Slow release guppy food.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by lennard, Jan 14, 2017.

1. lennard

lennard

Slow release guppy food. My son is a keen angler and I got this idea from the boilies he use as bait. I have tried one of his bought boilies but they are dried out and very hard - even after a day they kept their hardness. The basic recipe is using the white and yellow of an egg, add your own dried ingredients(preferably not something too fine like flakes, but normal sugar grain size - I use ciclid food, koi food, bird food egg and other mixes, dog food or whatever I can get grind up and sifted to required sizes ) and mix until you get a dough that keep it shape(try keep the texture of the dried ingredients in tact). Roll into balls or sausages(cut to desired lengths). Then add the dough to cooking water and cook for 30-90 seconds depending on the size of the dough. Place on a cloth to dry off. Important then is to cut the balls or sausage bits in half - the outsides will be almost impenetrable - the fish will eat from the softer inside up to the outer skin. I use the balls in my outside ponds and the sausage bits inside. At this stage I did not get any fouling of my water in the tanks and the balls/sausages keeps for more than a day without any problems. The fish eats the whole day now and it will work well for holidays. The food is frozen and used as required. Nice info here: http://www.carpfever.co.za/basic-boilie-rolling-guide/

kos 4.jpg
    kos 3.jpg kos.jpg kos 5.jpg 20.jpg kos 7.jpg 19.jpg

Ortaega and f-fish like this.
  2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

A man with a plan, I like it !!!!

4. WindPomp

WindPomp

This looks like a good macguyver. Going to give it a go. Thanks for the share lennard!

5. JCL

JCL

What wire are you using to keep them down?
    Looks like copper ....:(

6. OP
    lennard

lennard

Thanks for the positive replies. This is working very well for me. Feeding the masses I have was wasting a lot of food because a lot sank to the bottom of the pond/containers.
    Important is that one will still have to monitor everything.

7. OP
    lennard

lennard

I use aluminum wire used for bonsai training. Copper can be toxic to fish and other water life.

Recent Posts