Upgrading to my first 4ft tank

Discussion in 'New members' started by cago75, Oct 5, 2020.

1. cago75

cago75

I recently got my hands on a custom 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank with an included 40 gallon sump (all second hand) i have properly cleaned up all the old gunk on the tank. i am currently looking around at getting a stand made for the tank, but the cheapest i have gotten was R1800, so i am still feeling around.

Up until now i have been keeping a single 30gal with boesemani rainbows (i am aware that the tank is too small, part of why i am upgrading) couple cherry barbs and a kribensis cichlid. A bit overstocked, but i have been keeping up with my water changes and they are all still alive after 2 years so i cant be doing too bad.

For the new tank i am planning to set up a malawi cichlid tank, which according to what i have read can be kept with rainbows without much problems. The barbs and krib i will be giving away to family members for their tanks. I want to make a custom slate style background from styrofoam and get black slate rocks for the foreground. I would love to get 30 or so babies, grow them out and keep my favorites, giving away the ones i like less

Now a couple questions for the more experienced fishkeepers: where can i find black slate to use in my scape.
    Second: where do i find african cichlid breeders, or which stores would you recommend most for getting my hands on cichlids especially a mix of young cichlids, if that is at all possible in joburg. i am located in Alberton.

Shabir likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Shabir

Shabir

Following this thread!

All the best on this set up, not sure where to get fish in jhb but I can tell you to research what you will get first and pick a few strains. I started 10years ago with no knowledge and bought a mix of fish only to have most die to aggression. Then I went again and bought more to have the same issue. After that I did a species only tank of yellow labs and by then (almost a year later) I had informed myself on different species. After about 8months I added some Demasoni to the tank and both species lived happily with no issues for 2 years after which I decided to try a mixed species tank with excellent results. So I'd say it took me 3 years or so to get it right

4. OP
    cago75

cago75

Finished up my first couple of layers in my custem background. Starting to get extremely excited

20201009_203703.jpg

T. Guppy, A new day and JimmyHD like this.
  5. OP
    cago75

cago75

Finally finished up on the polystyrene part. Now for painting, sanding and gettin it inside the tank.

20201017_201625.jpg

20201017_201622.jpg

T. Guppy and A new day like this.

Recent Posts