thinking of starting another betta tank

Discussion in 'Species Tanks' started by windfire, Jan 13, 2011.

1. windfire

windfire

joburg and pretoria. i cant travel to pta everyday
    hey folks so im now officially moving back into the the commune which means more space for tanks so mts has me looking at 3 options. 1. fix the 3ft i have in my garage sand the stand and set it up with a small soroity and maybe a male in a paludrium type setup. 2. fix the 2ft use a desk to put it on and keep a halfmoon or doubletail male. 3. start up a nano which would require me to buy another tank also with a male.

hmmm getting greedy now and envisoning dividing the 3ft in 3 compartments for males and having a nano on my desk lol. anyway common sense says the nano or the 2ft would be better, i can still squeeze them into my room but not the 3ft even though i would love to play around with a paludrium.so what you guys think? i keep changing my mind, and i know i'm not going to be popular with my folks or my boyfriend as i been accused of being obsessed with my fish:blink1:. right now i'm thinking nano would be cool, some hm and hc and some major hardscaping but i know they harder to look after. then again if i use the 2ft i have a lil bit more space to work with and can look at adding some pygmy cories or khulis as clean up crew. i wish i could take my currant betta setup with me but im worried about moving it, i dont want to destroy the progress that we've made in the last month with it, its really growing well now and the other problem is if the gravel is disturbed too much the peat floats to the surface and i've only just got rid of the last of it from the bit of replanting i did towards the end of last year. so theres my dilemma lol any thoughts on it, bearing in mind that i am betta obsessed at the moment and have dreams of a hunter green halfmoon male.

2. Guest

3. azurekoi

azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

G'luck B - deciding between these 3 options will be difficult,but you know what I would do...2foot paludarium with the poly hardscape rising out of the tank(to increase water depth in tank) could be WAY COOL... pendant lighting or even easier and cheaper, a simple anglepoise desk lamp with a good CFL should do the trick as far as lighting is concerned...

Will help you out with some spare bromeliads for the land part that I have if you will collect...

You can have the water depth at like 22 to 25 cm ish(40 - 45 liters) and have the terrestrial plants "spill over" the sides of the tank... small waterfall tumbling down the raised back wall..

hope I didnt put to many buzzing bees in your head...lol

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  4. Vis

Vis Gerhard

5. TankMaster

TankMaster Apistogramma

The prophet speaks!!!

6. azurekoi

@Vis ... Yours? and here I thought I had the only paludarium on here...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. Vis

Vis Gerhard

No not mine, just one I came across for ideas. Mine is still in the works.

8. FishRMan

FishRMan

@windfire I have exactly the same problem! Moving to a new bigger flat in pta and decided to put in a tank BUT I also kinda like the paluadrium idea ....and a heavily planted betta setup. I have an old 60litre around with lights and everything but I would also like another community tank. Decisions decisions! So many fish so little money

9. OP
    windfire

windfire

@azurekoi sounds really cool my only problem is that at the end of the year i'm going to have to dismantle it to bring it home so probably the smaller the better if i want to use common sense *sigh* i wish i had my own place so i didnt have to worry about moving out after a year and all that.

@Vis this is really something i could do in my 3ft lol it looks almost exactly like what i was thinking you really making the paludrium idea attractive. though i might do a half half idea to give more swimming space....

@FishRMan aaaaa you understand me lol. everytime i think i've nailed it to one thing i think of something else i want to do lol

i just thought of an interesting scape for a smaller tank though, because this'll be a betta setup i thought of building a sort of step like scape going up both sides of the tank with like planter boxes if that makes sense an maybe something as a focal point, something my art teacher drilled into us lol in an empty avenue down the middle. id have 3 planters with hm, hairgrass and hc on the top. i could use slate to build the back and sides and clad it for a more natural stone look. somehow work in a cave or two for the betta though i think i may have to forfeit the wood lol and a wall of green in the back maybe some bacopa or a moss wall......

10. azurekoi

@FishRMan ... He,he - see I "smokkeled" with your head too...lol

Time to sell that sister....

11. OP
    windfire

windfire

[​IMG]

thinking of something like this, but maybe a bit more structured and the "hills" would be higher....

12. OP
    windfire

windfire

so i'v given up on the 3ft idea, was sitting at the hospital with my BF waiting for the surgeon to see him and had plenty of time to consider it. so i'm thinking a 2ft paludrium setup and then a 1ft with stand by my bed....... yeah i know i said one tank but hey i could have say a double tail in the 1ft and a halfmoon in the 2ft. i'd buy a stand and 1ft and know where i can get one for a price i thought wasnt too bad, of coarse i was eyeing as a suggestion to my mate lol. but without all the goodies i could afford it. and the 1ft should be ok on my desk at home and the 2ft on the otherside of my bed when i move back ..... lol oy vey i'll start off with one and then start the other after april hols i think.

13. FishRMan

FishRMan

Lol I think you mean you have decided for today what to do. By 2morrow the ideas will change. Btw I wouldn't mention to your boyfriend that your only thought while a surgeon waited to see him was your fish!=)

14. Vis

Vis Gerhard

:D yeah shame. Now if you can convince the surgeon to get you BF some gills and a fin then we are in business.

15. OP
    windfire

windfire

lol hey i'm a woman i can multi-task. so i checked out what i'd be looking at for a 12" tank with stand and i'm looking at R295 which i dont think is too bad. heres what i'm thinking, a large "mountain" with moss on, some hair grass around the front of the tank and some hc round the back and some hm in some crevices around the top. i want quite a few caves and tunnels in the mountain for the betta to play in cos they do like to play. I'm going to do this properly and set the tank up with the plantings and let it run for a few weeks with ferts and excel. that way i can double dose things to speed up growth without worrying about killing the livestock. if i get the tank this month i can plant it and let it grow for a month and then get a heater, and possibly a small internal filter. i could also try the natural option without the filter, maybe use a few terrestrial plants/marsh plants as a biological filter. i dont know if i will b able to find a filter small enough to be effective but still be inconspicuous. so what you think? ji'll probably start building my mountain when i move to pta. the tank is about 30cm long by 20 wide and 20 deep.

Recent Posts