Rooibos tea and Angelfish fry

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by krg007, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Seann

Seann

i have to try this. my shrimp tanks are 15lt though. any suggestion on how much I should use.

2. Guest

3. Stalker

Stalker

1 tea bag will be fine. Only difference is your water is going to be darker

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

4. Seann

Seann

Should I leave in for a shorter period perhaps? If so will it still have the same effect if its in for only two or three days?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

5. Super Sywurm

Super Sywurm

On my first try, I left my bags in for just under a week. Big mistake. The bags deteriorate and you have a tank full of tea leaves. Just leave them in for 3 days or so.

6. Aqua man

Aqua man

I use rooibos in my tanks and it keeps algae at bay.

7. Stalker

Stalker

I just added 80 tea bags in my tank. My Gourami keeps on banging her head at the top bracing.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

8. Lanner

Lanner

I would like to dissagree with you on this since I tested it myself by using neutral water ph7 2 teabags in a litre of hot water let it steep till water is room temp and test again. PH went from 7 to 6.5 so it will in theory lower your ph and not raise it but in your aquarium you wont use 2 bags per litre more like one per 10 litre depending on the desired colour you want in my opinion the change in ph will be barely noticeable.
    I personally use 10 bags for 24 hrs in my 4ft tank and hardly register any change in ph although the colour of my water become a lovely golden brown.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

9. Drab808

Drab808

"Rooibos will stain your water a lovely tea color similar to using catappas (Indian Almond Leaves), peat or alder cones. However, unlike those things, rooiobos will not soften water nor lower pH. In fact, it will either leave pH alone or raise it by 0.10. However, it will provide all the benefits of using catappas or oak leaves."

https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40948

Just one of the sites saying this. Did you use a pH pen or liquid test kit to test your brew??

10. Drab808

Drab808

Also remember a lot of test kits say that they are not accurate when reading pH if the water has a low buffering which would be the case in a brew of tea bags

11. Lanner

Lanner

Ph pen as well as TDS pen tds wen up by 10 from 120 to 130 thats all

12. Lanner

Lanner

Wikipedia
    As a fresh leaf, rooibos has a high content of ascorbic acid (vitamin C).[5]

Rooibos tea does not contain caffeine[6] and has low tannin levels compared to black teaor green tea.[5] Rooibos contains polyphenols, including flavanols, flavones, flavanones, dihydrochalcones,[7][8] aspalathin[9] and nothofagin.[10]

The processed leaves and stems contain benzoic and cinnamic acids.[11]

13. Drab808

Drab808

1. Redbush Tea (rooibos tea): absolutely PACKED with antioxidants, this awesome tea is a great drink to have if you’re trying to transition away from coffee. It’s slightly bitter taste helps replace that bitter urge for coffee and black tea. It’s packed full of nutrients including calcium, manganese, zinc and magnesium – all powerful alkaline minerals.
    https://liveenergized.com/alkaline-diet-resources/alkaline-herbal-teas/

14. Lanner

Lanner

We can go back and forth quoting what the internet says I tested and the result was acidic, the brand of tea I used was Laager and I bought it at my local Pick and pay.
    Even if you beat me with a stick it wont change my test result, go try it for yourself and see.

15. Drab808

Drab808

I'm not trying to beat you mate. I am now extremely confused as up until now I have been under the impression rooibos either raised pH or did nothing to pH. I will however say that my pH pen is very inaccurate. I will go do a proper test now with some liquid test kits to get to the bottom of this. If it does indeed lower pH I will be using it a lot more in my shrimp tanks and such as I sit on liquid rock with my well water. And am reluctant to add anything that will raise pH, but if it lowers it I'm in

16. Lanner

Lanner

No point in argueing anyway the change is so small it doesnt matter if it goes up or down

17. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

@Lanner boiling water does lower pH, just to add to this conversation. Reddit has the full debrief lol.

So your experiment with your cup of delicious rooibos has another factor that wasn't considered. Maybe run another test?

18. Drab808

Drab808

So I just did the test quickly and it was very rudimentary. I added two teabags to boiling water and added this boiling water to my 100litre reservoir. I waited for it to mix and took a pH reading. The pH had no change according to the Sera test kit it stayed at a pH of 7.5. I tested the reservoir water before adding the rooibos.

It may be that I didn't add enough to make a significant change, but as @Lanner said regardless of whether it goes up or down, the change is probably not going to be significant enough to cause concern.

Lanner likes this.
  19. Drab808

Drab808

Doing a second test and I'm finding something very interesting with results so far. Will post my findings once completed.

20. Drab808

Drab808

Right so I basically did the test that @Lanner did and I did it using boiled water as well as using non boiled water.

For test 1 I boiled water and split it into two cups, one with two tea bags and the other with no tea bags. I then let it cool down to room temp and tested both cups. The cup without any rooibos I tested using liquid test and it read 8.5, i then calibrated the pH meter to this pH and tested the cup with rooibos and it tested at 6.5. That's a difference of 2 lower.

For test 2 I took two cups of non boiled water and added two tea bags to one of the cups. I again took a test of the cup without any rooibos and calibrated the pH meter to that pH then tested the rooibos cup with the pH meter. I got a reading of 7.3 without rooibos and 6.6 with rooibos. A difference of 0.7 lower.

From this I do believe that rooibos will lower pH and humbly apologize to @Lanner for doubting his results. However, now we can be more sure that these results are accurate and rule out the fact that boiled water may have dropped the pH as it was tested using both boiled and non boiled water.

21. Lanner

Lanner

No apology needed just dont believe everything you read on the internet next time

Drab808 likes this.

Recent Posts