Trying hard!

Discussion in 'New members' started by NikkiF, May 4, 2021.

1. NikkiF

NikkiF

Hi guys,

I've been trying hard to run my established 60 litre tank successfully with guppies. I haven't had much luck, though I've really been trying very hard to keep the tank clean, filtrated and oxygenated, the water quality at healthy levels, and the water at the right temperature. Currently I've still got one male who's been going for a while now and seems to have adapted well. One of the females I bought along the line gave birth to fry, but I've only got two left (three weeks old today). With the fry I might not have been feeding them enough, but will do so more often now. I'll also do more water changes (as I now read that fry need very clean water). My nitrites are at zero and the nitrates are under 20ppm.

I would like to try my hand at guppies one last time (before maybe moving onto other fish), as I feel bad for my remaining three. I have kept goldfish successfully in the past. To be honest, it's been really demotivating to try so hard and to keep having the guppies die in my care.

Can anyone recommend a breeder (other than petshops) who breads good quality guppies in the Pretoria/Centurion area?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Welcome to the Forum

Guppies aren't as hardy as they once were.
    Perhaps try something else in the tank.
    Some of the smaller Tetras would look nice.

4. OP
    NikkiF

NikkiF

Thank you. I'll look into that.

5. Shabir

Shabir

Hi @NikkiF and welcome to TASA

I've had a few friends with the same issue regarding guppies and I am certain it has to do with quality breed. I think your plan to source better quality fish are spot on. Good luck and I wish you all the best.

@King_Triton did get some guppies I think from someone in this group who's in Pretoria if I'm not mistaken. Maybe he can advise

A new day and King_Triton like this.
  6. King_Triton

King_Triton

Hey guys..

That's correct Shabir.. @NikkiF please send me a pm with your number, and I can pass it onto the breeder.

I have gotten some beautiful Endlers for my son's tank from him. They still going strong and breeding well. My son has Corrie's, and couple mollies in the tank as well. All doing very very well and no deaths at all. It's his first tank and he maintains it from what I've taught him.

PM me your number and we can have a chat about the issues you're experiencing. Hopefully will be able to help you.. we're all in this together

Sent from my vivo 1820 using Tapatalk

A new day likes this.
  7. Shabir

Shabir

Excellent. Thought as much, mason needs to get on here and update us on his tank

8. Marilyn

Marilyn

Dont give up,
    It can take some time and trial and error to find the right fish, often the pet stores import fish and they are so stressed and starved that by the time they get to your tank it has all just been too much for them.
    I usually ask the pet stores how long the fish have been in their tanks, if they have just arrived within the week, its too soon to decide on their fate. I only buy fish that have been their a while, for at least 2-3 weeks.

I find that the black line tetras are very strong, I have had a school of 7 for 2years now, and on occasion one or two will get ill, they bloat up and seem to be on their end, but then they suddenly heal up and go back back to normal sized healthy tetras.
    bronze cory's are also excellent, I strated with 3, they laid eggs, I gently removed the eggs and put them into a seperate tank, I now have 18 bronze cory's.
    I also have a pearl Gourami about 2years old, and my columbian Tetras (two of them) are also doing well at 2yrs old.
    I would not suggest any neon or cardinal tetras, every time I buy them they just die off one a time.
    My last suggestion would be White cloud Mino's or golden Mino's.

Keep going, you will eventually achieve an excellent balance in your tank, and find it very rewarding.

9. CharlZA

CharlZA Conductor of the poop train

I would suggest looking at other fish species Guppies and Neon Tetras are so inbred these days that if you look at them funny they die for now reason...

Shabir likes this.
  10. Pieter Henning

Pieter Henning

Hi @NikkiF.
    If you don't come wright you can PM me .I am a endler breader in Rooihuiskraal Centurion.
    Pieter

A new day likes this.
  11. A new day

A new day Moderator

Hallo @NikkiF and welcome to the forum!

Good advice given here.

Could you perhaps post pics of your tank? Do you have live plants in there- will help with water quality and also hiding spots for fry. The adults will eat newborn fry so something like strands of hornwort will help with the survival rate. And yes some powdered flake food.

I’d say give guppies or Endlers another try but try source from a breeder or reputable store to ensure healthy fish. Livebearers are quite prone to internal parasites so that could’ve been an issue.

I also wanted to ask about pH and water hardness but in Pta that shouldn’t really be an issue?

Pieter Henning likes this.
  12. King_Triton

King_Triton

@NikkiF ... Looks like the breeder has come to you. Pieter is the guy I was talking about and was going to put you in contact with.

Thanks Pieter.. I deleted that PM so forgot your name on here, but still got your number.

Pieter Henning, Shabir and A new day like this.
  13. King_Triton

King_Triton

I noticed you said your tank was already established.. did you have die out in the tank, before deciding to add the guppies?

This could affect it if the same biological filtration is being used afterwards.

Shabir likes this.
  14. GaryG

GaryG Fishohollic Comp Coordinator

Hi and welcome @NikkiF, as @A new day says, let us know the Ph & water hardness and post a pic of the tank.. If you are interested I have some Japanese blue endlers that are doing super well... If you don't mind a drive to Brits I will give you few males and females they are super hardy.
    Do you have any live plants in the tank?

Pieter Henning, HugBug and A new day like this.
  15. OP
    NikkiF

NikkiF

Hi guys - thank you for the advice and encouragement, I really appreciate it! My pH is at 7.2 and the KH is at 6dKH.

I use water that we prepare for the lab at my work (research organisation) for the aquarium. It's borehole water that passes through a UV filter and is then treated with Aquasafe and aerated. It's been used for the aquatic lab animals, and seemed to work fine for them. I also let it adjust to room temperature before doing a water change. I keep the aquarium at work (no loadshedding and power cuts, and I've got a good spot away from a window to prevent algal growth, which I don't have at home).

I have an Anubia plant and a Moneywort plant that have been doing well in pots in addition to plastic plants and gravel, but I do want to move over to a planted aquarium with a proper nutrient-rich substrate, establish the existing plants properly and get some more plants.

I've had good chats with King_Triton and Pieter this morning, and will be visiting Pieter to see his setup and chat some more, and to get my tank ready for some Endlers. King_Triton was suggesting to build up the bacterial population in my tank so I'll try and take on board some of that advice as well.

My male guppy and two fry are still around...

Pieter Henning, Shabir and A new day like this.
  16. Shabir

Shabir

You sound like you have a fun job. Looking forward to the outcome of your project. Remember we love pics here

A new day likes this.
  17. OP
    NikkiF

NikkiF

Here is my lone adult guppy. The two fry are there but difficult to see on the photo. Heater is on the right of the photo (not in the frame). Excuse the pink - my 6 year old daughter chose then plants. As mentioned, I want to convert to a planted tank now...

20210505_142834.jpg

18. A new day

A new day Moderator

Hi @NikkiF not sure what your timelines are for converting to a planted tank but it might be easier to do it before you get more fish? The whole substrate change etc - you will lose the beneficial bacteria in the gravel but obviously keep the ones populating the filter (if you keep the biomedia wet etc).

Especially once the fry start pumping again it might be more difficult. Also your 1 male and 2 fry carry a low bioload but should cope just fine with a slight setback in cycling.

When I changed the substrate in my 2 foot I had a mini nitrite spike of 0,5.

Pieter Henning and King_Triton like this.
  19. A new day

A new day Moderator

PS the pH is good for guppies & endlers

20. OP
    NikkiF

NikkiF

Hi @ A new day!

Thanks, yes, I was thinking the same. I'll do the change to a planted aquarium with new substrate and will give it a few days to settle before introducing more fish. I'll post a pic again when I've go things up and running...

A new day and Lord Vader like this.

Recent Posts