Tank Setup Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General Equipment discussion' started by Keeganjvv, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv Member

Hi guys.

I have been trolling around here and scoured the internet for the last week and finally decided to ask for some advice and guidelines from enthusiasts and not just a salesman.

I want to get a new tank. I currently have two options: Either a 4 foot 340L, or a 5 foot 300L with a sump.

I plan to do a community tank with some hardy, easy to manage plants.

First piece of advice required is what tank would be better suited? IMO it is much of a muchness, but I like the idea of the sump which puts most hardware out of sight. Or is it better to run a cannister filter on the 4 foot? Any other sizes you would recommend as I dont intend upgrading soon?

Secondly, what hardware would be required or preferred/ suggested i.e heaters, filter, pumps etc. as well as estimated pricing?

Any advice and suggestions, or articles on hardscaping and fish stocking will be highly appreciated, as I am still not 100% sure of which direction I want to take. I want to be completely sure as surely this should be concidered for hardware required?

Current fish interests include:
    Kuhli Loaches
    Clown Loaches
    Zebra Loaches
    Flourescent Danio an Tetras
    Denison Barb
    Also wondering about snails and shrimp?
    Suggestions welcome.

Sorry that I sound like a rambling idiot with all the questions, but I am trying to consume as much info as possible before making impulsive decisions

I am in no rush to finish this project as budget, unfortunately, does not allow free reign. I want to buy right and not regret later, but, wherever possible without breaking the bank

All input however miniscule would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a mil

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish Well Known Member

The taller the harder it is to get light to the substrate for carpet growth.

Only size advice - go as big as you can for as many tanks as you can.
    Do not under estimate starting with some propagation tanks ... nothing worst having to scavenge for plants for 2 years because your BIG tank is too big to scape.
    MTS is part of the game - embrace it!!

Later Ferdie

Keeganjvv likes this.
  4. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

True what @f-fish said but I will go with th 5ft with a 4ft sump. Now you have 600L to play with, way more stable in the long run.

Return pump of minimum 3000L/h should do the job. 300W heater will be able to hold the tank at 24. Buy the best quality you can afford or have to save up for. This is a long term comitment so get the best from the start. You don't want to start and struggle. Almost forgot you will also need sirculation pumps, 2 will work, to make sure that you don't have any dead spots in the tank for detritus to accumulate.

I will always suggest Rainbows as stocking fish. Don't just look at the dull juviniles you see at the lfs. They are slow growers and will mature in awesome fish. Remember that the Clown loaches will outgrow even a 5ft at some stage but once again they do grow slow so you will be fine for about 10 years. Shrimp is a 50/50 as all fish will eat them unfortunately and should rather be kept in a spesies only tank.
    Hardy easy plants are in abundance. You can look at Crypts, Anubias, Ferns, Buce and vallis. Substrate doesn't need to be special for these plants. Plain dirted tank with pfs as cap can work good and won't break the bank.

Keeganjvv likes this.
  5. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv Member

For what it is worth I went with the 4 foot. Turns out it has a lot less volume. Works out to about 250litres. I have also acquired an old 3 foot tank which I want to convert to a sump. I want to semi plant the tank without CO2 (inputs would be appreciated) and I am going to try wing it with DIY LED lighting.

How would you suggest I set up the sump? I was thinking 1Sponge filter then Filter Floss, 2Carbon, 3 Bio Media( was looking at K1 with airstones?), 4 Heaters and pump. Would this setup work?

6. f-fish

f-fish Well Known Member

That is allot of filtration ... well for a semi planted tank. What fish are you planning to keep?
    Loads of your plants can go without CO2 they just grow slowly ... as an example .. all 3 below are CO2 free at that the moment meaning they have not seen CO2 for many many many months - well ever since the last rescape.

upload_2017-10-3_0-43-38.png

upload_2017-10-3_0-44-10.png

upload_2017-10-3_0-47-56.png

Later Ferdie

Dinky and MariaS like this.
  7. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv Member

That looks really good. Are those LED floodlights?

I want to have a community tank and stock it as much as I can, hence why I want to filtrate as much as possible. What is your take on algae scrubbers in a planted tank?

Thanks a mil

8. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Lots that can be done on a 4ft, here's mine with no co2 but I would like some. Algae scrubbers may eat the plant nutrients...
    IMG_6250.JPG

Don't go overboard on stock, take it slowly because planted tanks are niced when they aren't packed to the gills with fish

f-fish and Keeganjvv like this.
  9. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv Member

Thanks Hendre. What plant do you have in there?

10. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

A whole bunch. Anubias, moss, vallisneria, cryptocorynes and bolbitis. That's the most of it

11. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv Member

Back to the drawing board. Wanted to use a sideboard as a stand but the sump doesnt fit...

Has anyone had success running a 4 foot and a small 1 and a half foot off the same sump below one another? 4 foot on top, 1 and a half foot in the middle and sump at the bottom.

Want to make the small one a planted shrimp tank.

Please excuse the drawings as it was literally just quickly made laying flat on the bed

Also thinking to put the sump and second tank on a drawer type system for easy maintenance. Small tank sliding to the front and sump sliding out the side.

I also have two left hands and six thumbs, so will not be attempting this myself, but will get someone skilful to assist in the actual build.

Thanks in advance880e651a848b9ba279e9cf1b131ac1a4.jpg

12. Drab808

Drab808 Active Member

Hi there Keegan.

I personally would not suggest joining the shrimp tank to the sump as well and would suggest you run the 4 foot on the sump alone and the shrimp tank with a simple HOB filter. Doing what you want is possible but it can get messy quickly and you need to ensure its perfectly set up to avoid spills.

Another reason to not join the two is that shrimp are sensitive to things which fish may not be sensitive to, so you might be limited to adding fertilizer etc to your setup for plants because the shrimps may not handle the nutrient levels too well.

My advice is keep the two separate. Will be following along though to see how it all turns out!!

Best of luck

MariaS and Keeganjvv like this.
  13. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv Member

Thank you. All input is greatly appreciated.

Will update as I progress... Slowly but Surely

14. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I agree with @Drab808 .... not a good idea to run more than one tank off the same filter

Whatever you add to the one, will go to the other also if by any chance you pick up disease in one, it will spread to the other tank

Not worth the risk...

Drab808 likes this.
  15. f-fish

f-fish Well Known Member

Run the 3 tanks separate ... scrap the sump idea until you either need it or by that time you might have found a canister to scratch that itch.

Later Ferdie

16. RudiSin

RudiSin Active Member

Thats huge!!!! I have a 50gal with 4 Discus in and shrimp..... why so big?

17. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv Member

The tank or the sump?

18. f-fish

f-fish Well Known Member

Your tank will never be too big ... you might need scuba gear to get to the algae but one makes a plan.

19. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

IMG00721-20101019-1023.jpg

20. f-fish

f-fish Well Known Member

This your holiday job Hendre ?

21. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

I wish!

Recent Posts