Uv sterilizer

Discussion in 'General Equipment discussion' started by Hooks, May 25, 2019.

1. Hooks

Hooks

Hi

What is the best brand uv sterilizer to get? As I have seen Boyu , ultrazap , pond medic brands. Also how hard is it to find replacement globes for them aswel.

2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

We have been using Ultrazap for years with no problems
    Mine burnt out in the last storm for the first time ever but it was like a direct lightning hit that took my wifi out as well
    Had no problem getting a globe and balast

4. AmithS

AmithS

Are you thinking about an inline or loose tube to put into your sump?

5. Pezulu

Pezulu

I have also been using the Ultrazap for a number of years, with excellent results.
    Replacement UV tubes and crystal sleeves are available at my local LFS, or you could ask your local LFS to order directly from Ultrazap.

https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/ultra-zap-uv-steriliser.27417/

6. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

UltraZap is local AFAIK and spares are easy to find - esp with the number of koi guys that must have it. My first UV was a LFS exclusive brand and to this day I can not easily find new tubes so that is pointless.

Later Ferdie

7. OP
    Hooks

Hooks

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. I'll go for the ultrazap as I can even buy it from takealot.

f-fish likes this.
  8. David Kusner

David Kusner

I just purchased one today from a LFS in turfontein called Turf pet hyper. I have been looking for one of these for ages and was sheer luck they had it available.

I have no idea how well it will work or not, but I will set it up and possibly do a reivew on it if I feel its any good.

It only cosr R550 and I also orderd the spare globe for it as well that I will collect next week.

I will probably get it hooked up to the light cycle and the let it run for a week and then report back on a new thread.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

9. Amakawa

Amakawa Comp Coordinator

@David Kusner, Sobo makes one as well, exactly the same as the one you have. Rebel Pets in Kempton Park normally has stock.;)

10. David Kusner

David Kusner

Never had them when i went thier 2 months ago. Then I almost imported one. Glad I didnt cuase I would have paid almost double.

11. David Kusner

David Kusner

So Far So good, can see the improvement already in algae growth, most is dying and no new growth where I cleaned since the weekend.

12. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Never used a UV my self.
    Does it inhibit algal growth on glass and decor??

13. Pezulu

Pezulu

The UV Steriliser is supposed to eliminate free-floating algae in the water column, as well as destroy harmful pathogens found in the water.
    One of the reasons that UV Sterilisers are popular, is that they eliminate or greatly reduce the risk of some common aquatic diseases.
    Ich, certain flagellates and other bacterial as well as viral pathogens are destroyed when they pass through the UV Steriliser.

UV Clarifiers on the other hand, only impact the free-floating algae in the aquarium, inhibiting the growth of algae due to the algae floating in the water column being killed.
    UV Clarifiers and Sterilisers work extremely well at combating and eliminating algae and bacterial blooms, as they kill the algae and bacteria floating in the water.

Algae on glass and decor still needs to be tackled the old fashioned way.
    Scrape or wipe it off the glass, and spot treat on decor and plants.

MariaS likes this.
  14. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I have been having on ongoing battle with algae ever since my Golden Nugget died.
    Scrape loads off the glass, but a week later, it's back. Must be coming from other parts of the tank (decor which I don't scrub) via the water column?

15. Pezulu

Pezulu

The UV clarifier should assist in reducing or combating the spread of algae, as algae release spores into the water column, which then attach themselves to the glass, plants and decor in the tank.
    By removing the algae spores in the water column you will be limiting the movement of the algae, which should reduce the amount of algae that survives.

Nothing is a quick fix, and you would still need to manually remove algae where you see it, but the job is made a bit easier in that the algae carried in the water column is reduced.

16. Arno

Arno

Really informative thank you!

17. David Kusner

David Kusner

So its my first time as well with a UV filter and I must say, I am impressed. Its definitely stopped the regrowth of algae on the glass where I clean regularly. Decor, I never really had a issue with, but it also cleared the water column for me and made it crystal clear over all, something the 2 canisters and overhead wet dry could not achieve on their own. Overall water capacity is around 500L. Bioload is quite high, due to large fish.

18. Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

If I may jump in and ask... I'm battling to find a price for a uv filter for my 250 litre 4 foot. Anyone seen anything which is sufficient for my size tank? The Sobo is made for 2000 litres plus as far as I can see, and I don't want to break the bank.

Thanks

19. David Kusner

David Kusner

@Lowflyer7 so you should be able to get a small one of around 9w for anout R600. I initially also though I would need quite a big one and most the LFS in JHB that I went to that sold the Ultrazap were trying to sell me big ones. I am all for supporting locally made products but unfortunately Ultrazap just didn't have what I was looking for.

Recent Posts