Silent bends on plumbing

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jandre Frey, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Jandre Frey

Jandre Frey

hi all
    So I recently got my first sumped tank. A very basic back drilled drain with a weir built around it. It runs pretty quietly, except one part.
    So it turns out to be the drain plumbing, probably the elbows. It runs down the back of the tank and elbows into the sump. In total 3 elbows. It can be heard from the other room.
    Is there a way to reduce this noise as the tank is in my bedroom?

2. Guest

3. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

My sump basicly works on the same principle of the 3 bends. Tank drilled on back pannel and then piping behind the tank. The most noticed noise is from the water exiting the plumbing into the sump or maby I'm just used to the sound by now that it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. eros111

eros111

With a hole drilled in the back of the tank sadly there is no way of stopping the sound.

5. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

Cant you fill the wier with bio balls to cause an tricle through the bio balls the the sound should be less and if you add an ball valve to further control it will also help.

The sound is it more an air sucking(airlock) sound or just the water?

6. OP
    Jandre Frey

Jandre Frey

@Barry Roux
    I will try the bio balls thing and i already have a ball valve on it.
    The sound is just water flow, but with the elbows, it is pretty loud. Reducing the flow helps, but I dont want to take it further, then i my return is too fast. I have thought of using pool tubing, since it can have a more gradual bend

7. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

You can go kreepy piping it will help but the main thing normally is the airlock. Just add some eggcrate under the bio balls.

8. OP
    Jandre Frey

Jandre Frey

Today i added a ball valve the the drain and closed it partly. Once the water level in the weir lifted above the drain pipe, it was dead quiet. Issue was, it drained slower than the return, so if i left it, it would have flooded. Would there be another way to lift the level in the overflow, sponhe and media balls didn’t work.

9. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

You still have an airlock you can also try running silicone piping into the drain pipe to let the air out. How full did you fill with bio balls?

10. mjmza

mjmza

Best solution is a gate valve. They are much more precise than a ball valve. They are used in the marine hobby on the protein skimmers to adjust the water level inside the body. Only issue is finding one. A shop should be able to order you one from aquarium depot, but they are expensive and i have only seen ones for 40 and 50mm piping locally available.

This is what it looks like. You mount it upside down, red knob at the bottom in the sump.
    [​IMG]

11. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Is the water free falling into the sump or does the plumping drop the water into the sump but under the sumps water line...

I suspect a u bend in the sump ( think how your toilet works ) might help in suppressing the rushing sound, but you will need to experiment with this a bit.

Later Ferdie

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  12. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

13. OP
    Jandre Frey

Jandre Frey

@f-fish
    The plumbing is submerged in the sump

@mjmza
    Yeah, I’ve heard they are much better. But I still dont feel confident about restricting the drain amount, it could easily lead to flooding.

@Barry Roux
    The chamber is almost completely full. I don’t think it is an airlick as the pipes dont actually fill with water. The water level stays below the drain, so air always enters. I think thats the issue, but I dont know how to lift the water level in the weir.

I will create a youtube clip showing the issue, and link it later today.

14. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

You won't get an overflow system quiet, you will always hear a water rushing noise because the flow isn't laminar. If you restrict you flood. I would move the tank or get a good quality canister if I where you, problem solved.

15. OP
    Jandre Frey

Jandre Frey

@BoelderBeestie
    Starting to see that now.
    But only thing is, I have seen many near silent sump systems, so I figured I must be doing something wrong...

16. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

You don't want to go more than 45 degrees on the bends, that will quite it down a lot but there's a difference in a quite system in the lounge and one next to your head when you try an go to sleep. It's going to make you peepee the bed.:lol:

17. mjmza

mjmza

I ran the gate valve on my 1500L system for 4 years and it was silent when dialed in properly with a stable water level in the tank. Never had a single flood, maybe I was just lucky. The only noise I had from the tank was the internal flow pumps. And even with the tank losing power and coming back online it would go silent within 5 minutes or so.

18. OP
    Jandre Frey

Jandre Frey

@BoelderBeestie
    hahaha
    Yeah, thats probably true
    @mjmza ok, I’ll try one out and see if I’m lucky too. Thanks!

19. JDV

JDV

I did the below on my Marine tank a few years ago. Got the Idea from a dude on the sister site. Its a stand pipe with Toilet pipe vent drilled full of holes(can't remember what it was called "Soilvent" or something) with a airline in for the air to escape was very quite.

22032012(007).jpg

22032012.jpg

20. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

No water falling noise? Even a little?

21. JDV

JDV

Very little, the noise from my Fluval fx5 is now more than that was. The nice thing from this was no restriction on flow what so ever. Look at the sump you will see the water movement

Recent Posts