Removing stubborn algae from glass

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Razaaq, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Razaaq

Razaaq

Hi guys

I need assistance with removing some stubborn algae from the glass. I've been using a conventional sponge that removes most of the algae but there is still some left behind. Any ideas?

2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

credit card or Stanley blade ....

Razaaq likes this.
  4. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Thete are a variety of scrapers with blades available that works very well.

5. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak Comp Coordinator

I use a kitchen sponge, smooth side for soft algae and then the scrubby side for tougher algae. A toothbrush is awesome for it as well!

6. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Let me be a bit more specific ... a good quality utility blade ... (and it is not always a price problem)

HuxwApydlo2D8iNVjNz7jz4hcB9Z9CrfHuegov3WBjWDvPZK_pEYPUetoFlDIhLC1DF9Tpq82RoM2x9XA=w2200-h1241-no.jpg

3 different blades ... I like the single edged type ... if I can not find that then an OK stanley blade - maybe, never the nasty real cheap blades.

EbwkMGWfwp_or228DgCXyVei1R5BEY2yFzDQcJVNt1UUDQOZbc81XbXOohuLVEAf654M6p2jrTeDzLxbw=w2200-h1241-no.jpg

Top is a cheap blade with a second edge ... look at all those possible scratches ... Stanley at the bottom better not great.

azWpNtG-zYxBy2nQxVKuP4mkIwFI4ARE9RdKHBvCFKzrkBfJRcY1_h3FFt3sQerJMImvoWFxO6qi5t2KA=w2200-h1241-no.jpg

Comparing the single grind blade with a stanley blade you can see why I like the cleaner edge.

Less issues with a credit card ;-)

later Ferdie

7. Christiaan Duvenage

Christiaan Duvenage Moderator

Loads of these on the marketimages (90).jpeg ...i have a few..awesome...ottos compliment them aswell

Nico Hamman likes this.
  8. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Utility blades are fine in small tanks. For larges tanks look at something like th
    I also have one. Works extremely well.

9. OP
    Razaaq

Razaaq

Thanks guys for the input. The credit card as suggested by f-fish worked really well. First time I didn't regret swiping my credit card lol

10. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

I am a bit over the magnet thing ..... so focused on not scratching the glass on the inside of the tank that typically after a few uses the outside gets scratched.

Later Ferdie

11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@f-fish, cut two pieces of thin batting and place between the magnet and the glass
    Works great for regular cleaning and doesnt allow scratches
    I guess with really stubborn algae you might still need the blade

12. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

ah - yes, that makes sense ... thanks @MariaS I will give that a go.

Later Ferdie

MariaS likes this.
  13. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Had a look at the bubble-magus mini - R 450 ... hmmm not sure hey.
    r8cxpnNvS7TZZH-UdK1HfJ8n4KyVAZb7eht7WZUZEfk_TWR2FWlqmPk2nxEUvj6UAY38VvmUXGALeY1X0UQ=w534-h301-no.jpg
    the smallest "cheap" is R100 and works Ok, but the magnets do not like the extra batting.

Ns0lmywpBDMrDkf984lwzloMNTN7G0zplg3cvJMxnuTypxClAXkDkI2nWV1n9YWx7mgH7BMjNkybx3vpQ=w2200-h1241-no.jpg

What if one started with R75 for two strong magnets ... how would you DIY a better Algae scrapper?

Later Ferdie

14. AmithS

AmithS

I think one consideration in the diy version would be some sort of handles you don't want to crack the glass if they are super strong and snap together hard ... just a thought

15. Ren

Ren

Old drivers license card...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

16. Pezulu

Pezulu

I have found that the magnetic types tend to pick up a grain of sand, and scour the glass deeply a couple of times before you realise it.
    The easiest way for me is a Stanley type window scraper, that accepts a standard Stanley knife blade.
    With care, they don't scratch the glass, unless you go out of your way to try and scratch it.
    I bought mine, together with a packet of 10 blades at Gelmar in Centurion, for R10.

Innocent159 likes this.
  17. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

So after playing with these magnets ... it is amazing to see how quickly what seems to be strong attraction helps very little when the glass gets thicker and the batting grips onto the algae. So DIY magnetic cleaner ... lets park that for a while.

100% Pezulu , think you talking about these ...

hhu302mZ3K7a-OzBApuiOiOZe84in6DVm-uEyiW11Szhj_h-nKdJhfvTS9xT2Bse4VBUFBIiD-PygbPg0Kw=w907-h512-no.jpg

it was actually this type that put me onto looking at the edge of the blades since surely it is not the handle that makes it better ;-)

[​IMG]

Nice thing about using this scraper is that you have less chance of hitting the silicone in the corners ... also easy to do a DIY handle extension.

Others have used minora blades - I have not but maybe worth a try since that edge is very clean and sharp.

Later Ferdie

18. Pezulu

Pezulu

That's the same type as I use.
    Just a few scrapes over the glass, and everything is nice and clean.
    I remove the blade after every cleaning session, and dry it, as they can rust quite easily if left wet.

19. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Yeah .. olive oil - light wipe if one really wants to "protect the blade" but mostly a good dry is all that is needed.

Been scraping for fun - and the results really does depend on the type of algae ... need to get a minora blade - keen to see how that performs.

Later Ferdie

20. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

@Razaaq - thanks for starting the thread ... without you prompting I would have never gone down this route. I think I can say that this has changed my plant keeping world for the better.

-fU8_nMpkAPWRihipXJ6GwisacedJSa9jTIqFaqUeQ8mNcuVR3y7GZj1FRMNuE4uKOFO-fMGQxP9uq_8A=w2243-h1265-no.jpg

YpEHLfMqmoDOSl9WgjUDFJ0RCdDpft5VL2jt7WPqyU8bepQRxpC1IWrojC-q8ajjg0q7NU7JKKpCD0kTg=w2243-h1265-no.jpg

Utility blades work well ..but even with the best clean / new blade you might get some streaks that you need to run a second time. Credit cards (like above) need equal pressure and a good edge or you get the downward hit and miss.

The cross clean no streaks scrape is the minora blade, wow (firstly they are sharp - do not cut yourself - your bad not mine, use at own risk) single push and runs smooth as butter.

-8PbD5CwRzbYeibRF-HQLE0ovDNyVJdLXDCiNs9tfNfXAH-FziIunrVUpUh9C1nt4Qh2Mk5YIoLTC2nRA=w2243-h1265-no.jpg

The above is my cleaning edge - nice re-use of the plant labels ;-)

klthtZAd5WjVf9SGz1f26YVqMRI_cIbodZ2AdqktH4QkbouI9-0l6r1yueLu9z8B7-Fflr8BpOYogOdYA=w2243-h1265-no.jpg
    and this the back --- two finger on the blade and it create a nice even pressure for the scrape.

Now that I know it works I will look at some of the other scrapers that use these blades and try my hand at a DIY.

Later Ferdie

Christiaan Duvenage likes this.
  21. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Mod 1 ... this should save some of your fingers

7YFQIhpF8njs7eTc2IaKYRmtbkI4KyCel10s_JLfKy_SiY3-FfXZBUFZazpR9bwByiMjlDpa4V5kJbWOw=w2243-h1265-no.jpg
    DIxF5m1GPlhsT23J5_S2boZB5g2e1TR15AqwLyhE53qWd0lGsJXuClDS6CEd6fkxyRK4eVW8RW3-D-GXw=w2243-h1265-no.jpg

Later Ferdie

Recent Posts