer an outage!

A new day likes this.
  19. Kiaan26

Kiaan26

IMG-20200713-WA0023.jpeg Spent about an hour today heating tank water on the stove and pouring it back into the tank one bowl at a time. Raise the temperature from 17C to 21C. It was urgently needed as some of my fish were showing signs of the cold getting to them.

A new day likes this.
  20. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

We’re reaching out to neighbors trying to gauge how much of an issue the noise is, explaining the situation and offering them to plug in essentials where possible...

ZubairKhan likes this.
  21. ZubairKhan

ZubairKhan

@A new day
    So sorry to read this, it was crazy last night and even today, hope they all pull through, i do think that heating the room and covering the tanks with blankets will do the trick also, your water babies are very well taken care of and lucky you and your husband care so much!
    Shout if you need some supplies or anything

A new day likes this.

Recent Posts