The one that u always wanted

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Naathir, Jul 6, 2015.

1. H3os

H3os Active Member

Beautiful fish!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jwh

Jwh Active Member

Red tail gold arowana
    polypterus bichir bichir

4. zaahier

zaahier Member

Hi....

One of the fish I have been looking for, I finally managed to get hold of a supplier that is able to arrange this for me……
    In comparison to prices and stories I've been told from many other people...this supplier by far is the cheapest...and I've ordered through him before so his reliable.

Also @Lizid and @JAX....I must agree with JAX... if you want something nice you must fork out the Cash"Moola"...but to an extend...when these fish gets harvest from the wild in some cases such as Cardinals tetra's for example in upper Orinoco and Negro Rivers and caught by villages... once a month or week a ship comes around and trades can food and so forth for 1000’s of them at a time nowhere close to the price they going to be sold for on the market...however this is not always the case...so yes I must say price increase is a must for things like inflation and so forth...however to a certain extend as some people use inflation as the sole reason and justification for charging high prices.

ANY WAYS - I love fish in general....so my dream fish that I would like to add to this discussion is a Fei Fang AKA flag tail fish....really looking for this BAD boy. And despite what I said above I’ll pay for him...thus me agreeing with JAX....also another way us fish lovers gets taken advantage of....

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  5. zaahier

zaahier Member

@Nathier,

Where about in Cape Town are you from....your surely got your hands on some lovely fish there buddy...well done ...i take it they still young? Whats your ratios like?

6. jabula 7749

jabula 7749 jabula

Ive been wanting begging waiting forAltums!
    That is the only fish I still want!

7. Naathir

Naathir Active Member

Salaam zahier, from goodwood area, the tricoti are still young yes the ration is 4 to 9 at the moment. I am planning to breed if all goes well

8. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@zaahier, one of my two babies

I know who can get you one but in Gauteng, I waited about 5months but we got 2.he might ship, but not sure.
    If you interested, pm me

dddfd 554.jpg

dddfd 639.jpg

dddfd 588.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

My dream.... a pair of lemon Oscars....

10. Lizid

Lizid Active Member

@zaahier, if inflation is the reason then all fish should have increased at the same rate, also unlike the Zebra pleco they are not hard to breed in captivity... this is a case of greed and I think this is why our hobby is not growing as much as we would like to see...

11. Ebrahim

Ebrahim Active Member

inflation can be one reason.... first let me say that theprofit margin is not very big in fish breeding.... when it comes to import thefish your $5 fish that was R45 a few months ago is now R60 and so you cancalculate the transport fee, agent fee, handling fee, packaging and all thatgoes with importing fish. In winter you have to look at your electricity billand so we can dig out all the other things.....

P.S. I find people complain about fish prices while you look at the R800 to R2000shoes they wear. We have no problem on spending for something we like....make me sometimes wonder why we keep fish. (Myself included)

12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I guess we side tracking this thread a bit from our dream fish to finances and profits but.. Agree with @Ebrahim 100%
    Most people think that there is a lot of profit in breeding be it what may.... yet they have no idea( to do things right and not just supply public with inferior quality) of the cost versus the profit,if you lucky....
    The purchase and cost of raising the adults, with fish... until you lucky to get a breeding pair... keeping them in top form, medications, food, etc
    Raising the fry to selling size
    We wont mention the time, heartache, drawbacks and losses of stock that often strike...

As for the imports.... try shipping from Gauteng to Cape Town.. thats just plain shipping with no import costs... R400.00 for box and transport?

Look at the newspaper classifieds and people pay R1000.00 rand plus for a cat or puppy of mixed breed and no innoculations etc...

13. Ebrahim

Ebrahim Active Member

oh ya i forgot aboout this tropheus i really whant Tropheus moorii Nkondi
    [​IMG]

its protected though like the ilangi but i got my hands on f1 ilangi and ill sell my ilangi anytime to buy nkondi.

nkondi.jpg

14. Lizid

Lizid Active Member

Ebrahim, I don't wear expensive shoes, because I go through them quickly, We are not talking inflation or rand dollar exchange... or transport, my point is that if this "effect" has happened why then are discus in the stores, only around up in price a bit as well as the neons or other bristol noses, this is around up but a much greater percentage then the rest...

15. Ebrahim

Ebrahim Active Member

lol... im sure you not wearing expensive shoes.... im with you but eish what can i say... i guess if we whant it have to save up, after all this fish is the fish you always whanted.

16. lep2soma

lep2soma Active Member

@Naathir:
    I take my hat off to you, bro:
    Back in April 2012 you spotted a fish that you fancied, didn't quite know how to say it's name, and made inquiries about it, and to be honest, it seemed like nobody took you seriously...
    But today, you may be the only one in the country that stands a good chance of breeding them. I have to admire that type of persistence in a fishkeeper!
    Good luck to you, may your 'tricoli' go forth and multiply!

Please begin a thread called Benthochromis tricoti , and log their progress for us?
    Any experience you gain, and observations you make, will be much appreciated by fellow tang enthusiasts in our land.

17. lep2soma

lep2soma Active Member

btw the one I've always wanted, is the Pinstripe Damba, a Cichlid from Madagascar.

18. Naathir

Naathir Active Member

@lep2soma lmao you remembered that, I will go back to that thread and update it

19. Naathir

Naathir Active Member

I was going to get ilangi ,but was told its protected to no go for me, looking for another option tropheus but looking for colour except red rainbow, was thinking of sunspot

20. zaahier

zaahier Member

updates....have they settled in Naathir? any more images...Good luck

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  21. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I had a pair of Chocolate Cichlids - Hypselecara temporalis a few years ago. But got rid of them when I got my Discus

I want them again, now that I no longer have Discus. But can't find them anywhere. :cry:

Lovely fish to keep. Gentle Giants.