Tropical tank...........and snails

Discussion in 'General Fish Discussions' started by Oldtimer, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Is there a ready cure for small snails in a fish tank. I have dosed my water with a product that is supposed to kill snails but it did not work, in fact, I think it actually spurred them on the breed more.......

Is there a type of fish I can introduce that enjoys eating snails or is there a specific type of medicine I need to give. I must say the snail stuff I had came with my first tank, the Sun Sun, and could have been beyond it's sell-by date.

Advice please.

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I wouldn't use chemicals to kill snails.

Weigh a piece of lettuce or fresh cucumber down at the bottom of the tank overnight.
    Carefully remove the next morning with all the snails that have been attracted to it.
    If you repeat for a few nights in a row, you should get the bulk of them.

A snail population explosion is often a sign of over feeding and/or insufficient cleaning.
    So you may want to look into that.

4. OP
    Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Thanks, will look into it. The cleaning portion is done regularly every weekend. It could be overfeeding as I am using two auto feeders, one with normal granules and the second with mini granules. The settings on the auto feeders tend to become tricky and I could have set it too "open" hence delivering too much food.

I will try the lettuce trick and see how well that works.

5. braailegend

braailegend

I know people say loaches eats them and snail traps can reduce the numbers. I dont like them, so I just emptied my tank and washed it down with vinegar. Dont have any snails in my tanks

ancistrus likes this.
  6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Why are you using auto feeders if I may ask?
    If you feed by hand, you quickly get a feeling of how much your fish need - just so much that it all disappears in a minute or two.

7. OP
    Oldtimer

Oldtimer

I am out of my house and on the road roughly three to four nights a week and the wife and kids are not as enthusiastic about fish as I am. They used to be but we got two new kittens about a month ago and now they are just playing with them. I bought the auto feeders for when we were on holiday in December for three weeks and I just kept using them. I will revert to hand feeding again. I think the mini granules may be the culprit as the feeder tends to dispose quite a lot of it at a time (once a day).

Reedfish likes this.
  8. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Oldtimer, I agree with all that has been said regarding feeding and trapping them with some vegies in the tank at night

Three or four clown loaches will also keep your tank free of them all the time
    I know everyone is going to say "but they get big"... They take so long to get big enough to out grow your tank that its actually frustrating

I regularly go on the LFS hunting drives looking for decent sized clown loaches and all I can find is 5cm and smaller little guys
    If I find I fairly decent size clown loach once a year I consider myself lucky
    If they outgrew tanks that quickly, there would be loads of big ones for sale at the LFS's

9. OP
    Oldtimer

Oldtimer

I have two loaches already but they cannot cope on their own. I will get another couple and see what happens.

10. rsa

rsa

Assasin snails ?

11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Wow.. ok...

Hahhaha get a few more make them big and fat and I will give them a home... just joking...

The assassin snails might be an option.. I haven't tried as I have never had snails shame... they don't last 2 seconds in my tank...

On a serious note... The assassin snails, the lettuce and the loaches altogether combined with less feeding and you should start seeing a difference

12. Pezulu

Pezulu

I concur on the Assassin Snails.
    Within a month or so you will start noticing empty snail shells in your tank, and within a few more months you are going to be looking for pest snails to feed your Assassins.

Christiaan Duvenage likes this.
  13. DesertConvert

DesertConvert Toad

Establishing, and then maintaining, a proper small-scale ecosystem in a fish tank is super hard. No wonder our planet is going down the tubes. Good luck with the snails. I had a Clown Loach in my previous tank and he decimated the snail population. Perhaps due to the excess feeding they have no need to go for the snails?

Recent Posts