Starter Tank

Discussion in 'Full tank shots' started by Duke of Hazard, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Duke of Hazard

Duke of Hazard

I bought this tank kit from builders express 1 week ago yesterday... then before I knew ot the bug had bitten. And about R700 extra on heater, some pebbles, 7 neons (1 got out), a bunch of genuine fake plants to calm them down a bit, a light, a thermo, a better airstone, another bottle of aquasafe and some food this resulted.

And it's now far from over... Tomorrow looking at getting a Betta and a shrimp if possible, 2 new buckets and a gravel cleaner siphon tube thingy to clean the gravel and water change (Due tomorrow)

All in all I'm looking to get 10 to 12 fishies at 2 per week or so including the shrimp.

If I can prove to myself that I can properly maintain it and keep it looking good I have plans for a 3 or 4 footer at a later stage and to use the starter either as a small decorative or a breeder tank.

Pic attached.

IMG-20140824-WA0000.jpg

2. Guest

3. OP
    Duke of Hazard

Duke of Hazard

I must note the water is alot clearer now, this was the same day I put the plastic plants in.

4. Dinky

Dinky

@Duke of Hazard - Welcome! Since your tank is really very new and should actually still be in the cycling process but you already have fish in there, I would suggest that you do daily changes of at least 20% of the water to keep your fish from dying.

If possible, please do not add any more fish at this stage. First give your tank time to cycle. I would say at least another 3 weeks.

Hope this article / thread below will help. I was not aware that a tank had to cycle when I first started out. I killed a lot of fish and kept replacing them with new ones that also just ended up dying. It brought a lot of heartache, cost me a bunch of money and almost had me giving up on the hobby until I found the forum.

Nitrogen Cycle for Aquariums / How NOT to kill all your fish with your first tank

Hth - Enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. OP
    Duke of Hazard

Duke of Hazard

Thank you for the heads up.

I'm taking this advice and will wait, water changes will start tomorrow once I have the tools I need.

Do you think a test kit is needed? Which one and any idea on a price?

6. dash

dash

Hi and welcome. Invest in some seachem prime and seachem stability.

Prime is one of the best water conditioners on the market today and, stability will cycle your tank.

Check Seachem for more info.

7. Sean_83

Sean_83

Try stay away from the test strips and I am not happy with the tetra test kits I bought, try get red sea or serra, get an ammonia for now and then you will need a nitrite and nitrate, otherwise you can get your water tested at your LPS

8. Caudelia

Caudelia

Hi and welcome

9. OP
    Duke of Hazard

Duke of Hazard

Ended up spending another R300 today amd walked out with a proper submersible pump filter, have shoved some of my old carbon and a tiny piece of media in it but I felt it was not enough so I stuck the old box filter in for the gogos as I call them to be able to spread onto the new filter media, I'm guessing a week is enough?

Got a nifty little gravel siphon pipe with a built in scraper at LPS was cheap too and did the first water change which went onto about 50%.

Have also realised I have been overfeeding by the amount of mouldy hairy food that started floating when I started vacuuming.

10. rednox

rednox CA Cichlids

+1 really amazing products

11. Fishlips

Fishlips

no, a week wont be enuf adud, atleast 6 weeks, and that is if the filter is cycled...

Get prime and stability.

its expensive but it will save you money on fish

12. Fishlips

Fishlips

sh!t never saw the dates.... oi

Recent Posts