Tips on saving power in summer

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Vez, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Vez

Vez

Tips on saving power

Hey all

Please post all the tips you have on saving power, as we know, Eskom loves taking our hard earned cash:

This will also help me, and a few member as we learn some trick from “older†and much wiser aquarists:

Things like, isolation……timers……. Really anything that you think will be valuable to know and to pass on?

Vez

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  2. Guest

3. Lizid

Lizid

I am busy working on a solar system, but will work more later and let you guys know what's the plans.

4. OP
    Vez

Vez

i Have been thinking oof the same thing, using solar energy!

5. Lizid

Lizid

The big problem there is the initial layout, the solar panels and the batteries are not cheap!

6. OP
    Vez

Vez

what??? we got three panels from bid or buy for R1,,,,hehe,

7. Rickus

Rickus

I want a solution for the winter. my heaters were running 24/7. Eina !!!! on the wallet.

8. Lizid

Lizid

Why how did you get that right I have trie but never come right

9. Herve

Herve

It is not summer that is the problem,it is winter time.My electrisity bill was double that what it was last year july.

10. OP
    Vez

Vez

Yip, same with me, i need to change the title....

11. OP
    Vez

Vez

some dude listed them 1hr before closing time, and we won it.

12. Rickus

Rickus

Mine was R 900 and jumped to R 2500 !!!

Keep in mind there was a 30 % increase aswell.

13. OP
    Vez

Vez

was it not 2x25%?

anyway, i know some cover the tank at night, to keep it warm? also you can add glass sliders

14. OP
    Vez

Vez

are two smaller heaters not better than one large one?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  15. Rickus

Rickus

I'm using 2x 300w heaters in each of my 200litre tanks.
    We live in Bethlehem, it really gets cold here.

Solar power, solution anyone???

16. Fanlie

Fanlie

Hey, Ek het dieslefde probleme die eksom is mal prys. 43% extra verhoog te veel.
    Wat ek gedoen polystyrene om die tank en sump en gebruik Jager heater. dit werk baie goed. Ek spaar omtrent 60%.
    Ek sal se vergeet van solar. Waste jou geld, in winter is te koud en min son skyn.

Ek gebruik 1xJager(300w) stel na 28'C en 1xNormal heater 26'C. As een jager broke dat die tank temp gaan af na bietjie onder 26.5'C en ander een heater sal loop.

Kom ons staak vir eksom :) :) :)

17. Rickus

Rickus

Sorry Mods...

Fanlie, hierdie is n Engelse Website ( Forum ). Rede vir die Brits, almal oor die wereld kan dan lees wat ons skryf en is ook welkom om deel te wees.
    Maar kan ek jou n groot guns vra, as jy dalk weer Afrikaans skryf, skryf so dat die ons engelse maatjies in RSA dit kan verstaan. Want ek is in murg en been n boertjie en verstaan nie lekker wat jy geskryf het nie. Ek vermoed jy was bietjie haastig en het n paar woorde uitgelos en jou sinne om geruil.
    No hard feelings, just helping.
    Peace

18. tracyp

tracyp Lotus

Well, this is seriously low tech :)unsure:) and really pretty obvious... but since the beginning of winter I've kept a thick wool/fleece blanket folded over the canopy,back &sides of my tanks during the day, at night I fold it down over the front too. & it does work - on cold days if you slip a hand between the canopy and the blanket, you can feel a distinct difference. My bill this winter is the same as it was last winter (only 2 tanks now instead of one last year.)

Am I the only idiot who has friends sniggering about their cosy-looking fish? :amuse:

19. mydummyname

mydummyname Balala shark

i dont think any non-aquarium lovers would find it hard to understand how far we would go for our fishies :)

but dont worry, on this site, we are all taatie like that over our fish :)

20. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

@Vez... your thread is a bit spɹɐʍʞɔɐq. We all want to save electricity in WINTER when it counts. In summer it's easy... turn off your heater. Finished-and-Kla.
    In Winter it's a bit more challenging. However, here are my suggestions:

- If you have enough surface agitation from your filters, turn off your airpump. Why pump cold air into a tank you desperately trying to keep warm
    - Running multiple filters is sometimes using more electricity that a single filter that is correctly rated for your tank.
    - Whilst I'm not sure on why we can't use geyser water for WC, (No one has actually given us a clear answer), when doing WC in winter, use hot water rather than cold tap water. This reduces the heater's on time.
    - In summer when we have such nice intense sunlight, lower your lighting photo-period by an hour or 2.
    - Cover your tanks with blankets at night. (I don't believe that the styrene around the back and sides work. I saw a test the other day where a guy had 3 tanks with same volume, same heaters and a power meter attached to each heater. One tank was left 100% exposed to elements. second tank had insulation on 3 sides. 3rd tank had insulation on all 4 sides. Tank 3 obviously used the least about of electricity to reach temperature. Tank 1 and 2's difference was so negligible that the guy worked out that it would take him approximately 2-3 months to recover the cost of the styrene as apposed to the savings he made. I'll try dig that article out again... I read it in an old magazine I found lying at my in-laws.)
    - If you don't have too many fussy creatures living in your tanks... turn the temp down a degree or 2 for the winter. (Do with caution, at your own peril)
    - minimize the number of tanks you running. I've discovered that people with 10 tanks have substandard looking tanks compared the the people running 1 stunning tank. I've also noticed that people with more than 3 tanks tend to have more diseases and problems. (Sorry if I offended you if you are running multiple tanks!)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  21. OP
    Vez

Vez

Thanks Zoom

I know is a bit sdrawkcaB!!

as for using semi hot water, i do this in my 3ft. i full the bucket 80% cold and the rest hot, never had any probs, and the last time i lost a fish was about 4 months ago.....

Recent Posts