Tank position with periodic sunlight ...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by rsa, Jul 21, 2021.

1. rsa

rsa

Hi All. So i recently moved my 4ft to a new position . The tank is still empty . So the tank gets direct sunlight for an hour in the morning 8-9 and about an hour during the late afternoon 4-5 .

Does anyone here have a setup that receives direct sunlight similiar to this ? What tips can you recommend ? eg tank lighting off during this time ?

I plan to run a medium lighting setup 6 hours a day . Tank will be medium to heavily planted .

Thanks in advance !

2. Guest

3. fux940510

fux940510

It's going to be difficult to control your lighting schedule with those time periods - that totals up to about 9 hours a day. The sunlight will be less intense, but will still be enough to get photosynthesis going. Maybe a siesta period around midday, and have your lights on for 3 hours each period and centered on when the tank gets sunlight? Also, is that the sunlight it gets all year or only now during winter? I'm guessing it's going to have CO2 injection too, so you might need to fiddle with the timing of that too to get everything lined up correctly.

I had a low-tech tank once that got about 6 hours of direct sunlight, along with a Zetlight strip light for about 8 hours (1 hour before and after sunlight exposure) - everything grew like a bomb, unfortunately algae included. The only time i managed to get h. pinnatifida to grow was in that tank

Looking forward to some pics!

4. OP
    rsa

rsa

The sunlight will differ in summer ,not sure by how much yet .A siesta could work ,yes it will have C02 injection. Would a uv sterlizer maybe work ?

5. fux940510

fux940510

I have no experience with them i'm afraid. It might help with any algae spores that are floating around, but anything stuck on a surface will be unaffected. I think you'll have to be super careful with nutrient levels - a lean dosing approach might be better for algae control than EI dosing.

6. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

My gut's telling me that you shouldn't have a problem with only those 1hr sunlight sessions, but I'd recommend that you use digital timers to adjust your lights accordingly (I think the timers should be able to, but can be wrong).

Just trial & error it....the light might be good for your tank too.

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

A new day likes this.
  7. OP
    rsa

rsa

Thanks @Lord Vader . The tank was completely automated . I want to see how the suns positioning will change in summer . I asuume that the sunlight would be less intense in winter as opposed to summer . Is this correct with regards to
    the tank ?

Lord Vader and fux940510 like this.
  8. fux940510

fux940510

Yup - Same amount of light but spread over a larger area in winter, so it isn't as intense

Recent Posts