Starter 1.5Ft Tank Spec Advice

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by oupoot, Nov 19, 2020.

1. oupoot

oupoot

Hi Everyone

I am looking at starting a new planted tank and get back in to the hobby

What do you guys think of this hardware setup, any recommendations?

Double Sponge Water Filter quantity
    TNA Square Shrimp Net Telescopic (Black) quantity
    EHEIM precision aquarium heater - 50w quantity
    Mini USB Air Pump - Black quantity
    SOBO Super Silent Air Pump - 5W 6L/M quantity
    AIRLINE TUBING 4mm - per meter quantity
    Aquatic Salt 5kg quantity
    ADA Aqua Soil - Amazonia (9l) ver 2 quantity
    Moss Dome and Base (Black) 5cm quantity
    Zetlight Aqua ZA1201 Marine LED quantity
    [​IMG]
    Double Sponge Water Filter

[​IMG]
    TNA Square Shrimp Net Telescopic (Black)

[​IMG]
    EHEIM precision aquarium heater - 50w
    [​IMG]
    Mini USB Air Pump - Black

[​IMG]
    SOBO Super Silent Air Pump - 5W 6L/M

[​IMG]
    AIRLINE TUBING 4mm - per meter

[​IMG]
    Aquatic Salt 5kg

[​IMG]
    ADA Aqua Soil - Amazonia (9l) ver 2
    [​IMG]Moss Dome and Base (Black) 5cm

[​IMG]
    Zetlight Aqua ZA1201 Marine LED

[​IMG]
    1 1/2ft CANOPY (465mm x 235mm)

2. Guest

3. A new day

A new day Moderator

Yes yes yes to the Zetlight Aqua if budget allows :thumbup: just make sure to get the one for freshwater/ planted tanks (not marine) - they look identical at first glance.

4. OP
    oupoot

oupoot

Thanks for the feedback on the Zetlight, the Marine part made me wonder as well because its under tropical on the online shop...

Any other advice?

5. A new day

A new day Moderator

Eheim heaters apparently very good, 50W sounds good.

I’d probably use Langa rather than Amazonia V2 - cheaper and less of an issue with ammonia spikes etc. still Amazonia very very good.

Salt will hammer your plants...

What kind of shrimp would you like to keep? Neocaridinas (eg cherry shrimp) and amanos are easy to keep (just let the tank mature for at least a month before adding them), good shrimp starter. Caridina shrimp are a whole different rabbit hole though - water chemistry and mineral content very important here.

6. OP
    oupoot

oupoot

I am looking to keep something in the Neocaridina family of shrimp, not too sure which one yet

I also want to make a stainless steel lid instead of the usual plastic one to finish the top of the tank off, just waiting to get the total weight of the lid to make sure its not too hectic with weight.

I will go with Langa since you recommend it.

Any plant suggestions?

So far I would like Anubias and something to make a nice carpet with, but not sure what would work

A new day likes this.
  7. A new day

A new day Moderator

Anubias - yes especially smaller types eg nana petite and bonsai would be great for scale in that size tank. There is only 1 secret to anubias - they want shade. Very prone to algae in high light.
    Other easy epiphytes: bucephelandra (pricey though), mosses, bolbitis heudeloti (grows relatively large though).

Cryptocorynes (crypts), vallis nana (compact type of val), pearl weed, baby tears, limpnophilla sessiliflora are all easy and rewarding choices.

A carpet is best done with pressurised CO2 (ie high tech) and not something I’ve tried in low tech. However, eriocauron vietnam seems to work very well in my 38L (fake carpet). Dwarf hairgrass might work. I’ve also ordered a couple of the easier carpeting plants to give a go - monte carlo apparently one of the easier ones. Just know that a carpet in low tech is a gamble.

8. OP
    oupoot

oupoot

I see Pearl weed is used to carpet with as well, but im assuming thats for larger tanks, but i think Dwarf hairgrass may be worth a gamble, but then again what I use depends on what I can find at the petshops on the day... I am planning on getting everything in a one day trip, probably driving around between a few shops.

Would it be possible for me to avoid snails if I put plants in a separate tank and use snail kill and then wash them all of before I plant in the tank destined for Shrimps, or is there a better method to get rid of snails?

9. OP
    oupoot

oupoot

@A new day Aside from price, whats your thoughts on :

Zetlight Marine Space MS Series LED Light Freshwater Planted?

10. A new day

A new day Moderator

I have the previous version of it on my QT and it grows plants very well. It’s not elevated like the Aqua but if you’re going for an opaque lid / hood then it’s the better choice probably?

11. OP
    oupoot

oupoot

Or would you recommend the Lancia 2? I see on other threads it seems like a good light

12. A new day

A new day Moderator

Yes I think in that size tank pearl weed is perhaps better used in midground?

I’ve never used Snail Kill, sorry can’t help :) in fact I purposefully add snails to all my tanks (nerites, ramshorns and trumpets)

13. A new day

A new day Moderator

The Aqua gives better spread than the Lancia 2 and MS, that’s why I prefer it for rimless tanks. Used to have a Lancia 2 and it’s an excellent light that many others swear by, but sold in favour of another Aqua for 2 reasons
    - the Lancia gave poor spread, this improved with the addition of Zetlight perspex mounts but didn’t look as nice to me as the Aqua (plus not sure if this would work with a lid)
    - the wifi tech frustrated me plus had to reset / reprogam after every load shedding

14. OP
    oupoot

oupoot

To reprogram after each load shed is just going to be a pain, the Aqua is an old school manual switch I take it?

15. A new day

A new day Moderator

The Aquas come in the old school manual switch model (like mine) but it can be wifi operated too as optional extra

16. OP
    oupoot

oupoot

Silly Question... Why Langa and not Seachem Flourite as it seems to be a bit more soild for same price?

17. A new day

A new day Moderator

I hope others will chime in also but this thread / experiment by @f-fish is a super interesting read
    https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/comparing-substrates-please-help-with-a-protocol.14968/

Langa is in the same “family” of substrates as Amazonia but with less nutrients as far as I understand. Don’t think it was available at the time of experiment.

But many members use fluorite with great success. Think @rsa is one of them and @Pezulu too!

18. OP
    oupoot

oupoot

Wow that was an interesting read, thank you for the link, it was really worth the read and the results i find suprising

A new day likes this.
  19. rsa

rsa

I have used seachem flourite in one of my tanks for the last 4 years . It’s has its advantages and disadvantages. Advantages... it lasts forever , natural look and works well when dosing ferts. Disadvantages... more delicate plants like mc will not carpet as easily since it’s quite coarse. Amazonia and the like are best for carpeting plants. Personally I now find based on previous experience Amazonia and similar is the best for planted setups .

A new day likes this.
  20. Cale24

Cale24

Good points made here. I've not seen 45cm strip Zetlights, but for that size would also suggest the Aqua - used one previously and it's a nice product.
    If you'll perhaps add a CO2 system in future, then you'd maybe need something more powerful, but as a starting point I'd not think that far. You can sell and replace quite easily.

Key elements to a planted tank are substrate and lighting, details on the rest are less an issue. If using an inert substrate like Flourite, fertilisers and/ or root tabs will take care of plant needs.
    Langa I think sells in 5kg bags, which should be perfect for a 45cm tank (ADA Amazonia bags are 9l/kg and designed to accommodate with 60cm tanks, as a means of measure).
    Sponge filters work well, especially for shrimp, but are a slight eyesore if your intent is a beautiful scape. I tend to suggest an Aquaclear 20/ 30 hang on back for this size. Add a black background and they blend in pretty well.
    On larger tanks their circulation isn't great though, unless mounted on the tank sides.

USB air pumps are great but not a critical purchase - I fire mine up during load-shedding or anytime I have fish in a bucket for a while.
    As was mentioned previously, I'd consider a rimless setup - the canopies we get in SA aren't the sharpest looking.
    Maybe look into getting a 60cm/ 2 foot tank as the costs are similar?

Good luck and hope to see things progress well.

A new day likes this.
  21. Nirvashen

Nirvashen

Hi, i am running a 45cm caridina shrimp tank , with regards for the light i would recommend https://rebelpets.co.za/shop/all-pr.../super-white-crystal-led-light-w-clamp-400mm/, it works really well not very expensive and if not much brighter than most of the similar "brand name lights" and will give you good plant growth, even if you run co2 this light intensity is good. and me being a seachem fan boy i would use seachem fluorite black sand https://mcmerwe.co.za/shop/seachem-flourite-black-sand-3-5kg/ with some root tabs, see a pic below of my setup running the light on my 45cm with normal seachem fluorite mixed with the fluorite sand.

20201101_084315.jpg

Cale24 and A new day like this.

Recent Posts