Tank Setup Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General Equipment discussion' started by Keeganjvv, Jul 24, 2017.

1. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv

Thanks a mil. How ofter should I dose Flourish to start with?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

Tank looks very good. Love the placement and look of the wood.

Dose flourish as instructed on the lable. No need to do higher doses as that will just lead to algae problems later.

Keeganjvv likes this.
  4. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak Comp Coordinator

Flourish is mainly micronutrients, so overdosing won't cause inherent algae spikes. Just go by label and smooth sailing :)

5. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv

Dosing daily seems like a really expensive exercise though.

6. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Somewhere you need to slow down ... plants and fish take time to adapt to every change you make. If you are going with commercial fetz and other products then try and stick to the same brand. That way you can read the single source of truth, i.e. the supplier on what can work with what and how much you need.

Nothing in your tanks seems like a supper fast grower ... so adapt your expectations to the plants abilities. This might also mean that the fertz requirement of the plants are way less than what the label says.

Later Ferdie

Hendre likes this.
  7. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak Comp Coordinator

Is it excel?

8. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv

It is the advance... Please tell me I didnt just waste my money. Whats the difference?

9. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv

I only have Java Fern, Java Moss, Amazon sword, Anubias (not sure of the variant), dwarf hair grass and some other form of grass which name I dont remember

10. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Correct .. and the dwarf hair grass will probably not make it .. it is just that type of plant, for some it works well most - well I blame the cultivation process.

As for the rest in your tank .. give them some time to adapt to the tank - at the best of times be pleased with a leaf maybe every 3 weeks. Most of all - you have a low maintenance tank, so focus on that - nothing in your tank will need weekly trims. A small WC every week sure - but BIG fertz .. hmmm I am not convinced. So start slowly.

Later Ferdie

Hendre and Keeganjvv like this.
  11. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Keeganjvv likes this.
  12. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv

Thanks Ferdi.

I am very new to this, so all help is appreciated. I have spaced out quite a few of those Ferrotabs around the hairgrass, the Sword and the Anubias.

Also from what I've read (just now) is that the Flourish Advance helps with the roots and stems. Really hoping it will stick and pull through.

I dont mind planting more to fill up, but I am hoping to get a bit of growth lengtwise from the Amazon and Anubias to get better background coverage.

Thanks again for everyone's input. It is really appreciated.

Pierré Schoonraad likes this.
  13. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv

Any ideas of what this is thats growing in the plants?

Pics were taken before removing pots2c89cad170321a604ebf000ccb7d3713.jpg1280c58c5690a9032473784cd405a8e3.jpg00ea16611ffd9253228607d7b9775d72.jpg

14. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

If it is not dead algae then probably a fungus of sorts. if the later then it might be a waiting game if you keep the WC's up and brush this stuff of the plants before the WC. I will not want to try and treat this chemically without a clear idea of why it is in the tank in the first place.

Later Ferdie

Keeganjvv likes this.
  15. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv

You were right about the hair grass... All of them died...

Thanks to Purigen the water is chrystal clear but that algae/fungus has overtaken my wood completely.

Tomorrow is clean up day! Do I take out the wood and brush it with a toothbrush or what do I do?

I just dont want my fish to be too stressed when I take out their hiding spots.

BTW, I have added Kuhlis again.... Not one dead! Yippee! Also added 3 GBR's and a school of Cardinals, majority have not made it... I think this might have been stress related or I am suspecting either the glass fish or the Yoyo's have torn into them...
    8293cf2b06b9fbced9aa2a9432cd3871.jpg

16. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv

Would also like to add some more substrate during cleaning etc tomorrow. Would it be possible to do so whilst I take out the wood?

17. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv

2 Days after water chamge and scrubbing the algae/fungus off the driftwood. Also added some more sand daef001f93aced701f0d75a915e925fa.jpg

18. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv

So the algae and the biofilm returned. Decided im going to add some Siamese Algae eaters. They are doing an awesome job! Anyone have experience with the amount they poop? There is an excessive amount of poop all over since they have been in. Is this because they have such an abundance of food and will it ever lessen? I cleaned the sand this morning and this is what it looks like now. Thinking of adding more current so the filters will pick it uo better. But that is an exxessive amount of waste4c37e7e6a97f3dce6db6012588551dfd.jpg

19. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Keeganjvv last i had siamese algae eater was probably 20 years ago but i dont remember having that much poop...

Is it not maybe a combination of poop and all the stuff coming loose from the wood?
    I would take that piece of wood out, give it a good scrub and then put it back
    Then they can control any future growth as it comes and not have to cope with everything that is there now... just a thought

Extra current always helps lift the dirt which will help

Keeganjvv likes this.
  20. ESP

ESP

Where did you get the wood from? It might be inappropriate for submersion or too green. I tried Rooikrans from a packet of braai wood with similar results before.

21. OP
    Keeganjvv

Keeganjvv

Its actually grapevine. It does not seem to be the wood. There was an excessive amount of algae and I think the alhae eaters just pigged out. The algae is almost completely gone. Will monitor it a bit once the food source dies down. Chamged the canister output to increase the flow. Holding thumbs

Recent Posts