Stuff that happened to you today but isn't worth a thread

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic chat' started by Swagasaurus, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Ouch! That kinda sucks, maybe a different dye will work

2. Guest

3. Figeth

Figeth

Trying it again this morning with undiluted dye.

4. necris

necris

just paid R300 for 100g of purigen and havent felt this ripped off in ages, and its all my doing...was the yellow water really worth 300:lol::lol::lol::lol:

A new day likes this.
  5. Logz

Logz

I did that once... lets just say ginger wasn't a good look on me, especially the glow in the dark kind hahaha

6. A new day

A new day

Well, apparently you can use that stuff over and over again by bleaching it when necessary. So yep, probably worth it- I’d pay R300 to not have to look at yellow water for years to come :) unless of course it’s specifically a blackwater tank.

And what I’ve seen so far in this hobby is that it can actually be more expensive to try & buy several cheap solutions before biting the bullet and buying the right thing. Case in point is Stability- I reckon everything else is close to a waste of money. Actually most of Seachem’s products are totally worth it, coming to think of it.

I started with a cheap Daro ‘comprehensive’ tank kit and the only thing I still use is the actual tank, the rest turned out to be pretty useless and had to be replaced. Bought 2 cheap lights that didn’t work for me before actually buying a proper light etc etc. Had I started with proper stuff it would’ve worked out cheaper.

Of course there are many examples of cheap fixes that totally work and disproves the point above.

Let us know how the purigen does. I’m currently only using a bit of activated carbon to polish and de-colour the water in the tanks with spiderwood, plus in the 180L filter floss. Works fine. But at some point had mopane wood in my first tank, which stained the water a lot more than spiderwood does.

Logz likes this.
  7. Pezulu

Pezulu Moderator Comp Coordinator

I am currently recharging 5 x 100g Seachem Purigen.
    They are all in my Cascade HOB filters in the shrimp tanks.
    I have been using some of them for about 5 years now, while the newest is having its first recharge.

One thing I dislike about the Purigen sachets is that they changed the design.
    The bags are quite a bit longer than the previous bags, and don't fit into the impeller chamber as easily as the older bags.

A new day, necris and Logz like this.
  8. Figeth

Figeth

It worked very slightly...

Logz likes this.
  9. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Are you bleaching your hair first and then dying?

10. Logz

Logz

Definitely true. I started out with good old carbon, bought a big bag and just kept swapping it out. Now though I run a 100g bag of Purigen with about 50g of carbon in my mix and match with filter wool and all that, and it works a charm. I also find that having the little bit of carbon helps extend the time the Purigen needs before a recharge, because I found that very time consuming (I have no patience...) and it also means I have a little more cycled media in the filter for when I do have to recharge, because that obviously kill everything....

That said though, like Pezulu said, the new bags aren't a great shape... I ended up getting hold of a new bag, and transferring the Purigen into that instead. I find the softer mesh of the new bag is also more pliable to fit it into my filter.

A new day likes this.
  11. Logz

Logz

Haha, when in doubt go have it done properly, getting mine fixed (a day before Plett rage all those years ago) was a lot more expensive than having it done properly once in the first place:lol:

12. Staffy

Staffy

This happened this morning and was pretty funny
    One of my chicken hens started to lay eggs in an open nest. And this morning when she got up to drink water and eat I saw a Ring-Necked pigeon eyeing her egg. It went over and almost looked like it was trying to tuck it under him. He jumped on it and fell a couple times till he perfectly balanced on top of it and covered a quarter of it like he was trying to keep it warm lol. Then the hen came back and chased him off. I never khew a pigeon would care about such a huge egg

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  13. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Is the pigeon alone?
    Perhaps it needs a partner :oops:

14. Staffy

Staffy

Their were other pigeons but they were in couples. I think the little guy is trying to show he can be a good dad. Poor thing

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  15. Figeth

Figeth

That's adorable!

16. necris

necris

i saw a pretty decent improvement in a few hours after adding just the sachet to my filter, will do a full filter clean, rinse the purigen for the hell of it and let the cascade work its magic with some fresh batting and clean sponges
    The murkiness was my messing with the filter and dumping dirty water in the top by not fully emptying to pump housing.
    Now to get that algae under control next
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    A new day likes this.
  17. Halfway2

Halfway2

Pulled out a dusty canister filter that has been laying unused for years and may just hook it up to my system if its not too big

A new day likes this.
  18. Logz

Logz

So as we all know Eishkom is still fighting us in our dear country. And so as the "clever, environmentally conscious" person, I had a full off-the-grid system installed at home to help out with things. All went great until about a month back when my full inverter system blew - this meant not only did I get full on loadshedding again, but I was basically without power most of the time. Eventually thing got "fixed" about two weeks back, but a genius who was by a long shot no electrician. As a result, half of my DB blew meaning I had power with no way to power the house.

Skip ahead to yesterday - "actual" electricians turned up. Tore apart my whole house and rewired basically the entire place (the original people screwed up badly when it was done 3 years back). After 9 straight hours, they promised me it was working and off they trotted into the sunset. Now, the fun... Sitting, enjoying a bit of Netflix with my feet up, I hear a subtle click... and boom. Darkness. Imagine the excitement on my face just as the action starts on screen.

Now my mind starts racing - I made a plan for my wee little friends in the tank during the day, but had to return the UPS so was now in a pickle. Fortunately, I isolated the issue and ran a million and one extension cords around the house to power the necessities so all was saved. But, now comes the next bit of fun... Another day with no power while the power monkeys work on everything and this time no UPS to save the day... So lets do this....

Sorry, needed a rant to people who know the stakes of what all this is instead of people who think no wifi is worse than Armageddon….

T. Guppy likes this.
  19. A new day

A new day

Oi:(

20. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Yew... thats not good.. sorry to hear and hope it gets fixed once and for all

We have been running generator for nearly 2 years and have been contemplating the solar option but there are so many companies all of a sudden!!
    Lot of money if it doesn't work

Logz likes this.
  21. Halfway2

Halfway2

I found a piece of driftwood that I had used in my cichlid tank years ago. Soaking it for a few days and adding it to my tank.

A new day likes this.

Recent Posts